Steelers Extend Stephon Tuitt 5/$61

MOSteelers56

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

In his role on our defense?  Youre right....they dont let him attack much.

With his SKILLSET, however, he should be in the 7 sack range every year and could push for 10 if they used him the way they probably should.   He has the athleticism and pass rushing ability to get after the QB regularly.

Too often, they use our current DLine like they used our past DLine (Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel).   However, our current DLine has a completely different skillset.  They are built to attack more than they are to eat up blocks for our LBs...especially Hargrave. 

7 I can agree with. I stand by my skill set comment, though. He absolutely has the ability to get after the QB. But an interior rusher with the ability to get after the QB is still very unlikely to hit 10 sacks. Aaron Donald has once. Ndamukong Suh has once. Having the ability to get after the QB as an interior rusher is very different from predicting a 10 sack season.

3 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

7 I can agree with. I stand by my skill set comment, though. He absolutely has the ability to get after the QB. But an interior rusher with the ability to get after the QB is still very unlikely to hit 10 sacks. Aaron Donald has once. Ndamukong Suh has once. Having the ability to get after the QB as an interior rusher is very different from predicting a 10 sack season.

I didnt mean it was likely or even probable....just that he could push for that amount in a given year.

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Good deal for Pitt. As far as the discussion above, people are really sleeping on Mo Wilkerson after one down year. Dude is amazing.

Who is sleeping on him?

And if people ARE sleeping on him, it probably has more to do with the fact that he plays for what many expect to be the worst team in football.     Good players tend to get overlooked more on bad teams.   

9 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

In his role on our defense?  Youre right....they dont let him attack much.

With his SKILLSET, however, he should be in the 7 sack range every year and could push for 10 if they used him the way they probably should.   He has the athleticism and pass rushing ability to get after the QB regularly.

Too often, they use our current DLine like they used our past DLine (Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel).   However, our current DLine has a completely different skillset.  They are built to attack more than they are to eat up blocks for our LBs...especially Hargrave. 

They are 3-4 DE's and their responsibility doesn't really have much to do with getting sacks. Your lucky if you can get 4 or 5 sacks a season out of a 3-4 DE.

4 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

They are 3-4 DE's and their responsibility doesn't really have much to do with getting sacks. Your lucky if you can get 4 or 5 sacks a season out of a 3-4 DE.

Well, in today's game where many teams play near 40-50% in sub packages, if you have an athletic 3-4 DE, his role might have more opportunity for pass rush. The Steelers have been known to drop their DEs into coverage; I don't know how many snaps Tuitt's been asked to drop in coverage, or act in a primary pass rush role, but he is very athletic for a 3-4 DE, so he does have the capability to act in a pass rush role for a majority of snaps; whether he's asked to or not is another question all-together.

8 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I am perfectly aware of that....but as Ward said, defenses spend alot of time in subpackages, and even beyond that,  in the 3-4 base, DEs can be used in different ways depending on their strengths, which is why I said I wish they would use Tuitt and Hargrave more aggressively than they used guys like Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton.    Im not expecting them to be our primary pass rush, but our DLine isnt built with the same type of players it used to be.

15 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Who is sleeping on him?

And if people ARE sleeping on him, it probably has more to do with the fact that he plays for what many expect to be the worst team in football.     Good players tend to get overlooked more on bad teams.   

Agreed, perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

1 hour ago, pnies20 said:

Torn. Out for the year. Ouch.

This is why it's important to sign those extensions - even if you're not maximizing every cent you can get out of it in every fashion - because one injury like this and you're done for the year and your bargaining position takes a hard hit.  Now that Aaron Donald has reported and taken his physical, I wonder how much this might impact his willingness to sign the extension on the table?  Probably not much, considering the position he (and his agent) have taken thus far, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Archived