What's wrong with the Eagles?

Apparition

Wentz can only do so much tbh. I think the core of the bad problems come down to coaching. Howie did a good job putting a roster together to compete amongst the best in the NFL, but his coaches aren’t putting the players in the best positions to win.

On offense, Frank Reich clearly was the guy who designed the plays.. While I think Doug should remain the HC, he needs to fire Groh and hire someone that can design plays. The consistent slow starts are not a personnel issue, its play design. Carson hides most of the issues but it’s still glaring. 

On Defense, JIm schwartz honestly needs to go. I’ve never been a fan of him and his play calling is trash. In the Atlanta game towards the end, he had the corners play press (Douglas on Jones) and it worked great, then for some reason he decided to play off the receiver and it opened up a 50 yard screen for jones.. Ridiculous. When we are up,  he plays prevent defense and allows the team to score through big chunk plays. 

Replace groh and replace Schwartz and the eagles will be fine. 

24 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

DeSean is for sure a loss, but has Sproles even been a factor for them this year?

@Danger @Nabbs4u?

Sproles does more harm than good. I really hate this RBBC.. Doug favors Sproles over all of them and for not good reason... If Howard has a 5 yard play the next play they put in sanders... Running backs need time to find their groove. 

What's crazy is Rodney McLeod is having a great bounceback year, and Malcolm Jenkins is still the smart all around great player he's been for years.

But the rest has been so awful save for some improved play from Rasul Douglas, but even with that he's had some horrendous snaps.

The corners have been hurt and awful...and I'm not sure which comes first.

It's crazy to think if we had corners who could cover for even 1.5 seconds longer, or just not blow their coverage. That probably be near the to of the league in sacks with a dline that's been slow to start and banged up themselves.

I've never seen such failure for a who system because of 1 or 2 guys being out ...well besides Dak when he loses Cooper or 1 lineman obviously

All it takes is to have one bad CB and an entire defense can fall apart unless you've got an absurd front-4. Which they did in 2017. But that unit while still good is not what they were, and the secondary is injury riddled and has a terrible half unit. One weakness and in the modern NFL you can just exploit it over and over. Plus getting unlucky with injuries hitting the same spots (linebacker, CB).

First off, Wentz has played very well this year. He has been put in some awful spots and looks composed and makes the throws every time. He hasn't been perfect, but he has been as good as advertised for sure. 

The CBs can take all the blame for a time.... but our CBs have been terrible for years and we have put a lot of resources into improving them. So why are they so bad? I honestly believe the scheme Jim Schwartz runs is terrible for CBs. It relies on getting above average pressure constantly and puts guys that just aren't equipped to handle top WRs on an island constantly. When Rasul Douglas, a decent press corner who has good ball skills but is just not fast, is matched up one on one with Diggs all game with ZERO help over the top it really makes you question what is going on. At some point you have to stop attempting to force your scheme on the team and adapt and play around your strengths, but Schwartz hasn't changed anything since he got here. Our pass rush has gotten worse, our corners have gotten slower, and our scheme still requires them to play the best WRs in the NFL with no help game in and game out.

This isn't to say this current group of Eagles CBs aren't just terrible, they are. Sidney Jones is a complete bust and should be cut loose whenever we get healthy again. Rasul Douglas who has strengths just doesn't have the top end speed outside of the red zone. Darby even when healthy just looks slow and has been burned so many times. Mills hasn't played this year.... but he is Mills and he is bad. The CBs are definitely terrible, but it feels like everyone but Jim Schwartz recognizes that.

I am not really on board with the idea that our offensive play calling has been terrible this year or since we lost Reich. People have complained about the play calling since Doug Pederson arrived in Philly. I don't think it has been particularly bad at all this year, we seem to at least try to run the ball more than we have in the past and we have been moving the ball relatively well since the Packers game. I think our offense just lacks skill and speed in places where it matters. Getting DJax back will certainly help, but it is far from a fix. Alshon is a good weapon to have, he is a big bodied guy who can make plays with his hands. Ertz is a fantastic route runner with above average hands. Outside of those two our weapons are just not good, and we have no elite talent like a lot of these other teams have.

All in all, we have wasted a ton of draft picks on players who don't contribute at all and it is showing. Our best players have gotten older and our lack of young talent in key areas is apparent. This team can win games, but is just incredibly average overall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

Eagles vs Cowboys will answer an age old question : what happens when a stoppable force meets a moveable object? 

Thought we saw that answered week 2 when the Giants played the Cowgirls? We're not try to follow in your footsteps. Secondary be damn!!

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

All it takes is to have one bad CB and an entire defense can fall apart unless you've got an absurd front-4. Which they did in 2017. But that unit while still good is not what they were, and the secondary is injury riddled and has a terrible half unit. One weakness and in the modern NFL you can just exploit it over and over. Plus getting unlucky with injuries hitting the same spots (linebacker, CB).

But what happens when you legit have 4 weaknesses at CB from Starter to Dime? That's where the Eagles are right now, Purgatory. 

When Rasul Douglas your 5th string CB now your #1 is asked to play on a Island against a WR with twice the speed, don't be surprised by the results. I'm not!

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Oh ok, I thought I heard Dak had signed for $40M+/year.   As far as Wentz being a check down guy for 2 years, I kind of discounted that because of his coming back from the injury.  He is kind of like Rodgers in that he makes a lot of his big plays when he escapes the pocket and throws on the run.  I figured they were protecting him from doing that and trying to keep him in the pocket more so he doesn't reinjure the knee.  I guess I need to watch more games.  

Wentz has no one who can go beyond 15 yards down the field in all but 1 game this season (the first game where he had two bombs to DJax). The Vikings played 10 guys within 5 yards of the LOS most of the game yesterday because they knew no one is going to stretch the field at all

27 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

All in all, we have wasted a ton of draft picks on players who don't contribute at all and it is showing. Our best players have gotten older and our lack of young talent in key areas is apparent. This team can win games, but is just incredibly average overall.

Aside from Carson, who's developed on this team that was drafted in 2014 or later? Because I really can't think of one player. The best one is the Green Goblin Jalen Mills, who is still a below average corner. This team has been plugging holes with free agents, and it costs more, and means quicker turnover time. We haven't developed anyone really and it's hurting right now.

Edited by Danger

49 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

First off, Wentz has played very well this year. He has been put in some awful spots and looks composed and makes the throws every time. He hasn't been perfect, but he has been as good as advertised for sure. 

You guys advertised him as a MVP candidate. He is 18th in rating, 5th in QBR, 27th in comp %, 16th in ypg and 14th in ANY/A. So Im going to disagree that he has lived up to his "advertisement". He has been thoroughly average.