Fix The Defense

coordinator0

1 minute ago, berlin calling said:

so, how are they gonna go about the ILB situation in the offseason with only Board and Alaka signed for next season as of today. 

i want them to sign Scherff away from Wash in FA to be the successor to Yanda so a big FA acquisition is out of the question obviously :ph34r:

Draft pick + re-signing Onwuasor to some low deal would be my guess.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Well yeah which is why we have (and have had since last year, I believe) the most expensive secondary in the NFL and it's not even close. The difference being that last year we also had a solid pass rush that could be relied on to provide pressure. This year we don't have that and so you're seeing that it doesn't even matter that we have Marlon and Earl, because they'll just pick on the other guys all day long.

The bulk of that expense isn't on the field though. And obviously Jefferson's $$$ doesn't reflect value lol. Our CBs made the pass rush and Wink's scheme work last year. Marlon and Earl alone can't form a great coverage unit(Especially when Earl is misplayed). You do see Marlon win against a WR nearly every rep though, which is something even the Elite pass rushers can't do.

That's the thing. You can trust even a bad line to block long enough to take a shot against a lesser CB or have a decent WR win quick.

17 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

The bulk of that expense isn't on the field though. And obviously Jefferson's $$$ doesn't reflect value lol. Our CBs made the pass rush and Wink's scheme work last year. Marlon and Earl alone can't form a great coverage unit(Especially when Earl is misplayed). You do see Marlon win against a WR nearly every rep though, which is something even the Elite pass rushers can't do.

That's the thing. You can trust even a bad line to block long enough to take a shot against a lesser CB or have a decent WR win quick.

I mean my point here is that Marlon is SHUTTING DOWN whoever he is lined up against, but it has no impact. I whole heartedly believe if you translated that amount of dominance to a pass rusher, the team would be better off as a unit.

I do believe that if we have Peters and Humphrey playing solid ball, AND WE UTILIZE EARL FREAKING THOMAS PROPERLY, we can adequately hide the #3 CB being played by Carr/Canady/whoever. However, we simply have not been doing with that Earl Thomas. We've been blitzing him, playing him around the LoS, playing him in hook zones, etc. and just letting our bad corners get exposed on islands all day long.

With Peters' tendencies to jump routes, that's going to end badly.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I mean my point here is that Marlon is SHUTTING DOWN whoever he is lined up against, but it has no impact. I whole heartedly believe if you translated that amount of dominance to a pass rusher, the team would be better off as a unit.

No impact? lol That's pretty strong. So you're saying if we transmuted Marlon into a Top 5 Pass Rusher we'd be fielding a better defense? Hot take, but you're entitled to your opinion. 

11 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I do believe that if we have Peters and Humphrey playing solid ball, AND WE UTILIZE EARL FREAKING THOMAS PROPERLY, we can adequately hide the #3 CB being played by Carr/Canady/whoever. However, we simply have not been doing with that Earl Thomas. We've been blitzing him, playing him around the LoS, playing him in hook zones, etc. and just letting our bad corners get exposed on islands all day long.

So as someone who is pretty familiar with the Seahawks, you don't think our usage of Earl Thomas has been apt to this point? You don't think it's been ultra confusing for defenses?

It's so frustrating lol. I hope he speaks his mind on the subject to Wink at some point. This trend of signing safeties to big contracts and then giving them unfamiliar/ill advised assignments is beyond agitating.

36 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

No impact? lol That's pretty strong. So you're saying if we transmuted Marlon into a Top 5 Pass Rusher we'd be fielding a better defense? Hot take, but you're entitled to your opinion. 

Definitely my own opinion, but I absolutely believe so. SF has nobody in their secondary besides Sherman and because of their pass rush, they're a great defense. 

So as someone who is pretty familiar with the Seahawks, you don't think our usage of Earl Thomas has been apt to this point? You don't think it's been ultra confusing for defenses?

No and who knows. Seattle didn't need to hide ET or confuse offenses. They knew where he was going to be and yet he still made impacts on plays OR just completely removed all deep passes from even being attempted. I don't know what idea Wink had/has with how he's using ET, but I generally don't notice him on the field and yet I see teams moving the ball up and down against us.

It's so frustrating lol. I hope he speaks his mind on the subject to Wink at some point. This trend of signing safeties to big contracts and then giving them unfamiliar/ill advised assignments is beyond agitating.

Cannot agree more.

Keep in mind Biggie Marshall is probably the player that will be brought back from IR and I'm sure he's fully recovered from his "injury" already so, after the bye, the secondary could look like: 

RCB: Marcus Peters/Jimmy Smith
FS: Earl Thomas/Bennett Jackson
SS: Chuck Clark/Anthony Levine
NCB: Brandon Carr/Maurice Canady
LCB: Marlon Humphrey/Iman Marshall

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Keep in mind Biggie Marshall is probably the player that will be brought back from IR and I'm sure he's fully recovered from his "injury" already so, after the bye, the secondary could look like: 

RCB: Marcus Peters/Jimmy Smith
FS: Earl Thomas/Bennett Jackson
SS: Chuck Clark/Anthony Levine
NCB: Brandon Carr/Maurice Canady
LCB: Marlon Humphrey/Iman Marshall

lol I get what you mean but Iman actually was injured. It sucked too, he barely got to play in the preseason.

The good thing about Iman is he has so much experience and has been in every situation, albeit at the CFB level. 5 Star recruit to 4 Year Starter. He knows what it means to have expectations and experience pressure. In the very least, at least we know he isn't likely to collapse in on himself as some Rookies can. Great week at the Senior Bowl and a solid showing in camp despite getting injured early. 

We shouldn't expect anything, but it won't hurt to have another option/body at the position come back to us.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, M.10.E said:

1. We traded basically nothing. If he was still good we would've had to actually give up much more than what we did.

2. I believe we have the team that can handle someone like him.

Low risk, high reward.

I tried to elaborate in one of the other threads. I am still trying to figure out whether he was bad in a scheme or due to him playing his assignments in a way that didn't fit with what the coaching staff wanted. My post might have been too hasty, but I think the needle for me is slowly moving in a more positive direction.

While he can be a good teammate as players have come out saying on social media, he might also be a player who ticks off the coaches.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I want to like this idea, but with Earl Thomas at FS, how viable would Brandon Carr be as a SS? He's not very physical and also doesn't have great size. This, to me, reads like we want Earl playing around the LoS with Carr playing the back end but I can't imagine this coaching staff being that incompetent.

We have three safety looks with our big nickel package. He would fit in there there. He also has above average coverage still. He was destroyed in that one game against Landry but besides that has looked above average in the other games. He was our best cover option on Kelce and when we put him on Auden Tate he slowed him down.

But back to the package, we saw the last game Clark did some LB work as well as deep safety look. We had ET doing his thing with mixing it up and sort of playing more of a Troy P type role within the defense, and Elliot had some work where he was managing some zone looks, providing double teams on WRs, and doing some man coverage work. That could be a role we resign to Carr as a “safety”. If that makes sense.