Fix The Defense

coordinator0

Here's the thing... I don't really think our defense is going to be "fixed" this year to a state where it's actually particularly good. We swung and missed on our plan for the front-7 in the offseason (the linebackers we wanted to emerge didn't, the rushers we wanted to sign didn't) and our secondary has been beaten down by injuries. 

It's a very weird state for us to be in, given the teams we've had in the past. I absolutely think we can make the playoffs with Lamar carrying us there, and I want to see us be as good as we can. But, the ceiling of this team is just going to limited this year because of the defense and the fact that we don't have the receiving group to be a win a shootout team on a weekly basis. I don't think we should be making any drastic win this year moves mid-season. 

I think we can build this defense back very quickly, but it's going to take an offseason of signings and draft picks, not a quick fix or two.

• Like 2

As Wacky said, a complete fix for this defense won’t happen this year – unless some players we expected to break out completely changes their trajectory (looking at Bowser, Onwuasor, Young, Board, Averett).

Our front office did try to put some band aids on the defense, but only Earl Thomas and McPhee was brought in to a team which essentially had to replace Urban, Zardarius Smith, Mosley, Suggs, Weddle.

Adding first Jimmy Smith and Tavon Young to the injury report and now Jefferson (although I didn’t think he played that well compared to his contract) and Elliot, we are down more than half of last years starters.

When neither of the young guys our front office counted on taking the next leap can produce, it will be a season where we have to try and stop the leak, and then wait for the off season to change the pipes that needs changing.

I still somewhat believe we are in a good position to have a good defense, and we might have a much improved defense after the bye, now that we have been able to diagnose the issues that needed fixing.

While I know we keep talking about what happens when Jimmy Smith comes back, we have seen year after year how he is a cornerstone who elevates the rest of our defense, because we can play coverages and therefore blitzes different.

From the looks of it, pass rusher jumped to our greatest need next year competing with IOL.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Pass rush is fine according to ESPN's stat:

I'm sorry but that stat has to be including blitzes. It just has to. EVERYONE, from the fans to the beat writers to the freaking coaches knows that our pass rush is not good, but supposedly it's the 2nd best in the NFL? Nope, either that stat is including blitzes or it's a god awful stat.