Who wins a hypothetical Patriots - 49ers matchup?

Apparition

The Twin Princes v. The Old Demon Kings - who ya got?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. The Twin Princes v. The Old Demon Kings - who ya got?

• 49ers
    • Patriots

2 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

Patriots. The 49ers have a phenomenal defensive line that would suffocate their run game, but they would find a way to out scheme them and generate enough offense to force Jimmy G to beat them.

There isnt a single skill position player the patriots have on offense that would be a mismatch for our defense other than edelman. Meanwhile, our DL would be in Bradys face all game long. Brady from 2 years ago is probably ok, but the Brady I saw on thursday would not fare well against the GOLD RUSH 

• Like 1

Patriots offense struggled a ton when they came up against a pretty good defenses like Bills...Niners defense looks as good as Bills...if not probably better..also unlike Bills, their offense is atleast competent. So, I would say Niners would edge it in a tight battle

Edited by upriser7

2 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Belichick will load the line and force the 49ers to pass the ball. GOATroppolo will deliver, throwing a beautiful pass directly into the arms of Stephon Gilmore, who returns it 69 yards (hawt) for a TD. Pats win 7-0.

He will load the line and Matt Breida will slip through the initial wave of patriots for the house call. 

Then on the next drive George kittle will pretend to stop and tie his shoe and then slip away for the easy teeder

10 hours ago, N4L said:

There isnt a single skill position player the patriots have on offense that would be a mismatch for our defense other than edelman. Meanwhile, our DL would be in Bradys face all game long. Brady from 2 years ago is probably ok, but the Brady I saw on thursday would not fare well against the GOLD RUSH 

I agree with you that on paper the 49ers have a huge advantage in talent, especially up front, but I've seen this so many times before. The Patriots were overmatched personnel wise against the Seahawks in 2014, Broncos in 2015, Falcons in 2016 and Eagles in 2017. Probably the Rams last year, too. Dante Scarnecchia just coaches every ounce out of their linemen. It really doesn't matter how talented the Patriots offesnive line is, you're not just going to get to Brady without your back end holding up. I'm not saying the 49ers couldn't win, but they'd have to score 20+ points.

• Like 1

If our OL did not improve from now until then, 49ers would win.

If it does, and Tb is clean and receivers can do their thing - it would probably be the usual. Our D would be a problem, but Shanahan would test it! I think it would ultimately come down to how well Jimmy plays - if he kept giving us the ball, I doubt we'd pass up those gifts.

Defensive struggle again.

54 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

If our OL did not improve from now until then, 49ers would win.

If it does, and Tb is clean and receivers can do their thing - it would probably be the usual. Our D would be a problem, but Shanahan would test it! I think it would ultimately come down to how well Jimmy plays - if he kept giving us the ball, I doubt we'd pass up those gifts.

Defensive struggle again.

No team is scoring 20+ in this game. Definitely will be a defensive struggle. I think IF Staley/McGlinchey are healthy, the 49ers OL should hold up well against the Patriots front, but you know BB is not going to let Kittle get off, so you are relying on some young, inconsistent WRs against THAT secondary? Then on the other end can the Patriots OL hold up against the Niners front? Both teams have questions at WR so yeah, get ready for a 17-10 or 20-17 type of game. 

I will say though that the Saints may be the best all around team in football with Brees. That team has no weakness and are just loaded all around. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No team is scoring 20+ in this game. Definitely will be a defensive struggle. I think IF Staley/McGlinchey are healthy, the 49ers OL should hold up well against the Patriots front, but you know BB is not going to let Kittle get off, so you are relying on some young, inconsistent WRs against THAT secondary? Then on the other end can the Patriots OL hold up against the Niners front? Both teams have questions at WR so yeah, get ready for a 17-10 or 20-17 type of game. 

I will say though that the Saints may be the best all around team in football with Brees. That team has no weakness and are just loaded all around. 

Saints are, yeah. I'll have to look at how JAX held them to 3 for three quarters, but they seem uber-rounded. I thought DAL were as well, but that was premature. Would be worried about GB in the NFC.