Bold prediction: Jared Goff will be benched!

Elky

3 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

They both would have sucked with Doug Marrone as the head coach.

Doug Marrone won 9 games with Kyle Orton and EJ Manuel as his QB. Also won 10 games and appearance in AFCCG with Blake Bortles.

Doug wins even with crappy QB’s, so he would have success even with Goff.

Just now, ET80 said:

But he was still better than Goff in the SB. I think that's the point we're trying to get across.

Watson didn't make the Superbowl. He was playing at home. Statistically I suppose he was better. 

And the point of the original comment was to troll. Evaluating QBs off any 1 game is idiotic.

And this isn't a Goff vs Watson thread. Watson has clearly been better and looks better going forward. I just have no patience when Watson for years has had so many defenders (justifiably) say his offensive line sucks and then scoff at other fanbases saying the same thing. The Rams offensive line was bad to start the year and we are now down 3 starters. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Watson didn't make the Superbowl. He was playing at home. Statistically I suppose he was better. 

Their trajectories are both the same to this point:

- Neither made the playoffs Y1.

- Both lost their only playoff game at home Y2.

Watson will have to make the SB this year to keep this going, so we'll see. 

4 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

And the point of the original comment was to troll. Evaluating QBs off any 1 game is idiotic

I can agree to this 100%, but I think the original comment was around how Watson had more at his disposal and/or had a better supporting case, which is abjectly false. Watson has a much worse supporting cast (especially at OL) and still threw for 4,000/26 while rushing for 500/5.

I'll find the original comment in this thread - it really stood out to me.

6 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

And this isn't a Goff vs Watson thread. Watson has clearly been better and looks better going forward. I just have no patience when Watson for years has had so many defenders (justifiably) say his offensive line sucks and then scoff at other fanbases saying the same thing. The Rams offensive line was bad to start the year and we are now down 3 starters. 

I get the Rams OL is bad, but Watson's OL was historically bad - as in, one of the worst in history, Watson was under pressure on close to 50% of his passing plays. And that was the starting OL, not a line down three starters - goodness knows how it would be if that OL lost a few starters.

The Rams OL is bad, sure. I don't think it's as bad as that Texans line from last year.

20 hours ago, DannyB said:
23 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

No. He’s still 25 and learning. Playing behind a crappy OL. He’s not gonna get everything super fast like Mahomes or Watson but eventually in a year or two you’ll see him understanding 

Yeah! That lucky bastard Watson, who has played his whole career behind an all-world offensive line.

@LeotheLion - this comment here. 

23 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

We interpreted that differently. I took the Rockys comment as praise that Watson has learned to play from less than ideal circumstances, not that he's had it easier. 

I took it as he had it easier, but on second view, I could see how it's actually learning to play under less than ideal circumstances.

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

Okay... 

Watson was a disaster in that game. 

That's the effing point. He didn't play well, but STILL did enough that, if only Goff had done the same, they would have won the freaking Super Bowl.

GOFF COULD HAVE HAD A BAD GAME AND STILL WON A SUPER BOWL

10 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Rams fans seem to be in denial about Jared Goff. Paint by numbers Goff isn't getting it done when the system has been exposed:

What a strawman. Show me the Rams fans in denial.

Unless it is denial to say the offensive line is awful and he shouldn't be benched. 

4 minutes ago, DannyB said:

That's the effing point. He didn't play well, but STILL did enough that, if only Goff had done the same, they would have won the freaking Super Bowl.

GOFF COULD HAVE HAD A BAD GAME AND STILL WON A SUPER BOWL

We lost by 10. I don't think you have a point. 

55 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

And the point of the original comment was to troll. Evaluating QBs off any 1 game is idiotic.

I'm sorry if criticizing Goff comes off as trolling. I can assure you I'm not trolling at all. If any criticism of Goff seems to be trolling, maybe you should examine THAT.

Watson has found success DESPITE a crappy O-line. That's the point. Sure, his athleticism gives him an advantage, but I originally brought it up because there was a post that was saying he won't get better as quickly, like Mahomes and Watson, due to his crappy line. That's a dumb statement. Watson has had to get better as a QB despite his line, can Goff do the same?

Oh keep in mind, Goff has also benefited from being coached by supposed wunderkind Sean McVay, and a roster that, at least prior to this year, was probably as talented, top to bottom, as any in the league. Watson? His coach is Bill freaking O'Brien. I'd say on balance, Goff has been in a much more enviable situation.

What I'll say is this, to be fair to Goff...

It is still too early, in either direction, to make a conclusion about Goff. I don't think he'll ever be an elite quarterback, but he might be good. He might also suck, it's just too early. He's GOT to improve though. He's got an arm, but he's gotta get better at reading defenses (independently, not from the teat of older brother Kid Gorgeous on the sideline). So, he could still work out. And as far as the question of the thread, I cannot possibly fathom how or why he would get benched for Blake Bortles. He's definitely better than that dude.

18 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

We lost by 10. I don't think you have a point. 

He also drove them down the field for 2 field goals, and to the 1 yard line so the RB could plunge in for another TD.

I'm sorry, do you think QBs only matter when they're throwing TD passes?

39 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I took it as he had it easier, but on second view, I could see how it's actually learning to play under less than ideal circumstances.

I meant that Watson and Mahomes picked up on the processing of the QB position a lot easier than Goff did. 

I think Goff will eventually get a good understanding of the position even though younger guys like ones mentioned above got there faster than he did. 

I actually think Watson is the best young QB overall because of his less than ideal circumstances 

• Like 1