Bold prediction: Jared Goff will be benched!

Elky

9 minutes ago, DannyB said:

I'm sorry if criticizing Goff comes off as trolling. I can assure you I'm not trolling at all. If any criticism of Goff seems to be trolling, maybe you should examine THAT.

Watson has found success DESPITE a crappy O-line. That's the point. Sure, his athleticism gives him an advantage, but I originally brought it up because there was a post that was saying he won't get better as quickly, like Mahomes and Watson, due to his crappy line. That's a dumb statement. Watson has had to get better as a QB despite his line, can Goff do the same?

Oh keep in mind, Goff has also benefited from being coached by supposed wunderkind Sean McVay, and a roster that, at least prior to this year, was probably as talented, top to bottom, as any in the league. Watson? His coach is Bill freaking O'Brien. I'd say on balance, Goff has been in a much more enviable situation.

What I'll say is this, to be fair to Goff...

It is still too early, in either direction, to make a conclusion about Goff. I don't think he'll ever be an elite quarterback, but he might be good. He might also suck, it's just too early. He's GOT to improve though. He's got an arm, but he's gotta get better at reading defenses (independently, not from the teat of older brother Kid Gorgeous on the sideline). So, he could still work out. And as far as the question of the thread, I cannot possibly fathom how or why he would get benched for Blake Bortles. He's definitely better than that dude.

You need to stop commenting on this because you’re running around in circles

Edited by rocky_rams
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DannyB said:

He also drove them down the field for 2 field goals, and to the 1 yard line so the RB could plunge in for another TD.

I'm sorry, do you think QBs only matter when they're throwing TD passes?

I have no earthly idea what you are talking about. I thought you were talking Watson but apparently Brady... 

Before you make your next post, read it over and determine if it makes sense. 

Edited by LeotheLion
  • Like 1

Let’s see, since 2017, 2 pro bowls, super bowl appearance; 71 TDs, 28 INTs, 11000 yards, with a completion rate of 62%.

if Goff gets benched at any point in the next 2 years, then ownership should fire every person associated with that decision..

It’s not just Goff, the team is struggling as a whole.  And besides, doesn’t the team that loses the super bowl historically struggle the following year...  that was supposedly the reason we weren’t allowed to criticize Cam Newton in 2016....

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I get the Rams OL is bad, but Watson's OL was historically bad - as in, one of the worst in history, Watson was under pressure on close to 50% of his passing plays. And that was the starting OL, not a line down three starters - goodness knows how it would be if that OL lost a few starters.

The Rams OL is bad, sure. I don't think it's as bad as that Texans line from last year.

Texans line is bad, but if we’re being honest, Watson causes a good handful of his own sacks, and it never gets mentioned..

44 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Oh keep in mind, Goff has also benefited from being coached by supposed wunderkind Sean McVay, and a roster that, at least prior to this year, was probably as talented, top to bottom, as any in the league. Watson? His coach is Bill freaking O'Brien. I'd say on balance, Goff has been in a much more enviable situation.

Umm, hasn’t Bill O Brien lived off of his reputation as a QB guru?

54 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

I meant that Watson and Mahomes picked up on the processing of the QB position a lot easier than Goff did. 

I think Goff will eventually get a good understanding of the position even though younger guys like ones mentioned above got there faster than he did. 

I actually think Watson is the best young QB overall because of his less than ideal circumstances 

I misread your original post, my b. :D

• Like 1

I saw someone say this on here the other day, and it surely was a statement made to cope with their QB's 2019 struggles (forget which one).... BUT it still rang pretty true to me. Basically, you have a very select group of elite QBs, and then just a jumble of guys, worthy of the franchise QB label, who live and die by their cast for the most part. They can have amazing years when everything's clicking just as easily as they can have awful seasons when nothing is going right. They're not super consistent, they can play brilliant 1 game, and poor the next. They are what one should come to terms with to expect out of the QB position, getting anything more is to be one of the 4 or 5 fan bases blessed with an elite QB.

Off the top of my head I'd give nods to Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, and I'll even say Mahomes until proven otherwise, as the elites.

Then there's Wentz, Watson, Goff, Dak, Stafford, Cousins, Carr, Ryan, Cam, Ben, Rivers, maybe some others . . Not casting judgement for better or worse on the <2 year QBs although I feel a handful of them qualify as well.

Am I saying all these QBs are equal? No, but they're not elite, yet are QBs worth keeping that you can win SB w/ (ie franchise QB).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, frenchie said:

Texans line is bad, but if we’re being honest, Watson causes a good handful of his own sacks, and it never gets mentioned..

I see it mentioned plenty. I think most would identify it at this point as one of his main weaknesses to work on, taking too long to go through progressions or trying too often to make plays out of nothing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I have no earthly idea what you are talking about. I thought you were talking Watson but apparently Brady... 

Before you make your next post, read it over and determine if it makes sense. 

*sigh* I am talking about Watson. That's what he did against the Patriots last year. 20 points would've been enough for Goff to win the SB.

4 hours ago, DannyB said:

Oh my god. Hold up. Are you saying -- and I need you to be very clear with this -- that Bill O'Brien is a good football coach?

I'd venture to say he's average. Not great/not bad. Basically he's much like Jason Garrett though he pretends to act like he's Bill Belichick or Sean Payton. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DannyB said:

Oh my god. Hold up. Are you saying -- and I need you to be very clear with this -- that Bill O'Brien is a good football coach?

No, I’m not saying he’s good, but he’s certainly not the screw up you’re making him out to be.  All I said is that he was hired with the reputation of being a QB guru.

—winning record every year except 2017 when Watson was injured and Yates and Savage were starting games..

—been to playoffs 3x, with a good shot to go this season; the franchise had only been in the postseason twice prior to his arrival...

I’m not crazy about him, but I’m calling BS on you’re obvious exaggeration ...

6 hours ago, frenchie said:

No, I’m not saying he’s good, but he’s certainly not the screw up you’re making him out to be.  All I said is that he was hired with the reputation of being a QB guru.

—winning record every year except 2017 when Watson was injured and Yates and Savage were starting games..

—been to playoffs 3x, with a good shot to go this season; the franchise had only been in the postseason twice prior to his arrival...

I’m not crazy about him, but I’m calling BS on you’re obvious exaggeration ...

I wonder if making the postseason has anything to do with a solid roster and -- OH! -- that Watson dude arriving!

In this league, by and large, if you have a good QB, you're gonna slip into the playoffs. Think of the subpar coaches that Philip Rivers has gotten into the playoffs with.