Bold prediction: Jared Goff will be benched!

Elky

This is when you know people who believe Goff should be benched or Goff all of a sudden is terrible has lost their minds. Goff has no running game and a poor oline. You cant make any judgement on him this season. Like I can clearly make a judgment on Dak. I think anyone who brags about Dak numbers compared to Wentz and Goff makes yourself look bad. Dak numbers look really good but yet the Cowboys are (6-5) which is the same record as the Rams. How could that be? Dak is having a career year and Goff is having a year to forget yet both teams have the same record. Dallas is so fortunate to be playing in the NFC L(EAST) division and I honestly think they still will choke like they always do under pressure because they are just one game up on the Eagles. Not that Im banking on the Eagles, Im just expecting the Cowboys to do what they always do and thats disappoint when everyone have expectations from them. So yeah Dak numbers look great because he played the tanking Dolphins, the terrible Redskins, and the terrible Giants twice. He padded his stats when Cowboys was getting blown out in the 1st half against the Packers and Jets. The all those stats were empty because the Cowboys practically lost being down so big. Ok Ill give him the Jets game because they did have a shot in that game at the end but still they were down big and Dak essentially got his stats too late. Dak did nothing against the Patriots and the Saints for the entire game. The only impressive game he looked good in that wasnt against a completely terrible team was against the Eagles. The Eagles are terrible but they arent completely terrible. Like I dont put them in the same category as the Dolphins, Redskins, Giants, and Jets. So just think about this while people are bragging about Dak. When statistically Goff had really good numbers at this time last season, the Rams was (10-1). Not just that but the Rams did beat the Chargers who made the playoffs, the Vikings whom up until Week 17 was a playoff team, the Seahawks twice whom was a playoff team. The Cowboys havent beaten a team this season with at least a .500 record and thats with Dak impressive numbers. If you gave Goff the Cowboys oline and yes Zeke isnt playing to what we know he should play, he is playing better than Gurley. At least he is getting the opportunities in touches. You give Goff that and he not only will be having similar numbers as Dak but he will have the team better than (6-5). Like facts are facts. The past two seasons the Rams had a running game and an oline, Goff played well and the team was very successful. Goff rookie season and this season he had no running game and an poor oline, he struggled and the team isnt winning very much. So to say Goff is all of a sudden bad or just regress is foolish. You cant judge Goff until you see him with a solid oline and a decent running game. If he still is struggling then you can make the judgement of regression or him just being bad.   

Edited by stl4life07

45 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

This is when you know people who believe Goff should be benched or Goff all of a sudden is terrible has lost their minds. Goff has no running game and a poor oline. You cant make any judgement on him this season. Like I can clearly make a judgment on Dak. I think anyone who brags about Dak numbers compared to Wentz and Goff makes yourself look bad. Dak numbers look really good but yet the Cowboys are (6-5) which is the same record as the Rams. How could that be? Dak is having a career year and Goff is having a year to forget yet both teams have the same record. Dallas is so fortunate to be playing in the NFC L(EAST) division and I honestly think they still will choke like they always do under pressure because they are just one game up on the Eagles. Not that Im banking on the Eagles, Im just expecting the Cowboys to do what they always do and thats disappoint when everyone have expectations from them. So yeah Dak numbers look great because he played the tanking Dolphins, the terrible Redskins, and the terrible Giants twice. He padded his stats when Cowboys was getting blown out in the 1st half against the Packers and Jets. The all those stats were empty because the Cowboys practically lost being down so big. Ok Ill give him the Jets game because they did have a shot in that game at the end but still they were down big and Dak essentially got his stats too late. Dak did nothing against the Patriots and the Saints for the entire game. The only impressive game he looked good in that wasnt against a completely terrible team was against the Eagles. The Eagles are terrible but they arent completely terrible. Like I dont put them in the same category as the Dolphins, Redskins, Giants, and Jets. So just think about this while people are bragging about Dak. When statistically Goff had really good numbers at this time last season, the Rams was (10-1). Not just that but the Rams did beat the Chargers who made the playoffs, the Vikings whom up until Week 17 was a playoff team, the Seahawks twice whom was a playoff team. The Cowboys havent beaten a team this season with at least a .500 record and thats with Dak impressive numbers. If you gave Goff the Cowboys oline and yes Zeke isnt playing to what we know he should play, he is playing better than Gurley. At least he is getting the opportunities in touches. You give Goff that and he not only will be having similar numbers as Dak but he will have the team better than (6-5). Like facts are facts. The past two seasons the Rams had a running game and an oline, Goff played well and the team was very successful. Goff rookie season and this season he had no running game and an poor oline, he struggled and the team isnt winning very much. So to say Goff is all of a sudden bad or just regress is foolish. You cant judge Goff until you see him with a solid oline and a decent running game. If he still is struggling then you can make the judgement of regression or him just being bad.   

To quote Shakespeare; "Brevity is the soul of wit."

That's a lot of words to tell everybody to be patient

Edited by Breesus mode
  • Like 3

I whole heartedly at this point believe that Wentz and Dak will have pendulum swings throughout their career. If you flip the calendar back one year to the day, it's a very different story. 

This is a thread about Goff though, I think we just need to accept this season from him for what it is and see if he has any luck adjusting in the off season along with McVay.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

You cant judge Goff until you see him with a solid oline and a decent running game. If he still is struggling then you can make the judgement of regression or him just being bad.   

Sure we can. We can judge him exactly for that.  

It's becoming more and more obvious that Goff needs competent offensive line play to succeed, and without it his play significantly falls off. He's a very good rhythm passer and plays best when the running game is working and he can work the play action with reduced pressure. That might be the kind of QB he is, and that's okay. On the other hand, someone like Watson doesn't need that luxury. He's capable of playing behind a poor line, maneuvering the pocket when things break down, and keeping drives alive off script. I wouldn't say it's unfair to make these assessments here and now.

The notion that we have to wait for Goff, or any player, to land in an ideal situation before we can cast judgement is a little unrealistic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

It's hard to read your posts if you're not gonna use paragraphs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

It's becoming more and more obvious that Goff needs competent offensive line play to succeed, and without it his play significantly falls off. He's a very good rhythm passer and plays best when the running game is working and he can work the play action with reduced pressure. That might be the kind of QB he is, and that's okay. On the other hand, someone like Watson doesn't need that luxury. He's capable of playing behind a poor line, maneuvering the pocket when things break down, and keeping drives alive off script. I wouldn't say it's unfair to make these assessments here and now.

The notion that we have to wait for Goff, or any player, to land in an ideal situation before we can cast judgement is a little unrealistic.

Unless you can run around like Lamar, Watson, or Wilson every QB need a competent oline to succeed. Its naive to think any QB dont need a competent oline. Goff isnt a scrambler so he needs a solid oline. Thats not a knock on him at all. Why would a team just say if our QB is great lets just give him a poor oline and let him show us his greatness? The reason why Luck is retired is because the Colts decided for the longest to not give him a solid oline. When they finally did it was too late because the injuries was piling up and Luck didnt want to risk it. Warner was a great QB, you think he wouldve stood a chance behind this Rams current oline? He had one of the best oline guys in NFL history in Pace anchoring it. Then as I talk about Watson, if the Texans arent trying to fix the oline Watson is going to get killed and his is mobile. Dude had to ride the bus last season because he was so hurt badly he couldnt fly. So no Im not buying that you can judge a QB based on him playing behind a bad oline and no running game. You are literally sitting him up to fail. 

Edited by stl4life07

The numbers may say otherwise but Goff has been playing much better recently. 

He’s a pocket passer and pocket passers need at least an average OL. McVay hasn’t been doing him any favors calling predictable pass plays. We never run out of shotgun formation. So defenses always know it’s a pass. 

Goff does need to get better at reading post snap defenses, pocket movement, and his long windup. Those are all things that can be fixed. It just takes some QBs longer to grasp it than others. Unfortunately Goff is one of the ones it takes longer to grasp  

Geoff looks pretty average this year and is definitely not playing good ball, but neither is that team as a whole.  He is still a young player, if I were the Rams I would stick through this patch.  McVay also should be looked at here, he is having a bit of a slump year.

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Pretty much every QB needs a competent offensive line. Notice I'm not saying elite but just not give up consistent pressure on 4 man rushes. Almost no offense can function if the defense is dropping 7 into coverage and getting to the QB in a hurry. The 49ers and Steelers game are perfect examples of this. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Unless you can run around like Lamar, Watson, or Wilson every QB need a competent oline to succeed. Its naive to think any QB dont need a competent oline. Goff isnt a scrambler so he needs a solid oline. Thats not a knock on him at all. Why would a team just say if our QB is great lets just give him a poor oline and let him show us his greatness? The reason why Luck is retired is because the Colts decided for the longest to not give him a solid oline. When they finally did it was too late because the injuries was piling up and Luck didnt want to risk it. Warner was a great QB, you think he wouldve stood a chance behind this Rams current oline? He had one of the best oline guys in NFL history in Pace anchoring it. Then as I talk about Watson, if the Texans arent trying to fix the oline Watson is going to get killed and his is mobile. Dude had to ride the bus last season because he was so hurt badly he couldnt fly. So no Im not buying that you can judge a QB based on him playing behind a bad oline and no running game. You are literally sitting him up to fail. 

Nevermind.

• Like 1