Bold prediction: Jared Goff will be benched!

Elky

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

QB A was Peyton Manning. QB B is Jared Goff. Both were 23 to 25 years old during those stretches. There are only 5 QBs in NFL history who posted 10,000+ passing yards, 80+ passing TDs, and a 95+ passer rating over their second through fourth seasons in the NFL. They are: Kurt Warner, Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz, Dan Marino, and Jared Goff. I expect Patrick Mahomes (and maybe Deshaun Watson) to join the club next year.

You know passing stats are inflated for all QBs. It took 20+ years from QB1 to QB2. Its going to take less than 3 years for #'s 4-8.

6 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

And QB's in that range always get threads about them needing to be benched right? 

it was a bold prediction thread, and to the credit of OP, it was in fact a bold prediction. 

there's no reason for the OP's thread to come under fire. His target happened to be Goff. Someone's else's might have been Kirk Cousins. Rammy's may have been Jimmy G. If I made one next year, maybe it's about Baker Mayfield. OP was just the one who happened to make the thread. 

Obviously after the fact, it spiraled a little bit. 

7 minutes ago, DannyB said:

So wait...your cherry picked stats have him hovering somewhere just outside the top 10 in QB rating for the whole season? I mean, sure. Seems about right.

My cherry-picked stats extrapolate to over 5200 passing yards, 35 passing TDs, 13 Ints, and a 98.2 PR in a season. Those are the sort of numbers that would land you a Pro Bowl selection, at minimum. But go off, pal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You know passing stats are inflated for all QBs. It took 20+ years from QB1 to QB2. Its going to take less than 3 years for #'s 4-8.

Cool. I'm not claiming that Goff is better than Manning. I'm noting that the people who don't understand that young QBs have down years before they hit their primes are doofuses. 

• Like 1

Just now, jrry32 said:

Cool. I'm not claiming that Goff is better than Manning. I'm noting that the people who don't understand that young QBs have down years before they hit their primes are doofuses. 

how-the-turntables-gif-3.gif

TBH - For a bold prediction thread, this is probably one of the more interesting ones. Goff did in fact have a down year. Most the time these are terrible 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

It’s so easy to see the motivation into his posts, it’s hilarious. Go into the Kamariabthread and point out how bad that looks now and one of his next posts will be in another thread hyping some other saints player or passive aggressively insulting someone from your team.

His posts are pure comedy. 

I don't think the Rams will regret his contract but next year will be a big year as you said.

8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

how-the-turntables-gif-3.gif

TBH - For a bold prediction thread, this is probably one of the more interesting ones. Goff did in fact have a down year. Most the time these are terrible 

My issue with Dak has never been that he has had up and down play. That's common in young QBs. My issue is that when I've watched him, I've never felt like he's going to be a top QB. Even in games where his numbers were good, I wasn't blown away. He strikes me as a guy who is good enough to ride with but will never be great.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

And QB's in that range always get threads about them needing to be benched right? 

The notion that Goff should be benched for Blake Bortles is effing insane.

However, a discussion about whether or not Goff is the long-term answer at QB, or exactly how good or not good of a starter he is, is completely fair game.

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

Bumping a month old thread because your team got bounced. You love to see it. 

And this was clearly never about the Rams. If it was you'd know Bortles isn't on the team next year. 

Please stick to the topic instead of trying to derail it with your own personal gripes. Do you see Goff as the long term answer still for the Rams?

44 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

My cherry-picked stats extrapolate to over 5200 passing yards, 35 passing TDs, 13 Ints, and a 98.2 PR in a season. Those are the sort of numbers that would land you a Pro Bowl selection, at minimum. But go off, pal.

Whoa, hold up...the PRO BOWL!? Damn I'm sorry, I thought that was only reserved for amazing quarterbacks like Derek Carr, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, Teddy Bridgewater, Jameis Winston, Eli Manning, Tyrod Taylor, Matthew Stafford, Nick Foles, Matt Schaub, Matt Cassel, David Garrard, Vince Young, Jay Cutler, Kerry Collins, Derek Anderson, Matt Hasselbeck, Jeff Garcia, and...oh! Jared Goff!

Bulk yardage means nothing, and 13 interceptions isn't great. And again, that's the BEST stretch of games you picked.

Look, I don't know how good Goff will ultimately be. But it's totally fair to think he's not what the numbers from the first half of '18 suggested he could be, and perhaps the Rams overpaid.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Forge said:

it was a bold prediction thread, and to the credit of OP, it was in fact a bold prediction. 

there's no reason for the OP's thread to come under fire. His target happened to be Goff. Someone's else's might have been Kirk Cousins. Rammy's may have been Jimmy G. If I made one next year, maybe it's about Baker Mayfield. OP was just the one who happened to make the thread. 

Obviously after the fact, it spiraled a little bit. 

It was another in a long line of garbage thrown at the kid. Made by one of the well I'll refrain to avoid a ban. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

Bumping a month old thread because your team got bounced. You love to see it. 

And this was clearly never about the Rams. If it was you'd know Bortles isn't on the team next year. 

Lol he should take out this energy on the Vikings. He can’t because his team got beat at their own home in the playoffs...again

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Please stick to the topic instead of trying to derail it with your own personal gripes. Do you see Goff as the long term answer still for the Rams?

To stick to the topic at hand, yes I do see Goff as the long term answer for the Rams. 

I would imagine he would be around longer for the Rams than Brees for the saints. 

Edited by rocky_rams

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Because the media and madden games have trained certain fans' brains to essentially become robots (aka believing every hot take they read), instead of actually trying to understand as to why a player has a down year after coming off a good one.  

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

My issue with Dak has never been that he has had up and down play. That's common in young QBs. My issue is that when I've watched him, I've never felt like he's going to be a top QB. Even in games where his numbers were good, I wasn't blown away. He strikes me as a guy who is good enough to ride with but will never be great.

I have no dog in this fight, but I have always felt this same exact way about Dak. When he is on, he is really on! But when he is bad, he is really bad! And that puts an organization in a peculiar place.

Don't get me wrong, Goff can be streaky in the same way at times, but addressing/fixing his mishaps seemed to be easier than Dak's is. 

And this is not meant as an attack against the Cowboys fans because, again, I don't care one way or the other. It's just my opinion.

• Like 2