Bold prediction: Jared Goff will be benched!

Elky

12 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Both have been let down by other circumstances, it's not ALL on them of course, 

This is the biggest thing for me. I feel like I'm constantly defending Goff even though I acknowledge he hasn't been great either, but the situation around him is directly proportional to his regression. 

17 minutes ago, JonStark said:

This is the biggest thing for me. I feel like I'm constantly defending Goff even though I acknowledge he hasn't been great either, but the situation around him is directly proportional to his regression. 

Most quarterbacks are their situation. People are just reticent to admit it

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JonStark said:

The offensive line may not be playing great, but he still has a ton of talent around him. The Rams have 3 receivers that would be the #1 on the Giants, and several other teams around the league. 

15 minutes ago, Gmen said:

The offensive line may not be playing great, but he still has a ton of talent around him. The Rams have 3 receivers that would be the #1 on the Giants, and several other teams around the league. 

Yeah you're right that some of it's on him, but it doesn't matter who you have at WR if you can't get a quality pass attempt off. 

14 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

This is almost as bad as the "Kyle Allen will replace Cam Newton when he's healthy" takes. 

But no bortles sucks so hard just no.

Bortles > Goff (before McVay)

If McVay could turn around Goff, why not Bortles?

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

The Rams have Atlanta and Cincinnati coming up. Goff can pass on them. However, it doesn't seem like that offense is going to go anywhere consistently until the offensive line is fixed. And they lost another starter in the 49ers game, don't know for how long. Don't think Goff seeing the bench is the answer at all.  He's 24. Everyone knows what Bortles is, and his ceiling. 

Being young doesn't mean anything. Plus Bortles is 27 and was mostly poorly coached in his career. McVay can turn him into a franchise QB. 

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

It's amazing how much an offensive line matters to a QB. 

Great QBs make up for deficiencies elsewhere on the roster.  Guys like Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, and Deshaun Watson have excelled despite having less than stellar offensive lines.

Maybe Goff and Mayfield are simply overrated and never were as good as most thought. 

30 minutes ago, VanS said:

Great QBs make up for deficiencies elsewhere on the roster.  Guys like Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, and Deshaun Watson have excelled despite having less than stellar offensive lines.

Maybe Goff and Mayfield are simply overrated and never were as good as most thought. 

When did anyone put them in the same tier as Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, and Deshaun Watson? 

Goff and Baker are good QB, but they are not on the level of the guys you mentioned yet. People just love talking in extremes. With a decent (or in Goff's case, anything above a bottom 5) OL, they would be fine. 

1 hour ago, Elky said:

Being young doesn't mean anything. Plus Bortles is 27 and was mostly poorly coached in his career. McVay can turn him into a franchise QB. 

It means inexperience. 27 is still young. Goff can get better with more experience, and has already experienced success. Giving up on him at 24 years old, after having two good seasons is pretty stupid. He has the arm talent to succeed, as has been indicated. 

Bortles threw 35 touchdowns one year in Jacksonsville with Nathan Hackett, and then regressed. Could McVay turn him around? Maybe. I don't see it with his natural inaccuracy though. We're talking about a career 59% passer in 2019. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, JonStark said:

When did anyone put them in the same tier as Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, and Deshaun Watson? 

Goff and Baker are good QB, but they are not on the level of the guys you mentioned yet. People just love talking in extremes. With a decent (or in Goff's case, anything above a bottom 5) OL, they would be fine. 

I mean there were Rams fans (not saying you specifically) in the past 12 months that were comparing Goff to a "young" Tom Brady, stated they would take him over Mahomes, and some appeared to be insulted that posters compared Goff to Eli Manning (Prime years obviously not current Eli). 

Maybe a look through this will refresh some memories of the pedestal some were placing Goff on:

• Like 2