Bold prediction: Jared Goff will be benched!

Elky

55 minutes ago, VanS said:

Ok.  Now lets go to 2016 when Brady was suspended for the first 4 games and the Patriots went 3-1 with their two backup QBs. 

I'm not saying Brady is trash.  He's an excellent QB.  But he's not the GOAT.  Or really even close to it.  There are many QBs who are more talented who if put in his situation would also win 6 rings.   And you don't need to worry about Belichek trading Brady for Watson.  Even the Texans aren't dumb enough to do that trade right now.

Give Belichek Deshaun Watson and he could win another 6 super bowls if he wanted to keep coaching.

This statement is one of the worst I have ever seen in regards to football. And that's saying it a lot.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, JonStark said:

When you get used to getting hit on every play, your mental clock gets thrown off and you start feeling ghosts. He does need to get a little more mentally tough to avoid letting that phase him though. 

While I get that a QB can get rattled after taking hits, him taking hits probably isn't going to change any time soon. If he is to live up to that huge contract he just signed to be a franchise QB for the Rams, he needs to overcome this and as you stated needs to be a little more mentally tough.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

While I get that a QB can get rattled after taking hits, him taking hits probably isn't going to change any time soon. If he is to live up to that huge contract he just signed to be a franchise QB for the Rams, he needs to overcome this and as you stated needs to be a little more mentally tough.

Agreed 100% but last year SB buys him a bit More time. We’ve been super spoiled the last 2 years. Almost that pats mentality where they expect to win 12-13 games a season and compete.. I know you ain’t talking though Brees is the only elite QB to have lots of losing seasons when compared to the goats (manning and Brady and the elites) and I’ve seen you use the Oline, Defense and everything to defer blame from Brees. So pretty hypocritical of you. 

See though even the Oline hasn’t been the best it hasn’t been the worse. The main issue is the scheme. Mcvay hasnt adapted. He still wants the long developing route. We rarely throw screen passes we rarely use quick wr screens. Things to keep the pass rush honest. We rarely mix it up there. Everything is medium to long range and mcvay needs more bubble screen stuff. It’s pretty annoying how teams play us now.  Makes me wonder if he even learned from the SB, what the hell did you do all off season brother? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Agreed 100% but last year SB buys him a bit More time. We’ve been super spoiled the last 2 years. Almost that pats mentality where they expect to win 12-13 games a season and compete.. I know you ain’t talking though Brees is the only elite QB to have lots of losing seasons when compared to the goats (manning and Brady and the elites) and I’ve seen you use the Oline, Defense and everything to defer blame from Brees. So pretty hypocritical of you. 

Pretty much just the defense, which was historically bad several times.  The offense and oline had some down years but were never garbage.  Brees wasn’t in MVP form those years, but wasn’t bad either.  

In any case, people are being stupid and overreacting about Goff.  Bad games and bad stretches happen, even to HoFers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

Or you were just a hater last year trying to go against the grain and luckily for you, their teams didn't do what they needed to do to protect them in the offseason (this is mostly about the Rams because I know a lot less about the Browns). Goff looked great last year when we had a functional offensive line and I'm honestly not sure how anyone can disagree with that without intentionally trying to. 

Actually no.  When I'm wrong about something I actually fess up to it pretty quickly.  For example, I wasn't high on Courtland Sutton and Denzel Ward before the 2018 Draft.  It didn't take but a few preseason games for me to admit I was very wrong about them.  I know view Courtland Sutton as one of the best young talents at the WR position in the entire league and if Denzel Ward can stay healthy (which I still question) he's one of the best young talents at the CB position.  So I'm not just a hater or someone who is hard-headed and sticks my head in the sand as new information comes in.

The reason I never bought into Goff or Mayfield is because unlike most I don't allow short-term success to trick me.   I focus less on the results and more on how the player does it.  All stats and wins aren't created equal.  Sometimes a guy can have success but its more because of who he has around him than his own individual talent (see Dak Prescott in 2016).  I looked at the talent surrounding Goff last year and knew most of his success was due to those other players.  As well as McVay being a genius coach at the time.  Same with Baker.  The Browns contrary to what people tried to say about them last year were extremely talented.  Without Mayfield, they were competitive at the start of last year playing both the Steelers and Saints tough in weeks 1 and 2.  They would have been a 7 win team last year with or without Mayfield.  Most people just decided to give Baker credit for all those wins they racked up late in the season against sub .500 teams.

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Mayfield is only in his second year at QB. He's been disappointing, no question, considering how good he looks last season, but the OL has looked worse and the league has had a year to figure out his tendencies. It's about about moves and counter-moves...I'm definitely not going to lose hope with Mayfield. I'm not sure about Goff. He has also been blessed by his situation and this sudden regression with the loss of Gurley likely says something. But again, Goff is also a young QB...he can get it figured out.

Last year was the fluke when it comes to Baker Mayfield, not this year. 

For the record, I felt the same way about Mayfield before the 2018 draft that I feel right now.  I was confused as to why everyone had him rated as a 1st round caliber QB.  I thought he lacked the physical traits to be an elite QB in the league.  The only thing he had going for him other than his cocky attitude was his collegiate success.  And when it comes to his success at Oklahoma I thought it was more a byproduct of that scheme and coach than Mayfield having transcendent ability.  We've seen in the succeeding two years two other QBs (Kyler Murray and Jalen Hurts) go into that same scheme and put up better numbers.  Once you take away that college success, what is Mayfield?  He's an undersized, unathletic guy without elite football intelligence like a Peyton Manning who can make up for having subpar physical tools.  Everyone was trying to compare Mayfield to Russell Wilson and Drew Brees before the draft.  I thought that was insane.  IMO his closest NFL comp was Rex Grossman.

Right now Baker Mayfield looks exactly like Rex Grossman. 

1 hour ago, Elky said:

Both Jimmy Garappolo and Jacoby Brissett have been doing very well for their respective teams. Even Cassel had some success in KC. We've done an excellent job at disaster control in case something happens to Brady. Investing in a quality backup QB is something not nearly enough teams do.

And Tom Brady is absolutely the GOAT. Practically all of his peers agree with that sentiment. Even Deshaun Watson probably thinks that. The guy nearly took Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins to the Super Bowl. To say Watson would win 6 Super Bowls as our QB when he hasn't won a playoff game yet is a sign that you're delusional.

Like I said before.  I'm not saying Tom Brady isn't great.  But nobody is calling Garrapolo or Brissett the GOAT.  Tom Brady's ACCOMPLISHMENTS might say he's the greatest of all-time.   But he's not the GOAT to me because I don't judge players simply on their accomplishments.  I judge them just as much on how they do it.  Tom Brady has been the beneficiary of a situation that almost every other great QB would envy.  The fact lesser talents like Cassell, Garappolo, and Brissett have had success with Belichek is proof to me that if you put an elite talent like Watson with Belichek he would have just as much (if not more) success as Brady.

1 hour ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Why you gotta bring Brees into this? We are talking about how Goff has played individually. I'm not even calling for Goff to be benched. He's obviously trending down, but I think he can turn it around. He may not ever be a top 5 type QB, but I think he's likely a quality starter going forward. I just think in the overall picture he has been a bit over hyped at times.

As for calling me hypocritical, it's a team game and a piss poor defense certainly can effect "a teams" win/losses. I think most people would come to that conclusion. Hence the case of Brees where my Saints fielded some of the worst defensive units in decades. That can statistically be backed up and is hardly hypocritical in this case. When have I used the OL to defer blame from Brees? I've stated our run blocking hasn't always been consistent, but our pass blocking has been great almost every season Brees has been with the Saints. I suppose part of that could be on Brees as well since he is an elite QB and can process the field incredibly quick to get the ball out quickly and accurately.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, VanS said:

Like I said before.  I'm not saying Tom Brady isn't great.  But nobody is calling Garrapolo or Brissett the GOAT.  Tom Brady's ACCOMPLISHMENTS might say he's the greatest of all-time.   But he's not the GOAT to me because I don't judge players simply on their accomplishments.  I judge them just as much on how they do it.  Tom Brady has been the beneficiary of a situation that almost every other great QB would envy.  The fact lesser talents like Cassell, Garappolo, and Brissett have had success with Belichek is proof to me that if you put an elite talent like Watson with Belichek he would have just as much (if not more) success as Brady.

LOL. So now Watson is better than Brady every wasxD

Success always breeds haters

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Pretty much just the defense, which was historically bad several times.  The offense and oline had some down years but were never garbage.  Brees wasn’t in MVP form those years, but wasn’t bad either.  

In any case, people are being stupid and overreacting about Goff.  Bad games and bad stretches happen, even to HoFers.

was brees getting paid 36 million during these years? That's what Goff will be paid next year and then its basically 30m a year after that. 

1 hour ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

LOL. So now Watson is better than Brady every wasxD

Success always breeds haters

In terms of talent?  Absolutely.  Watson has a bigger arm and is significantly more athletic.  When you consider intangibles, Watson is right there.  Only difference is Watson holds onto the ball too long which leads to more hits and ultimately makes him less durable.  In terms of pure talent he's better.  Its why he went in the 1st round while Brady lasted till the 6th.

With that said, lots of QBs have been more talented than Brady.  Even he would admit that.  And Belichek definitely knows that which is why he never pays Brady top dollar.

Edited by VanS