Top 5 Defenses

BayRaider

So last year, we had literally no elite defenses IMO. Just offensive slugfests everywhere. Ravens D and Bears D was solid but definitely not elite. This year, however, we have four defenses that look amazing right now. Defensive football is back and I’m happy for it. 

My Rankings: 

1. Buffalo Bills

You might have New England here but in six games they have played like five bottom seven offenses. Yikes... the Bills Defenses looks absolutely elite. This is the best defense I have seen since the 2015 Broncos personally. Although I definitely wouldn’t put them on that defenses level. Sean is doing phenomenal with this group and is definitely a Coach of the Year candidate. 

2. New England Patriots

One of Bellichicks best units he has assembled. Elite Defense and very dominant. I wouldn’t be surprised if they fell to the 4th on this list as the season goes on though. 

3. Minnesota Vikings

Viking D is elite. I feel they don’t get as much love as the Niners (way worse offense) or Bears (less defensive star power) but they are a better defense in my opinion. This team can shut down anyone and has faced tougher offenses overall than the other two teams I mentioned. 

4. San Francisco 49ers

We still need to see more of this defense but it absolutely looks elite. Bosa looks like a Top 10 Defensive Player already and that front seven is Nasty! 

5. Chicago Bears

Bears still have a great defense. Not sure they are elite and that may end at #4 though. Seen them fade in the 4th QTR way too much this year. Still though, Mack is probably the best defensive player in football with Donald and Fuller is a Top 5 Corner. Roquan is also a beast. 

Honorable Mention #1: New Orleans Saints

The Saints are taking care of business and locking teams down defensively lately. If Brees comes back healthy, we may just have to tab the Saints as Super Bowl Champion favorites. Scary team. 

Honorable Mention #2: Carolina Panthers

Rivera has put together another spectacular defensive unit. That defensive line is absolutely amazing and it’s just a solid unit all the way around. 

Saints D has impressed me.  They did an admirable job against the Seahawks before giving up garbage scores.  Completely shut down Dallas and the Jags, and held the Bucs, who have had no trouble scoring points this season, to under 20 minus garbage scores  Aside from their usual opening week disaster, they've been playing like a top ten unit.  The Dline is legit, and secondary playing better than they had been.

I think they'll have a few bad games before it's all said and done though, that will keep them out of elite status.

This was a thread in April I believe exact title.  And like SteelKing728 said with the Vikings, they do not have a shutdown corner.  Rhodes has not been nearly as good as he was and Waynes has been picked on a ton.  Just on that reason alone the Vikings cannot be super elite until they get elite CB play.  Also Kendricks gets picked on in the passing game a lot, is poor in coverage but they are top 5 no doubt based on talent at every level and Griffen playing back like a great speed rusher again combined with Hunter who is one of the best DEs in the league if not the best arguably.

Bills I agree is an elite D.  Edmunds is an All Pro I feel, great ILB and could be the best in the league.  The DL is solid especially with Oliver on board and White is a great corner.  The other linebackers in Milano can really run and Alexander provides a good rush also and Wallace has done great from Bama UDFA corner.  

Bears on paper are still the best in terms of talent, Smith being out and Hicks has hurt them but if they are all healthy they are crazy good on the DL with athletic big strong pass rushers.  Athletic linebackers with range, safeties with great range and solid CB play.  But hurts that offense is nothing great that is for sure and they cannot keep up the turnover and or TD numbers they had last year.  Without the turnovers and big plays and or TDs on D things look different especially with a injured starting QB and a weaker run game than last year.  

14 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Saints D has impressed me.  They did an admirable job against the Seahawks before giving up garbage scores.  Completely shut down Dallas and the Jags, and held the Bucs, who have had no trouble scoring points this season, to under 20 minus garbage scores  Aside from their usual opening week disaster, they've been playing like a top ten unit.  The Dline is legit, and secondary playing better than they had been.

I think they'll have a few bad games before it's all said and done though, that will keep them out of elite status.

Yeah the Saints with that secondary are super impressive and deep.  Very young and very talented, fine DL especially when Rankins and Brown are in there, solid LB play as well Davis and Anzalone when healthy, surprised Alonso has not played better though.  

Patriots though are probably the best with the best secondary in the NFL no question about it, 8 legit NFL defensive backs on that roster and it is the deepest overall DB unit in the NFL.  Good edge rushers and smart linebackers.  On paper statistically they have been the best in the league I believe.  

3 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

I have 

1. Patriots

2. Bills

3. Bears

4. 49ers

5. Vikings

I think that this should be the general consensus for the top 5 with the Saints just on the outside looking in maybe, but pretty close. You can mix and match the order of the top five however you'd like, but I do believe those are the top five as of right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

Saints D has impressed me.  They did an admirable job against the Seahawks before giving up garbage scores.  Completely shut down Dallas and the Jags, and held the Bucs, who have had no trouble scoring points this season, to under 20 minus garbage scores  Aside from their usual opening week disaster, they've been playing like a top ten unit.  The Dline is legit, and secondary playing better than thy had been.

i think youre being pessimestic about your own team. if you define elite top 3-4 then they many not get there but theyre pretty easily top 6-7. Seems like once brees went out they got together as a group and just said theyre gonna carry the team. lattimore was pretty bad to start the year but if he can play like he has the last 3-4 weeks then that will go a long way in the d holding up. 

I don't think Vikings are an elite Defense...they are pretty good but not elite...few things that Vikings Defense is missing are - a shutdown corner and Interior Pressure. 

Based on what I've seen so far this season, I would be say Elite defenses are Pats, 49ers, Bears, Bills. I would put likes of Vikings, Saints etc in the next tier

Edited by upriser7

2 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

i think youre being pessimestic about your own team. if you define elite top 3-4 then they many not get there but theyre pretty easily top 6-7. Seems like once brees went out they got together as a group and just said theyre gonna carry the team. lattimore was pretty bad to start the year but if he can play like he has the last 3-4 weeks then that will go a long way in the d holding up. 

Top 6-7 maybe.  I'd consider that fringe elite.

Not necessarily pessimistic, but they've proven themselves to be a bit inconsistent the last couple of years.  The secondary has been very torchable at times.  Demario Davis and the dline are the only ones I have faith in to be consistently solid to great.  The secondary will have it's ups and downs.  Although I give them credit lately, Lattimore has been lock down and Eli is doing his job as well. 

Maybe I'm being too harsh, because they really only had one truly bad game this year, and still managed to give up less than 30.  Even still, I expect a few more bad games from the secondary at least.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

This was a thread in April I believe exact title.  And like SteelKing728 said with the Vikings, they do not have a shutdown corner.  Rhodes has not been nearly as good as he was and Waynes has been picked on a ton.  Just on that reason alone the Vikings cannot be super elite until they get elite CB play.  Also Kendricks gets picked on in the passing game a lot, is poor in coverage but they are top 5 no doubt based on talent at every level and Griffen playing back like a great speed rusher again combined with Hunter who is one of the best DEs in the league if not the best arguably.

Bills I agree is an elite D.  Edmunds is an All Pro I feel, great ILB and could be the best in the league.  The DL is solid especially with Oliver on board and White is a great corner.  The other linebackers in Milano can really run and Alexander provides a good rush also and Wallace has done great from Bama UDFA corner.  

Bears on paper are still the best in terms of talent, Smith being out and Hicks has hurt them but if they are all healthy they are crazy good on the DL with athletic big strong pass rushers.  Athletic linebackers with range, safeties with great range and solid CB play.  But hurts that offense is nothing great that is for sure and they cannot keep up the turnover and or TD numbers they had last year.  Without the turnovers and big plays and or TDs on D things look different especially with a injured starting QB and a weaker run game than last year.  

Yikes, that thread people were wayyyy off. The Jaguar Defense is average, the Raven Defense is above average (8-10 range) Cowboy defense is above average (same thing), Charger Defense is average, and the Titan Defense is above average (10-12 range). 

9 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Top 6-7 maybe.  I'd consider that fringe elite.

Not necessarily pessimistic, but they've proven themselves to be a bit inconsistent the last couple of years.  The secondary has been very torchable at times.  Demario Davis and the dline are the only ones I have faith in to be consistently solid to great.  The secondary will have it's ups and downs.  Although I give them credit lately, Lattimore has been lock down and Eli is doing his job as well. 

Maybe I'm being too harsh, because they really only had one truly bad game this year, and still managed to give up less than 30.  Even still, I expect a few more bad games from the secondary at least.

I agree. But I'm not sure that I'm ready to say that there any worse than many of the other teams on the list who have either played a joke strength of schedule or also don't have a track record of success before this season. The Saints defense is a very good unit with their DTs back. Since getting Onyemata and Rankins back they have been incredibly difficult to run against, and the secondary's communication issues have improved considerably. I'm pretty sure that the defense plays a much better job against the Texans if they get a second go at it. The Saints are currently 5-1 with the toughest SOS in the NFL, and that is almost completely due to the defense and special teams. The offense under Teddy Bridgewater has been pretty painful to watch outside of the Bucs game.

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

I agree. But I'm not sure that I'm ready to say that there any worse than many of the other teams on the list who have either played a joke strength of schedule or also don't have a track record of success before this season. The Saints defense is a very good unit with their DTs back. Since getting Onyemata and Rankins back they have been incredibly difficult to run against, and the secondary's communication issues have improved considerably. I'm pretty sure that the defense plays a much better job against the Texans if they get a second go at it. The Saints are currently 5-1 with the toughest SOS in the NFL, and that is almost completely due to the defense and special teams. The offense under Teddy Bridgewater has been pretty painful to watch outside of the Bucs game.

Yea I haven’t watched many of the other teams. Maybe their D is no better, maybe they’ve benefitted from a weak schedule.  I just think, even garbage points aside, we’ve given up a bit too many points to be ranked among the truly elite.  Over the course of a full season that is.  No doubt they’ve been elite lately though, and they’ve carried the offense.