Is this the worst year of officiating since 2012?

y*so*blu

2012, as if I need to remind anybody, was the year the games were called by scabs due to the referee lockout.

Could be wrong, but week after week I'm hearing about awful calls and no-calls in multiple games. It's not just fans talking about them but the broadcasters as well. What the heck is going on? O.o

• Like 1

I don’t know about that. But one thing I know for sure is that Bill Vinovich has a personal vendetta against the Rams. 

We caught one big break with him last year in NOLA but he’s back to his old self in screwing us every possible way. 

According to myself, his wife may have had an affair with Stan Kroenke so Vinovich’s vocational’s life mission is to screw the Rams into oblivion.  

And with modern technology it’s almost willful ignorance by the NFL.  They could have people reviewing these calls in near real time correcting the issues.

A simple message via headset from the booth could have reversed the above call. “Hey bro, that was a clean block”, and they pick of the flag.

It would take no more time than what they already spend huddling up to discuss calls as is.

• Like 5

The lack of overturns on the challengeable penalties just goes to show you the real flaw in the officiating. It's that the officials are indignant and don't like being told they're wrong. And unfortunately the head official they all refer to backs them up 100%.   If the men can't handle getting yelled at in their face by coaches and then getting called out with reviewable video evidence then they don't deserve to call the games. Their emotions shouldn't play a part in getting the calls right.

Edited by RabidPanther89
  • Like 1

For a long time, refs have used an excuse about not being full time referees. With some of the calls this year, it has nothing to do with being full time or not - when a ref after review stand by their call, when everyone from spectators in the stands, people on the sideline, the press box and the viewers at home can see the call is wrong, then it has to be something else.

Ticky tack calls are difficult, I think we all acknowledge that, but when everybody gets frustrated and mad, it is because of the inconsistent calling from play to play or flags being thrown because refs "believe they saw something". 

The Jarvis Landry Block Video posted reminds me of something I overheard from a ref back when I was playing. During af kickreturn we had a block on a player and a flag was thrown for illegal block or something which negated a touchdown. The conversation went something like this

Ref 1: "I saw his head move, so I threw the flag"

Ref 2: "but did you see anything illegal?"

Ref 1: "I saw his head move so I think it was a block to the helmet"

And that was basically the conversation, with the result that the TD was called off. The ref who threw the flag never saw anything illegal, but saw something which could be illegal. THIS is what I think often happens. In the name of making the game more safe, refs make calls like illegal helmet to helmet, roughing the passer etc. when they THINK it happens, although they didn't see it happen.

The worst I saw this year was week 5 Steelers Ravens, where both teams couldn't even keep up the usual hatred towards eachother because all the hatred went towards the refs. The steelers had a roughing the passer call go against them late in the game that helped Ravens set up a field goal. The steelers defender made a clean wrap up tackle on Lamar Jacksons thighs and then "slid" down holding his lower legs - just like he should. My bet is the refs only saw where the Steelers defender ended up instead of what had happened and they threw a flag on what  they believed happened instead of what happened.

• Like 1

People say officiating is bad every year.  There are missed calls every year, especially in the first half of the season.  

I don't see what makes this year any different than the others.  I'd say the year illegal contact was being called 24/7 was farrrrr worse than anything that has happened this year.

• Like 2