Is this the worst year of officiating since 2012?

y*so*blu

55 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

People say officiating is bad every year.  There are missed calls every year, especially in the first half of the season.  

I don't see what makes this year any different than the others.  I'd say the year illegal contact was being called 24/7 was farrrrr worse than anything that has happened this year.

What makes it worse this year is there are new rules that nobody wants and that they randomly throw flags for when there is ZERO evidence.

Just now, pnies20 said:

What makes it worse this year is there are new rules that nobody wants and that they randomly throw flags for when there is ZERO evidence.

What are the new rules?

And randomly throwing flags when there is "zero" evidence sounds no different to me than previous seasons.

Edited by iknowcool

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

What are the new rules?

And randomly throwing flags when there is "zero" evidence sounds no different to me than previous seasons.

i guess it’s not new rules but how they’re being enforced (challenge, with emphasis). The blindside block flags, for example, have been putrid.

Edit to add: you are correct. it’s been horrible for over a decade now.

Edited by pnies20

Rotoworld absolutely roasted the officiating last night: 

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/2679/matthew-stafford

The refs completely blew this game late for the Lions and gifted the Packers numerous extra plays and sets of downs in the fourth quarter by calling a pair of phantom illegal hands to the face penalties on Lions DE Trey Flowers, which directly led to a 35-yard Allen Lazard touchdown and the "game-winning" chip-shot field goal to Mason Crosby as time expired. On the final one, the Lions sacked Aaron Rodgers to force a fourth down and long field goal with just under two minutes on the clock and were going to get the ball back. Instead, the Packers kneeled it and kicked a field goal as time expired. Stafford, despite not throwing a touchdown, played well with several big hookups, including 121 yards on five completions to Kenny Golladay. Detroit's issue was settling for too many field goals. The Lions are this hack job by the refs and a last-minute Patrick Mahomes touchdown drive away from being undefeated. The Lions host the Vikings in Week 7.

2 hours ago, Elky said:

Rotoworld absolutely roasted the officiating last night: 

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/2679/matthew-stafford

The refs completely blew this game late for the Lions and gifted the Packers numerous extra plays and sets of downs in the fourth quarter by calling a pair of phantom illegal hands to the face penalties on Lions DE Trey Flowers, which directly led to a 35-yard Allen Lazard touchdown and the "game-winning" chip-shot field goal to Mason Crosby as time expired. On the final one, the Lions sacked Aaron Rodgers to force a fourth down and long field goal with just under two minutes on the clock and were going to get the ball back. Instead, the Packers kneeled it and kicked a field goal as time expired. Stafford, despite not throwing a touchdown, played well with several big hookups, including 121 yards on five completions to Kenny Golladay. Detroit's issue was settling for too many field goals. The Lions are this hack job by the refs and a last-minute Patrick Mahomes touchdown drive away from being undefeated. The Lions host the Vikings in Week 7.

Packers fan here, just got done watching the game after work.  Only thing I have to say is, ty REFS for the early christmas present :) 

20 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

Still can’t get over this PI on Hilton 😅

I can kinda sorta see it. He makes the exaggerated motion to cut off the DB. If he doesn't make that motion, they probably don't have to switch targets, but man that's soft. 

I guess we've all hated pick plays for so long that I have a hard time getting too upset about the crack down on them. 

Personally, i don't believe the officials are any worse than they were previously.  However, the NFL as a whole needs to stop pushing the agenda that more things should be penalized.  In other words, the on field officials are being pushed to call more penalties, which is worse for the game.

This is all you need to know:

Stop calling penalties.  When in doubt, don't throw the flag.

• Like 2