Things to fix on the bye: REALISTIC

MWil23

Obviously, a lot needs addressed/fixed, and the bye week isn't a miracle working week. That said, what REALISTIC things need addressed/fixed on our BYE week if we want to be considered a decent/quality team going forward the rest of this year and into 2020?

BAKER MAYFIELD:

*Baker's footwork is atrocious. He needs to stand tall and throw on platform more and navigate within the pocket

*Plays/Formations/Tempo needs SIMPLIFIED. Going no huddle is clearly the way to go going forward, limiting Baker to 1/2 of the field, simplifying things to a maximum of 2 progressions with a checkdown, etc. The timing, full field progressions, etc. need to be addressed in the off-season

*Turnovers are egregious. 5 TD and 11 INT are DeShone Kizeresque and his completion percentage is awful.

DEFENSE:

*GET HEALTHY: We need Ward and Greedy back ASAP. Our depth is a concern.

*Fix the interior of the DL/LB in the running game. This may not be realistic until next year via the draft/free agency.

OL:

*Fix the holding penalties. Our OL is terrible, so asking them to be successful in pass protection on 5-7 step drops isn't possible this year, but fixing some of these technique and false start issues IS fixable.

• Like 2

One question to consider is whether Dorsey pulls the trigger on a trade or two.  Trent Williams name has come up as well as some others from teams that are tanking.  If Dorsey thinks Browns can make playoffs, then I can see a trade or two. 

Special team play has been solid except for one blocked punt and missed PAT.  Yes there has been some penalties!

Offense just is not consistent for various reasons and it all starts with Baker.  I just do not understand plays that take a long time to develop when we have a porous O line and inability of RB and TE to chip block.  Baker's eyes are always on primary receiver and he does not go through progression very well (I understand he is running for his life).  Play calling has been average at best.  What about all our offensive coaches?  Kitchens is way over his head as Peter Principle applies as he was solid O coordinator.

Defense is a mixed bag.  Secondary depth is pleasant surprise at CB but S play lately has been weak.  LB has been pretty solid with Schobert and Wilson.  D line has been very disappointing as I thought this would be strength.  We have 4 top picks playing average on D line and teams can run whenever.  

At this point, just getting healthy will accomplish some issues but major flaws like O and D line is something else to consider.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Bench Baker if he’s shooting commercials during the bye week.

These clowns spent most of their offseason building their brands and it’s showing.

If there’s a silver lining to Baker ****ting the bed this season it’s that he won’t be doing commercials next offseason.

• Like 3

STOP TURNING THE F'N BALL OVER!!!!

That was such a depressing game to watch and I'm not even a Browns fan lol. 

Seriously though, if the Browns play more of a conservative style offensively with Baker not turning the ball over and relying on the run, this team will turn it around. Then eventually you can expand the offense and start getting more aggressive as the season goes on. But right now there is too much on Baker's shoulders and he's not good enough at the moment to deliver. Makes too many inaccurate passes or just flat out terrible decisions. 

The OL held up well vs Seattle's front and the offense was moving the ball at will, and then boom! Right on que, a freaking RZ turnover just before halftime. And now the Ravens have a two game lead in the division while the Browns play the Patriots right after the bye week. Now, the Ravens schedule in the 2nd half of the season will be much tougher so no reason to panic just yet, but need to turn it around ASAP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Bench Baker if he’s shooting commercials during the bye week.

These clowns spent most of their offseason building their brands and it’s showing.

It amazes me that they thought they'd just put it all together at Training Camp and be some super team without time on task.

I get that OBJ was in France and Baker was getting married and shooting commercials, and I definitely believe players should enjoy their off-season, but to be Next Level like the Great QB WR tandems you have to put in Next Level work and Sacrifice.

Michael Thomas and Drew Brees rented a house and left their significant others and loved one's for 1 and half weeks in the off-season just to do a film and route chemistry boot camp. This is after they already are "on the same page" with years of time on task and reps. Alvin Kamara came by for 4 days as did other receivers.

Peyton Manning use to do similar stuff with with Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, and his receivers for more than 2 weeks.

Deshaun Watson, Nuk Hopkins, and Fuller lived at the facility this offseason and took trips together to ATL on the weekend to visit each others families and decompress then flew back to the facility to grind film and work on chemistry again when the work week started.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Baker, OBJ, Jarvis and co. have to have it in their mind that in order to beat the elite you have to outwork or at least match the time put in by the elite... and I'm not talking about a throwing session or two where camera crews are flown out to film everything.

• Like 3

Who is the 1 guy on the team you can say week in and week out will be the most focused and disciplined?

It’s Nick Chubb. I’d probably include Myles Garrett too.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence they’re having fantastic seasons either.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

It amazes me that they thought they'd just put it all together at Training Camp and be some super team without time on task.

I get that OBJ was in France and Baker was getting married and shooting commercials, and I definitely believe players should enjoy their off-season, but to be Next Level like the Great QB WR tandems you have to put in Next Level work and Sacrifice.

Michael Thomas and Drew Brees rented a house and left their significant others and loved one's for 1 and half weeks in the off-season just to do a film and route chemistry boot camp. This is after they already are "on the same page" with years of time on task and reps. Alvin Kamara came by for 4 days as did other receivers.

Peyton Manning use to do similar stuff with with Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, and his receivers for more than 2 weeks.

Deshaun Watson, Nuk Hopkins, and Fuller lived at the facility this offseason and took trips together to ATL on the weekend to visit each others families and decompress then flew back to the facility to grind film and work on chemistry again when the work week started.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Baker, OBJ, Jarvis and co. have to have it in their mind that in order to beat the elite you have to outwork or at least match the time put in by the elite... and I'm not talking about a throwing session or two where camera crews are flown out to film everything.

Maturity comes with time

Sometimes teams just take a while to jell

• Like 1

O line blocking technique and scheming to help weaker players

Running game gap integrity

Anyone who might even touch a football needs to spend 1,000 hours on the Juggs machine practicing catching hard and semi-off target throws. No excuse for all these balls bouncing off hands that become INTs