Report: Schwartz Trying to "Usurp" Pederson's Job

Phire

Disclaimer: I'm not saying this is true, just sharing a weird story that's floating out there.

The Inquirer’s Jeff McLane put out an interesting story early on Saturday morning that had some interesting information about Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz. According to McLane, there’s a sense in Philadelphia’s organization that Schwartz is aiming for Pederson’s head coaching job.

One Eagles staffer said the only coach who probably doesn’t think Schwartz is trying to undercut Pederson is Pederson. Three players, who requested anonymity, said that it’s become well-known in the locker room that Schwartz is waiting to usurp power.

“He walks around the building like he thinks he’s the head coach,” one player said.

I do think it’s worth noting how Pederson didn’t really hire Schwartz. As McLane notes: “Roseman, though, led the way on hiring many of the coaches – in particular, Schwartz.”When Pederson was hired, he admitted he didn’t really know Schwartz personally before the defensive coordinator was hired by the Eagles. The fact that Pederson didn’t really hire his own staff makes you wonder exactly how much power he really has.

In the wake of comments from former NFL general manager Mike Lombardi, who said on The Ringer that Eagles head coach Doug Pederson "might be less qualified to coach a team than anyone I've ever seen in my 30-plus years in the NFL," Jeff McLane of The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Saturday that Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz just may be "trying to undercut" or "usurp power" from Pederson.

McLane cites an unnamed Eagles employee and three anonymous Eagles players in the report, also speculating that Lombardi's friendship with Schwartz may have led to the former's public criticism of Pederson.

Then there's the timing and source of the report itself. "The optics aren't favorable" doesn't make for the firmest of foundations for a report of this gravity, especially since McLane, who was ejected from an Eagles press box in January, just two weeks earlier penned a story about some players still learning to deal with Schwartz's "abrasive" attitude. Now, less than 48 hours before Opening Day kickoff and two days after Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie himself both endorsed Pederson and called Lombardi's criticisms "click-bait," there's a sudden surge of office politics?

Sounds like McLane may just be salty.

McLane is good actually. He's one of the few I can read and listen to. I don't think he has a dog in the fight for this one. He's just reporting what he is observing and he proved it with the unnamed players.  It's certainly interesting and can prove to be detrimental to the team. We saw how Washburn imploded the coaching staff that one year with Castillo. 

I think Schwartz would be a better HC than Pederson personally. But he should stay far away from the offense. I would be a little worried to have a guy so petty head coaching though. If he wants to be a HC he should go to college or something until he gets an NFL opportunity. Not be salty behind closed doors and making things awkward. 

57 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

McLane is good actually. He's one of the few I can read and listen to. I don't think he has a dog in the fight for this one. He's just reporting what he is observing and he proved it with the unnamed players.  It's certainly interesting and can prove to be detrimental to the team. We saw how Washburn imploded the coaching staff that one year with Castillo. 

I think Schwartz would be a better HC than Pederson personally. But he should stay far away from the offense. I would be a little worried to have a guy so petty head coaching though. If he wants to be a HC he should go to college or something until he gets an NFL opportunity. Not be salty behind closed doors and making things awkward. 

Washburn, Chip... we're definitely familiar with a coach's personality getting in the team's way.

Archived