Week 7: VIKINGS (4-2) at Lions (2-2-1)

swede700

On 10/16/2019 at 5:12 PM, upriser7 said:

It will be an interesting matchup because I've seen Lions doing 3 man pass rush lot more frequently than most of the teams in the league. Their strategy seems to have the secondary coverage tighter. If they r gonna use the same pass rush strategy on Sunday, then I expect our OL to handle their pass rush pretty decently . If our WR duo can manage to get open (which I trust they can), I fancy our chances against their secondary. Should be a good test for our defense too on road.

Yeah that's what they do.  A week ago or so I saw a stat on twitter that the Lions were rushing just 3 on like 33% of opponent drop backs.  That % was DOUBLE the 2nd place team in the league.  Has anyone else ever had a defensive strategy like that?  Seems very unorthodox.  They also blitz the least out of any team in the league, like 11% (?) of the time IIRC.  It's almost like they've decided that by design, coverage is more important than trying to get pressure.  Been doing it since game 1.

Edited by fortdetroit

Vikings at Lions Injury Report:

Vikings LB Ben Gedeon (concussion) is out this weekend and LB Kentrell Brothers (hamstring) is listed as questionable.

The Lions will be without DT Mike Daniels (foot) and CB Amani Oruwariye (knee). RB Nick Bawden (back), S Quandre Diggs (hamstring), DE Da'shawn Hand (elbow), CB Darius Slay (hamstring), and T Rick Wagner (knee) are listed as questionable.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/18/week-seven-injury-report-roundup-8/

26 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Vikings LB Ben Gedeon (concussion) is out this weekend and LB Kentrell Brothers (hamstring) is listed as questionable.

The Lions will be without DT Mike Daniels (foot) and CB Amani Oruwariye (knee). RB Nick Bawden (back), S Quandre Diggs (hamstring), DE Da'shawn Hand (elbow), CB Darius Slay (hamstring), and T Rick Wagner (knee) are listed as questionable.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/18/week-seven-injury-report-roundup-8/

Glad to see Erik Wilson getting more playing time.

I like him a lot more than JAG Gedeon

• Like 3

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

At first I would say that cook and thielen need to be the feature of this game. Darius slay is one of the best corners in the league and will spend most of his time on Diggs like normal. But if he has a knee injury that makes him questionable, we might want to attack him as well. If we go slays way, I think underneath routes such as slants and quick hitches should cause him to shift his legs multiple times, we should go that route. 

Primarly, thielen and cook should be the focus though. 

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Why doesn't Wilson just start anyways?

Wilson’s been a liability against the run, though he’s done better on that front this year. He’s good in coverage and has been excellent as a blitzer so he makes a lot of splash plays.

Gedeon is a pretty good LB who’s sound in his gap and a good tackler. He has a bad reputation among fans because of the game in 2016 when the Colts picked on the Vikings LBs in pass coverage but he’s actually a decent player. 

Zimmer likes some role players in his defense. They tend to play light fronts on early downs, which allows him to be more creative with more coverage schemes on the back end, so he needs players in the box who can limit the run game. Gedeon is maybe comparable to Shamar Stephen, who doesn’t make many plays himself but doesn’t make mistakes either, and whose presence opens up opportunities for splash plays from other players. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

No reason to feed trolls on FF. We are clearly the better team and should win w/o issue. Yeah, like most of us, I give respect to the 2019 Lions, but seriously, we show up with a purpose, we win convincingly. 

Showing up with a purpose will still be a tough win. I dunno if you been watching them, but they are very dangerous. Due to mostly injuries to slay and the others it makes it easier to win, but the Lions are no joke. If those guys still play they can beat us lol. I got us winning by a FG