Rank these disappointing QBs

Danger

The Trubisky thing isn’t fair

The kid had a 95 passer rating, 3000 yards, 25 TDs his first full season as a starter.  Yeah he’s struggling this year through the first half of the season but he did more last year than anyone on this list has outside of Goff. 

He is viewed as a massive disappointment purely because of who was drafted behind him (not his fault).  Had he come out another year he’d be looked at similar to how a Derek Carr was viewed a couple years ago... guy who had a really good year, is struggling a bit, but we know he has potential. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mission27 said:

The kid had a 95 passer rating, 3000 yards, 25 TDs his first full season as a starter.  Yeah he’s struggling this year through the first half of the season but he did more last year than anyone on this list has outside of Goff. 

He is viewed as a massive disappointment purely because of who was drafted behind him (not his fault).  Had he come out another year he’d be looked at similar to how a Derek Carr was viewed a couple years ago... guy who had a really good year, is struggling a bit, but we know he has potential. 

Trubisky's stats were hugely inflated due to the Tampa Bay game in which 5 of his 6 TDs were literally so wide open I could have made the pass to them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

Trubisky looked really bad against the Saints.  It wasn't the stats so much, as just him missing wide open guys, making horrible reads, taking terrible sacks.

I know every QB has bad games, but that performance would completely discourage me if I were a Bears fan.  But I admit I don't watch every Bears game, so maybe he's not as bad as it looked.

9 hours ago, mission27 said:

There's a reason everyone who actually watched him play was saying this offseason that despite his solid stats last season, he wasn't actually any good.

Edited by fortdetroit

14 hours ago, mission27 said:

Don't let the stat line fool you. He had some nice games along the way but was bad last year too

Mariota - He's gotten plenty enough chances.  Maybe a change of scenery will do him some good.  However, in the last 2 1/2 years, I've seen nothing from this guy that tells me he can be a viable NFL starter. 

Winston - He's actually quite talented, but his Achilles heel is the knucklehead, rookie mistakes.  After 4 1/2 years, he still looks raw; There's been no clear improvement in his game to speak of, despite having been in a pretty good situation.  How many more coaches are going to have to get fired?  The o-line has been revamped at least twice since he was drafted.  There's no one else to point to... I don't see him in Tampa beyond this season.  I think he'll get another shot somewhere else, but he'll have to work for it; however, unlike Mariota, Winston makes too many mistakes to even be a game manager type...

I think the rest of these guys are too young to be on a 'disappointment' list...

Mayfield - despite looking like crap so far this year, I think what he did last season has earned him the benefit of the doubt.  He only has 19 starts under his belt, and if you average out his stats, they still look good for a young QB.  My advice would be to cut out the commercials for a while, and get his head back in the game, but for the most part, I'm not too concerned at the moment.

Allen - I find it amazing that the same folks who are enthralled with Lamar Jackson, seem to hate Josh Allen.  They are literally the same type of player.  Allen very quietly rushed for 650 yards and 8 TDs last season.  I'll say he definitely has to cut out the turnovers, but minus the New England game, he has shown clear improvement as a passer. Not even close to hitting the panic button on Allen.

Trubisky - I get it, as someone said in another post, when you watch him, he doesn't pass the eye test; fair enough, but you can't argue with the success he's had: He's 14-5 in his last 19 starts.  In that time he's thrown 4000 YDs, 29 TDs, 14 INTs, with a 65% completion rate.  He's also a pretty decent runner (675 yards, 5 TDs in his first two seasons), which seems to have been cut out of his game this year (5 rush att. in 5 games), for whatever reason.  I think he unfairly gets compared to Mahomes and Watson, but all in all he hasn't been terrible, and besides, everybody knew going in, he was a raw, gimmicky QB, that was going to take time to develop, but now everybody wants to cry because he's not all pro.. 

I have no idea why Jared Goff is on this list...

Goff - Clearly the best of this bunch.  If you're disappointed with Goff, you should probably stop watching football.  He's struggled a bit this season, but in the last two years he's been to 2 pro bowls, and a super bowl.  During that time he's thrown 8500 YDs 60 TDs to 19 INTs.  Since 2017 he's 28-10.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, frenchie said:

Mariota - He's gotten plenty enough chances.  Maybe a change of scenery will do him some good.  However, in the last 2 1/2 years, I've seen nothing from this guy that tells me he can be a viable NFL starter. 

Winston - He's actually quite talented, but his Achilles heel is the knucklehead, rookie mistakes.  After 4 1/2 years, he still looks raw; There's been no clear improvement in his game to speak of, despite having been in a pretty good situation.  How many more coaches are going to have to get fired?  The o-line has been revamped at least twice since he was drafted.  There's no one else to point to... I don't see him in Tampa beyond this season.  I think he'll get another shot somewhere else, but he'll have to work for it; however, unlike Mariota, Winston makes too many mistakes to even be a game manager type...

I think the rest of these guys are too young to be on a 'disappointment' list...

Mayfield - despite looking like crap so far this year, I think what he did last season has earned him the benefit of the doubt.  He only has 19 starts under his belt, and if you average out his stats, they still look good for a young QB.  My advice would be to cut out the commercials for a while, and get his head back in the game, but for the most part, I'm not too concerned at the moment.

Allen - I find it amazing that the same folks who are enthralled with Lamar Jackson, seem to hate Josh Allen.  They are literally the same type of player.  Allen very quietly rushed for 650 yards and 8 TDs last season.  I'll say he definitely has to cut out the turnovers, but minus the New England game, he has shown clear improvement as a passer. Not even close to hitting the panic button on Allen.

Trubisky - I get it, as someone said in another post, when you watch him, he doesn't pass the eye test; fair enough, but you can't argue with the success he's had: He's 14-5 in his last 19 starts.  In that time he's thrown 4000 YDs, 29 TDs, 14 INTs, with a 65% completion rate.  He's also a pretty decent runner (675 yards, 5 TDs in his first two seasons), which seems to have been cut out of his game this year (5 rush att. in 5 games), for whatever reason.  I think he unfairly gets compared to Mahomes and Watson, but all in all he hasn't been terrible, and besides, everybody knew going in, he was a raw, gimmicky QB, that was going to take time to develop, but now everybody wants to cry because he's not all pro.. 

I have no idea why Jared Goff is on this list...

Goff - Clearly the best of this bunch.  If you're disappointed with Goff, you should probably stop watching football.  He's struggled a bit this season, but in the last two years he's been to 2 pro bowls, and a super bowl.  During that time he's thrown 8500 YDs 60 TDs to 19 INTs.  Since 2017 he's 28-10.

This. I feel like people are dying on the Josh Allen take just because they bought into all the hate pre-draft and don't want to eat crow. 

He's been the 2nd best QB from that draft class this year and has made huge strides in his accuracy and passing from year 1 to year 2. He was also the most raw, and project QB, yet he's 5-1 and playing good football besides that Pats game. Give him another year or 2 before you can judge imo. 

Edited by The BILLievers
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 10:35 PM, Danger said:

Trubisky's stats were hugely inflated due to the Tampa Bay game in which 5 of his 6 TDs were literally so wide open I could have made the pass to them.

Tampa had a historically bad pass defense that everybody embrassed that year 

On 10/22/2019 at 9:26 PM, mission27 said:

This was a similar argument used to justify keeping Blake Bortles around in Jacksonville last season - hey, he threw 35 TDs once. Look, he just managed the Jags to the AFCCG. 

Mitch Trubisky is viewed as a massive disappointment because he's not able to throw a football effectively. His accuracy is spotty at all levels, he has difficult times completing basic routes against basic single coverage - throws that a top half QB should be able to make routinely, he's missing. 

His career arc at this point is very similar to Bortles - something would have to drastically change before that narrative isn't repeated. If Trubisky hires a private QB coach to iron out some of those things he never got a chance to refine - someone who works with him year round, not just someone who works with them in the off-season - he could really evolve his game.

If not, he's destined to become a backup somewhere else.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

This was a similar argument used to justify keeping Blake Bortles around in Jacksonville last season - hey, he threw 35 TDs once. Look, he just managed the Jags to the AFCCG. 

Mitch Trubisky is viewed as a massive disappointment because he's not able to throw a football effectively. His accuracy is spotty at all levels, he has difficult times completing basic routes against basic single coverage - throws that a top half QB should be able to make routinely, he's missing. 

His career arc at this point is very similar to Bortles - something would have to drastically change before that narrative isn't repeated. If Trubisky hires a private QB coach to iron out some of those things he never got a chance to refine - someone who works with him year round, not just someone who works with them in the off-season - he could really evolve his game.

If not, he's destined to become a backup somewhere else.

Says the Blake Bortles of FF

On 10/14/2019 at 2:21 PM, The BILLievers said:

Can't speak for all Bills fans but im not disappointed in Allen really at all. In fact I'm more happy from the growth I've seen from him from the draft to now. 

He's truly only played 1 NFL season and will need to cut down on the knuckle head plays but the Bills offense currently ranks : 

• 5th in AFC in total YPG (11th in NFL)
  • 5th in AFC in 1st downs per game (9th in NFL)
  • 3rd in AFC in time of possession (6th in NFL)

He leads the NFL in 4th Q wins (3) so he's got the clutch gene. Top 10 in most TD drives over 60 yards. 

Our PPG would be alot higher if not for some dumb fumbles or balls he should've thrown away. 

2018 Completion % = 52.8%

2019 Completion % = 62.6%

He should only improve the more and more starts he has, as he was seen as the biggest "project" when drafted. 

I've also been impressed with Josh Allen thus far.  I think a lot of people hated on him before the draft and are now reaching for anything they can to validate that opinion.  

As you said, other than for the Patriots game he's played well.  To me he's closer to becoming an elite QB than he is to being a dissapointment.

I wouldn't be surprised if Josh Allen leads the Bills to the Super Bowl this season.

On 10/17/2019 at 1:11 PM, NYJets4716 said:

You were impressed with him vs the JEts? THe guy should have thrown 4 INTs and fumbled twice. He was holding them back. Allen is a mediocre QB, he makes stupid throws and is being carried by a really good overall team. Maybe years of having trash QBs makes you think that 5 TD 7 INTs is actually good? But the Bills probably end up looking for a new QB in a few years after realizing they wasted their opportunity with a good team being held down by a bad QB. 

The Bills defense is pretty nasty, their OL has looked great, and they have been running the ball really well. Right now the one weakness with the Bills is their QB, who IMO isn't good. 

Looks like you're a Darnold fan that's hoping your team didn't pick the wrong QB.

Josh Allen is 5-1.  And its 7 TDs to 7 INTs now.

How bout you tell me how Darnold's stats are looking right now?

43 minutes ago, VanS said:

I've also been impressed with Josh Allen thus far.  I think a lot of people hated on him before the draft and are now reaching for anything they can to validate that opinion.  

As you said, other than for the Patriots game he's played well.  To me he's closer to becoming an elite QB than he is to being a dissapointment.

I wouldn't be surprised if Josh Allen leads the Bills to the Super Bowl this season.

😳😳😳

9 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

😳😳😳

Why would that be shocking?  They have the second best record in the AFC right now and we're almost halfway thru the season.  Their defense is dominant and they have a relatively easy schedule the rest of the way.  

I think the Patriots will get upset this year in the playoffs.  I got the Bills or Ravens making it out of the AFC.