Arthur Smith

titans0021

In another thread many people, myself included, mentioned Greg Roman as a top HC candidate.

One of the things I disliked about Smith was his personnel usage. The Ravens are 32nd in the NFL in receptions by a WR and are 9% below us in 11 personnel usage.

I know the thought behind him is that he adjusts to his personnel and Smith is doing the opposite and that's why he is appealing, however, I just wanted to point out what the Ravens are doing with their personnel.

Although, in the last 2 games the Titans have used 11 personnel 75% of the time (well above league average) and 13 personnel is down to 3%. I wonder if this trend will continue. We were closer to league average against KC, even without Davis, but way up to 82% against Carolina. 

Edited by TitanSS
  • Like 1

I wish I could look into an alternate reality where Mariota was coached by Andy Reid and Corey/AJ were with a team like Pittsburg or Houston where they actually develop WR talent. I remember we had a WR coach who made the players catch bricks because “if u can catch a brick, you can catch a ball” lmao. 

I just need to know if it’s “us” as an organization or if the players just aren’t that good. I can’t help but think it’s the former 

3 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I wish I could look into an alternate reality where Mariota was coached by Andy Reid and Corey/AJ were with a team like Pittsburg or Houston where they actually develop WR talent. I remember we had a WR coach who made the players catch bricks because “if u can catch a brick, you can catch a ball” lmao. 

I just need to know if it’s “us” as an organization or if the players just aren’t that good. I can’t help but think it’s the former 

I think about this a lot, too. We saw some really, really special stuff from Mariota here, it's hard for me to believe is isn't just us ruining QB's. To be fair, though, I pretty much only feel that way about Mariota. Vince and Locker were just garbage all around.

50 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Like the Vrabel thread, let's give credit where credit is due

great gameplan and playcalling by Art Smith. Only big mistake I recall was the wildcat

Like Vrabel said...the Raymond TD was his best playcall of the year

I was just coming in here to give Art his props. It feels like he's really starting to hit his stride as a playcaller especially these last few weeks. The offense is flowing, and we're feeding Derrick. If we can keep this up to finish out the season we might be on to something.

• Like 1

He’s improving but I’m not impressed due to the congested formations he constantly keep calling & he doesn’t know how to scheme players open a lot nor do he seems to go in with a game plan, let’s get AJ, Corey, or Jonu going. The only thing I see different is the they finally realized to turn the offense over to Henry & feed him 🤷🏽‍♂️

I still am not a fan of his groupings. But I'm thinking he does that too so he isn't obvious with his play calls. 

Didn't like the wildcat. 

Loved the Raymond TD call. 

Love him sticking to the run. 

He has improved and found a groove. He has shown he is worth building with, but I would love for a more seasoned playcaller to come on staff just to be a voice in the ear. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I’ve stopped posting in this thread because Arthur has been much better. Still not great, but I will no longer be upset if he returns.

He’s gotten a much better feel for playcalling, but still sucks at creating mis-matches and is obsessed with tight formations 

I won’t be upset either, but still think he’d benefit from having a guy like Jay Gruden on the staff like others have said. 

• Like 1