Arthur Smith

titans0021

None of us will have a clue until the all-22 tape is out, but I’m a bit frustrated that Art basically removed AJ from the gameplan because he had Lattimore on him. Lattimore is a great corner, but that means you don’t ever call AJ’s number just because he has a good corner on him. He’s going to have a lot of good corners on him in his career, you still need to look to get him the damn ball

again, Lattimore May have indeed just dominated the match-up, and maybe the all-22 will show that, but I’m more likely to believe that Smith just looked elsewhere for targets 

2 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

None of us will have a clue until the all-22 tape is out, but I’m a bit frustrated that Art basically removed AJ from the gameplan because he had Lattimore on him. Lattimore is a great corner, but that means you don’t ever call AJ’s number just because he has a good corner on him. He’s going to have a lot of good corners on him in his career, you still need to look to get him the damn ball

again, Lattimore May have indeed just dominated the match-up, and maybe the all-22 will show that, but I’m more likely to believe that Smith just looked elsewhere for targets 

I extremely doubt he was removed from the game-plan. We call a lot of the same passing concepts each week, the progressions don't change based on the opponent.

Honestly, I think a lot of Tannehill's holding on to the ball too long was him staring down AJ Brown waiting for him to uncover instead of moving on to the next read. 

Tannehill was force feeding AJ Brown last week so there's a chance AJ Brown saw his first game where the other team decided to bracket him to take him out of the game and force Tannehill to go through his progressions rather than just feed one guy 13 targets.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I extremely doubt he was removed from the game-plan. We call a lot of the same passing concepts each week, the progressions don't change based on the opponent.

Honestly, I think a lot of Tannehill's holding on to the ball too long was him staring down AJ Brown waiting for him to uncover instead of moving on to the next read. 

Tannehill was force feeding AJ Brown last week so there's a chance AJ Brown saw his first game where the other team decided to bracket him to take him out of the game and force Tannehill to go through his progressions rather than just feed one guy 13 targets.

Who knows, but this offensive staff hasn’t earned the benefit of the doubt yet. We didn’t take a single shot down the field today, reminiscent of week 2 against Indy when the excuse was “oh they play cover 2 so it’s hard to get a big play”. 

wont know until all-22 and mike miracles breaks it down 

21 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Yes typically when a QB holds onto the ball too long he’s not going through his progression reading the entire field. Tannehill was waiting on his primary target to get open. He really reads half the field 

26 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Who knows, but this offensive staff hasn’t earned the benefit of the doubt yet. We didn’t take a single shot down the field today, reminiscent of week 2 against Indy when the excuse was “oh they play cover 2 so it’s hard to get a big play”. 

wont know until all-22 and mike miracles breaks it down 

I guess I just don't consider it giving them the benefit of the doubt as much as I don't think any NFL team would ever intentionally game plan to take their best offensive player out of the game because he's going up against a good CB. That's a concept that I don't think I would ever come up with. If anything I think you're giving AJ Brown the benefit of the doubt that if he was in the game-plan he would have more receptions.

We didn't take a single shot down the field (minus the nearly 40 yard completion to Brown), but we also had a lot of plays where Ryan Tannehill was sacked while staring downfield wanting to take a deep shot. It just wasn't there.

2 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I guess I just don't consider it giving them the benefit of the doubt as much as I don't think any NFL team would ever intentionally game plan to take their best offensive player out of the game because he's going up against a good CB. That's a concept that I don't think I would ever come up with. If anything I think you're giving AJ Brown the benefit of the doubt that if he was in the game-plan he would have more receptions.

We didn't take a single shot down the field (minus the nearly 40 yard completion to Brown), but we also had a lot of plays where Ryan Tannehill was sacked while staring downfield wanting to take a deep shot. It just wasn't there.

If AJ was more part of the gameplan, he’d have more targets. We targeted him two times all game, I believe. Same number as Pruitt. But like I said, maybe Lattimore truly had him blanketed and he as the #1 read of a particular play just wasn’t there

we have absolutely no clue about whether or not we had any real deep shots dialed up until the all-22 comes out. Tanny holding onto the ball long doesn’t necessarily mean that he was waiting for a deep route  to be run. Our deep shots are also predicated on PA, which we didn’t have a great benefit of because Henry was out and NO didn’t have to respect the run. 

we are also talking about the same player who, up until like three weeks ago, was targeted something like 8 times total in 3 or 4 games. Not like he’s been a consistent part of this offense until this past month, which is a whole separate conversation 

again, it’s just an observation. But the fact of the matter is, AJ was hardly involved today and I’m curious as to why 

Just now, deeluxx3 said:

If AJ was more part of the gameplan, he’d have more targets. We targeted him two times all game, I believe. Same number as Pruitt. But like I said, maybe Lattimore truly had him blanketed and he as the #1 read of a particular play just wasn’t there

we have absolutely no clue about whether or not we had any real deep shots dialed up until the all-22 comes out. Tanny holding onto the ball long doesn’t necessarily mean that he was waiting for a deep route  to be run. Our deep shots are also predicated on PA, which we didn’t have a great benefit of because Henry was out and NO didn’t have to respect the run. 

we are also talking about the same player who, up until like three weeks ago, was targeted something like 8 times total in 3 or 4 games. Not like he’s been a consistent part of this offense until this past month, which is a whole separate conversation 

again, it’s just an observation. But the fact of the matter is, AJ was hardly involved today and I’m curious as to why 

I don't think he'd necessarily have more targets unless he was open. That's fine. I just didn't jump to the same conclusion from his lack of involvement.

i'll eat crow on smith. there are still personnel quibbles i have but you can't reasonably be upset with a guy who produced a top 5 offense once tannehill took the reins. one thing i feel is that despite clearly having "exotic smashmouth" mularkey roots, he does a muuuuch better job at coherently marrying the pass game with the run. it's not telegraphed like it used to be and you can see the effect in our play action success.