Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Classic

Should the Chargers ReBrand themselves in L.A?

Should the Chargers Rebrand in L.A?  

3 members have voted

  1. 1. Should the Chargers Rebrand in L.A?



Recommended Posts

If last night's game wasn't a sign Chargers aren't viable in Los Angeles I don't know what is. As the title says, Should the Chargers rebrand in L.A?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Los Angeles isn’t even in the top ten for viewing markets for one of their own teams. Rams are selling seats but also are dealing with a lot of traveling fans. I don’t believe a rebrand does much more then drive the stake in the heart of the few Charger fans left. I think I’m left with best case scenario:

 

1. The NFL contracts the Chargers. Spanos family loses all their money.

 

2. Spanos Family is forced to sell the team. New ownership isn’t bags of monkey poo. 
 

3. Chargers move to London and become the first international team. 
 

It is my revised position that Los Angeles can financial support two football teams. It can emotionally support one football team and the Rams are leading that race with the Chargers limping behind like a one legged zombie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rebranding won't do any good.  Dean and co approached marketing in the market completely wrong and, in the most concise description, extremely conceited.

They expected, because they were the closest (location-wise) team in the area that if they moved north people would just latch on.  They also assumed that LA was all about bling bling and, effectively, the fans could be bought - which actually did a lot to turn people off as opposed to attract them.  Look at LAFC.  They came into a very similar situation, except arguably worst starting position: Coming into a market with an already established (and recently championship-winning) franchise.  But they went the very definition of grass-roots marketing; I couldn't go out to a decent-sized community event or a large sports-related viewing party in LA or much of the surrounding area (Long Beach, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Santa Monica, etc.) without there being LAFC promotional folks there trying to drum up support and interest in the team - a team that had a whopping 2 players on its roster at the time (one of which was still loaned out to a Mexican club).  I saw Chargers promo teams at the Orange County Fair (on all of two days, where they brought out guys of such stature that they barely, of the ones that did, made the practice squad that season) and that was it.  Mind you, I live up the hill from Angels Stadium and go to easily 10 games per season - there was no Chargers presence ANYWHERE around there, or at Galaxy games (and those were at the very stadium they were going to be playing in!).

Then you throw in that Spanos wasn't liquid enough, truly, to afford the relocation fee that the league charged him.  And, as such, he needed to leech as much ticket money from advanced ticket sales as possible to afford the payments on that fee.  Hence you got higher ticket prices in general and no discretion whatsoever on selling season tickets en mass to resale companies (sound like a familiar issue that helped contribute to less-than-desirable attendance at the Q?) who don't care what team the person buying the ticket from them (at a mark-up if they can get it) is a fan of.  Those same big resale agencies which often just turn around and list on StubHub and SeatGeek because they know that's where folks planning a hit-and-go from out of town are going to go first to look for tickets, and the supporters and fan groups (I know because the Rams have 5 such groups that I've become familiar with - each are usually the different tailgate groups, and they do this too) know they can contact SH and SG and often get rates on tickets in the same section, then offer a package deal to their members (same flight, same hotel, tickets in the same section, etc.).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the Chargers. I remember LA football in the '90s when they had both the Rams and Raiders. It was pretty much identical to what it is now. The stands are half empty unless there is lots of support from the opponent. It's a joke. How the NFL allowed this to happen again makes me pretty angry. There is so much wrong with this league right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I really like the Chargers. I remember LA football in the '90s when they had both the Rams and Raiders. It was pretty much identical to what it is now. The stands are half empty unless there is lots of support from the opponent. It's a joke. How the NFL allowed this to happen again makes me pretty angry. There is so much wrong with this league right now. 

The 90's is a bad example though.  You had Georgia sabotaging (there's really no other way of putting it when you consider the state of things when she inherited the team following Carroll's death) the Rams, not so arguably to drive down fan support so she could relocate the team to her hometown.  And you had Al Davis making demands that anyone with a semi-competent lawyer advising them would have known were next-to-impossible to be met (he wasn't bucking for a new stadium, he was pushing for the Coliseum - which is owned by the State, not the city or county - to be outfitted with luxury boxes and the like)... and the Raiders were still meeting the league median for attendance in gross numbers, they were just doing so in a 90k+ stadium, which was far from the industry standard it is now back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The LBC said:

The 90's is a bad example though.  You had Georgia sabotaging (there's really no other way of putting it when you consider the state of things when she inherited the team following Carroll's death) the Rams, not so arguably to drive down fan support so she could relocate the team to her hometown.  And you had Al Davis making demands that anyone with a semi-competent lawyer advising them would have known were next-to-impossible to be met (he wasn't bucking for a new stadium, he was pushing for the Coliseum - which is owned by the State, not the city or county - to be outfitted with luxury boxes and the like)... and the Raiders were still meeting the league median for attendance in gross numbers, they were just doing so in a 90k+ stadium, which was far from the industry standard it is now back then.

Excuse me. She is to be referred to as The Witch. Her death does not change anything she has forever been branded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Excuse me. She is to be referred to as The Witch. Her death does not change anything she has forever been branded. 

Witch doesn't seem to do her justice.  Particularly in summing up how selfish and completely inept at business she was.

You have to remember that not long before he died Carroll Rosenbloom was deep in negotiations with Gene Autry (then-owner of the Angels) to build a joint (they were in the exploratory stages as to which was more feasible: joint-use or side-by-side/adjoined facilities) new-build stadium venture... which was the whole reason the Rams left the Coliseum for Anaheim in the first place.  The Black Widow utterly scrapped that venture and royally scuttled her relationship with Autry (IIRC it had something further to do with her completely disrespecting Cowboy's 2nd wife, Jackie, even though Jackie was the financial brains of the whole operation).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×