So... What's the Deal with Gurley?

RandyMossIsBoss

Rams continue to act like everything is fine, while outsiders seem to consider it as fact at this point that Gurley has degenerative knees and is a shell of his fomer self. What's the truth? His production obviously suggests something is wrong, but why would the Rams continue to lie about it? I understood in the postseason you wanted to pretend everything is fine so opponents had no gameplan, but at this point, opponents can see what's going on, so what would be the motive of acting like everything is fine? 

Furthermore, how is everybody so positive he has degenerative knees and will never be the same? The Rams OL is clearly gone to trash, and Gurley's first game back from the injury was an efficient 115 yards on the ground.

2018 averages before the Eagles game and average since (inc playoffs)

Pre-Injury: 131 yards on 19 carries and 4 catches

Post-Injury: 63 yards on 12 carries and 2 catches 

The receiving game is perhaps the starkest contrast, as the 8 games prior saw him catch 30 balls for 274 yards, whereas the 8 games since he has caught 18 passes for 73 yards.

This has nothing to do with him missing this week BTW, I know it was a bone bruise

"He's hurt, duh"... ok, but in that case do you have any idea what he's hurt with and what the prognosis is? Is Gurley really done as a dynamic, all-pro, future HOF RB?

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

Biggest thing you notice is his ability side to side with any burst is absolutely gone. He can still put his head down and hit the hole in a straight line, but I think gone are the days of him being a super dynamic runner.

He also had knee injury in college which is why he went later than he should of in the draft. Him having more knee problems is probably going to keep him as a shell of his former self for the foreseeable future.

Why they are not coming out with the specific details I don't know. Probably not to send everyone into a tailspin

• Like 2

He had a good playoff game smack dab in the middle of all his bad games and missed time last year. 

it might just be that every once and a while his knee feels fine, but you just don’t know what week that’s gonna be 

Edited by Dome

from what I have read, there have been injuries issues, and then there was the idea they were going to try and preserve his health this season. They might be staying the course for that, wait and see how much he plays later in the season.  

Could it also be that players today are a bit more aware than 25 years ago ? He might be looking out for his health a bit more than his contemporaries 

Until the line is better at run blocking I've not completely written him off. Thought he looked really good against Carolina. Though I almost have more confidence in Malcolm Brown at this point than Gurley. 

He doesn't look like the same player but the team as a whole has regressed massively. The easier answer for me to believe is we took the offensive line for granted as opposed to everyone sucks now. 

25 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

from what I have read, there have been injuries issues, and then there was the idea they were going to try and preserve his health this season. They might be staying the course for that, wait and see how much he plays later in the season.  

Could it also be that players today are a bit more aware than 25 years ago ? He might be looking out for his health a bit more than his contemporaries 

Preserve it for what? If this condition needs a year to heal, then just sit him. The idea that "save him for the postseason" is so silly since the playoffs are so damn far from guaranteed in the NFL. It's 16 games. Nearly every game matters. Using him the way they are is so silly if it's for preventative purposes. He hasn't been as good on a per touch basis as he used to be either, so it's not like you're even preserving anything special at this rate.

I know you're just saying what you've heard, I've heard it too, just doesn't add up to me. I am just frustrated why the Rams are being so secretive about this lol, I don't understand their motive anymore, and it's just hurting Gurley more than anyone. He's going to be asked about his knee every damn day until they come out with the truth.

They pay him a lot of money, he probably has little to no say in how many touches he gets unless they think the condition can improve (in which, why play him at all? Let it improve). By all accounts he seems pretty frustrated too with lack of touches though.

Rams were very foolish to play him on 99% of the snaps on a Thursday game against Seattle. That was really really dumb on their part. Surprise! hes out the following week.

They have been reluctant to rotate their running backs, which I really don't understand. 

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Biggest thing you notice is his ability side to side with any burst is absolutely gone.

THIS. This is my observation, his lateral movement is shot to hell. This won't stop him from being able to run the ball, he's still got the range to get to top speed if he hits the hole right. But, if he gets to where the hole should be and it's clogged... He's not going to be able to jump cut or shuffle to the next hole to pick up yardage.

I really feel for him post-playing days. As someone who has osteoarthritis in my knees, it's not fun - and I doubt my knees are in as bad condition as Gurley's are. 

20 minutes ago, ET80 said:

THIS. This is my observation, his lateral movement is shot to hell. This won't stop him from being able to run the ball, he's still got the range to get to top speed if he hits the hole right. But, if he gets to where the hole should be and it's clogged... He's not going to be able to jump cut or shuffle to the next hole to pick up yardage.

I really feel for him post-playing days. As someone who has osteoarthritis in my knees, it's not fun - and I doubt my knees are in as bad condition as Gurley's are. 

When he runs to the right.. He can cut. But when we run to the left and he can’t and it looks like a cement truck out there. Even when he goes right he’s just not as explosive to beat the edge defenders. Idk Dwade played his whole career without a MCL and it was all bone on bone and he played 82 games a year.. Maybe Gurley can figure something out. But he’s just not as fast and when he catches a ball he just falls and can’t fly.. It’s sad to see really.. Maybe just take some mad HGH and some TRT get you right quick lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Rams continue to act like everything is fine, while outsiders seem to consider it as fact at this point that Gurley has degenerative knees and is a shell of his fomer self. What's the truth?

That one. He has bone on bone arthritis and we've already seen it limits his burst and the number of reps he can get. 

12 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

When he runs to the right.. He can cut. But when we run to the left and he can’t and it looks like a cement truck out there. Even when he goes right he’s just not as explosive to beat the edge defenders. Idk Dwade played his whole career without a MCL and it was all bone on bone and he played 82 games a year.. Maybe Gurley can figure something out. But he’s just not as fast and when he catches a ball he just falls and can’t fly.. It’s sad to see really.. Maybe just take some mad HGH and some TRT get you right quick lol. 

I dont think HGH regenerates cartilage. But I am kinda surprised there is no treatment

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That one. He has bone on bone arthritis and we've already seen it limits his burst and the number of reps he can get. 

I still dont get why you guys locked him up. This was all known since college