Tuitt torn pec...done for season

AFF

45 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The thing is, I genuinely believe NONE of those 4 guys will be on the roster in 2020

I don’t think so either.

Now some of that will (my guess as of now) go to signing Finney to a new deal, same for Dupree and maybe resigning Vannett...year 1 cap hits combined should total no more than $10 mill or so.

Leaves WR/TE...OL depth...Nose/DL depth as the bigger needs going into offseason.

With the way they been aggressive as well lately, I’d wager that they fill a hole in free agency as well.

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'm gonna be pissed if we resign Bud Dupree. He is ONLY playing his butt off for money. As soon as he gets it he will go back to being mediocre. We have scene this episode a thousand times.

Or it could be that he's healthy? How do you know he's only playing for money? I've been impressed with him thus far. If he doesn't want to reset the OLB market, I'd re-sign him. He's been worlds better than Chick and Ola. That's who'd be starting if Bud was gone, even if we drafted an OLB with our first pick.

7 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'm gonna be pissed if we resign Bud Dupree. He is ONLY playing his butt off for money. As soon as he gets it he will go back to being mediocre. We have scene this episode a thousand times.

Oh I agree to an extent but I’m guessing they don’t wanna have to fill 2 holes in the front 7 and Dupree is gonna be cheaper than Hargraves IMO. 

He seems to be playing better overall.

Im just going off what I think they will do.

Edited by AlanFanecaFan

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Or it could be that he's healthy? How do you know he's only playing for money? I've been impressed with him thus far. If he doesn't want to reset the OLB market, I'd re-sign him. He's been worlds better than Chick and Ola. That's who'd be starting if Bud was gone, even if we drafted an OLB with our first pick.

If they can get him for NO MORE than half of his salary this year I may not have an issue with it.

I dont believe he is the guy everyone suddenly thinks he is. Theres still plenty of plays where he proves he cant get off blocks to save his life. 

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

I think the dead money is like $25M

nice one colbert, thanks ben. This year is our only chance because when ben returns there will be no running game and the team will look like the last half of last season and the beginning of this season. What a waste of a deal for someone that was crying retirement a few years ago.  Enjoy this season while we can

18 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I have the same concern for a player that has a career contract season. Why did it take 5 years to get a bit better? I still don't think he is really good, but making progress and not taking downs off is a start anyways. If he was to keep progressing, nothing wrong with that. There could be a few teams out there that get in a bidding war for him though.  Bring back skipper in a trade in the spring if dupree signs elsewhere.

If dupree and hargrave continue to  have  a good year and stay healthy, what type of deal do you see them getting? 

Edited by 3rivers

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I dont believe he is the guy everyone suddenly thinks he is. Theres still plenty of plays where he proves he cant get off blocks to save his life. 

this is my issue especially if the cap for such a player gets his. I expect Barrett to get the most attention in UFA but who knows , Dupree could be comparable. Who else is UFA next year at OLB that you would consider?  I still want them to trade a late pick for skipper and try that, a quick first step goes a ways at OLB here. How deep is the draft at OLB?

I don't think the money will work out for both Dupree and Hargraves.  I really don't think the money will work out for either of them or Finney.  Most likely looking at resigning one of the three without gutting the team.  Smart money is probably on Dupree getting a deal that makes us mad but makes sense in the global perspective.  I think that Hargrave will price himself out of Pittsburgh, but of all the 3, that is who I hope we keep.  Especially if he takes a lot of the snaps for Tuitt now in subpackage looks.

Most likely scenario is resigning Dupree and letting Finney and Hargrave walk.  This will allow us to sign some other pieces of weakness.  A backup OL, cheap NG, vet MLB if we cut Barron, another cheap Edge if we get rid of Chick... stuff like that.  That will set us up for the draft with whatever WR is there in the second, then trench work in the next few rounds.

59 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

How deep is the draft at OLB?

I've been doing some early draft work and the top guys are studs... but they won't be there in the second.  I cannot forsee us getting a first, and that's what it would take to get Chaisson, the kid from LSU.  The top 2 (Gross-Matos and Young) are top 15, and Chaisson is 20-25.  After that, the fall off is drastic.  A lot can change, of course, but there are some warts from all of the other guys.  None of  the guys after Chaisson would be ready to start, IMO.  Which would leave Ola/Chick until the new guy is ready.

Just now, jebrick said:

It is easier to draft a 3 tech DT than a OLB for the Steelers defense.

Plus, maybe they like Buggs to fill in? Buggs and McCullers could probably hold their own. I know they wouldn't be equal to Hargrave, but again how important is the 3T to our defense anyway? With a healthy Heyward and Tuitt, those two would be fighting for scraps anyway. I know Tuitt's health is becoming a problem, though. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

It is easier to draft a 3 tech DT than a OLB for the Steelers defense

This is also a great point that will go against Hargrave staying in Pitt.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Plus, maybe they like Buggs to fill in? Buggs and McCullers could probably hold their own. I know they wouldn't be equal to Hargrave, but again how important is the 3T to our defense anyway? With a healthy Heyward and Tuitt, those two would be fighting for scraps anyway. I know Tuitt's health is becoming a problem, though

The 3T/NT is less important as we play more sub package football.  It is only on base that we use a true NT, and that is 35-40% of the time.  Honestly, if Buggs can be the long term replacement for Alualu (who is a bit older and more expensive) then Mt. McCullers and a draftee can man the Nose.  I know McCUllers is not cheap, but maybe he can prove his worth the next few weeks??? 

1 hour ago, kurgan said:

The 3T/NT is less important as we play more sub package football.  It is only on base that we use a true NT, and that is 35-40% of the time.  Honestly, if Buggs can be the long term replacement for Alualu (who is a bit older and more expensive) then Mt. McCullers and a draftee can man the Nose.  I know McCUllers is not cheap, but maybe he can prove his worth the next few weeks??? 

Hargrave collapses the pocket, so he should stay if they can afford it. dmc better not be on the team next year, that's something everyone here agrees about

18 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Hargrave collapses the pocket, so he should stay if they can afford it. dmc better not be on the team next year, that's something everyone here agrees about

100% agree.  I'd keep him in a split second.  BUT, if we don't and we have to draft a replacement, do we really want the rookie to be alone as the only option, or a cheap FA that also has no idea about scheme and stuff.  Unless we cut McCullers and say get Danny Shelton, then I'd be OK with losing McCullers and Hargrave.  You'd get a draft pick as insurance for Shelton.

Unless we are going to seriously say that we are going to use our first pick on a NT, he is not going to come in and start.  And, I cannot see us doing that, even if we resign Bud.

1 hour ago, kurgan said:

100% agree.  I'd keep him in a split second.  BUT, if we don't and we have to draft a replacement, do we really want the rookie to be alone as the only option, or a cheap FA that also has no idea about scheme and stuff.  Unless we cut McCullers and say get Danny Shelton, then I'd be OK with losing McCullers and Hargrave.  You'd get a draft pick as insurance for Shelton.

Unless we are going to seriously say that we are going to use our first pick on a NT, he is not going to come in and start.  And, I cannot see us doing that, even if we resign Bud.

NT is mostly a thing of the past.  Hargrave plays a few snaps but no way they spend a RD1 pick on a pure NT, or at least I don't expect it. I would like them to play Hargrave as much as they can now that Tuitt isn't playing. Move him around, find out where he disrupts the most and plan around that. Heyward is versatile and this should be a formidable front. As much as Tuitt has been a force, Hargrave brings comparable disruption to the front. He is actually a player on the depth chart that could compare to the starter that actually could be top 5 at his positions.  I am expecting Hargrave to wreck games if he is allowed to attack. If this was Lebeau 2 gap scheme, then he would be  wasted and the results wouldn't compare.

dmc better be gone, if they can't get a DT to replace him, then get new scouts first.  If Shelton is a UFA and BB won't sign him, it might be saying something about him unless it's monetary related. I don't expect the pats to pay the highest price for players. I would keep Hargrave especially if dupree gets the $12M per season type deal I expect some team to pay him. There are teams that overpay free agents every year, and it will happen. 

10 games left, if Hargrave plays comparable to Heyward and what Tuitt played, I would expect similar stats in that timeframe or even better.  I won't be shocked if he gets 10S, 3FF and 15TTFL from here until week 17.  It's just a matter of how much playing time he gets. This could also help the team decide on a 4 man from for the base even though they hybrid a fair amount.  I could still see some 3 man fronts at times, but more 4 man from here on.