MNF: Lions at Packers

Malfatron

who wins  

17 members have voted

1. 1. wins

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/15/2019 at 12:33 AM

3 minutes ago, DannyB said:

He's made one field goal of 60+ yards.

It was 6 years ago.

In Denver.

That is absolutely, utterly, and adorably false. He has made three 60+ yard field goals in his career.

Lets see if you're capable of answering questions: do you feel that Prater is one of the best distance field goal kickers in NFL history?

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

That is absolutely, utterly, and adorably false. He has made three 60+ yard field goals in his career.

Lets see if you're capable of answering questions: do you feel that Prater is one of the best distance field goal kickers in NFL history?

Oh my God you're like my 4 year old with the questions xD

5 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

https://www.profootballhof.com/news/long-field-goals/

How confident are you?

10 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I'm only seeing 1. The 64 yarder. Please cite sources, and if I'm wrong, I'll ask for a refund on my nfl.com subscription.

And like, damn, I didn't even want to get sucked into this whole broader argument. I just wanted the facts out there. But I dunno, maybe, he has a ton of long field goals. Weirdly enough though, he's also only like 20th in NFL history as far as FG percentage. You'd think he'd be higher considering he's a modern kicker.

Matt Prater is 76.9% in his career on 50+ yds.

That is certainly one of the highest percentages from 50+ yards in NFL history

5 minutes ago, DannyB said:

I'm only seeing 1. The 64 yarder. Please cite sources, and if I'm wrong, I'll ask for a refund on my nfl.com subscription.

And like, damn, I didn't even want to get sucked into this whole broader argument. I just wanted the facts out there. But I dunno, maybe, he has a ton of long field goals. Weirdly enough though, he's also only like 20th in NFL history as far as FG percentage. You'd think he'd be higher considering he's a modern kicker.

He had a 60 and a 61 yarder in preseason games.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400874759

https://detroitsportsnation.com/watch-lions-kicker-matt-prater-drills-61-yard-field-goal/mwhitaker/detroit-lions-news/08/24/2019/207892/

Edited by Cheesehawk

2 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

Matt Prater is 76.9% in his career on 50+ yds.

That is certainly one of the highest percentages from 50+ yards in NFL history

He had a 60 and a 61 yarder in preseason games.

Oh jesus, yeah that for sure doesn't count. That's like when they talk about what they can hit in practice and warm ups.

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

especially when the Lions have a player like Prater, who is able to hit kicks from 60+ with regularity, or like Stafford, who is likely better than a large chunk of players that participated in those previous games.

Even if that were true, you’re ignoring the other half of the equation. The 2019 Packers defense is well above average. Not to mention playing at home. If we’re going to try introducing mitigating factors, it should be done on both sides.

Top-10 defense in lowest score% allowed and in highest TO%. #7 defense in FO dvoa and #5 in passing defense dvoa (and the Lions would most likely be primarily trying to pass, given the clock).

What about all the hands to the face that they didnt call?

Or maybe it was gamesmanship by Bahk.

either way, the squeaky wheel got the grease

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/david-bakhtiari-was-lobbying-ref-before-decisive-calls/ar-AAIRET2

I went over to the ref,” Bakhtiari said. “I said, ‘Hey, are we not calling hands to the face again? Because the past three plays, I’ve been staring at the sky.’ And he’s like, you know, he’s not looking at my side, but I at least made him aware.”

“I can definitely tell you,” Bakhtiari said, “for a good portion of the game, I was getting my throat punched in, and I was looking up at the sky a fair amount. If you think about it, if your hand is in my throat, you’re probably hitting my facemask, which is pushing my head up in the sky.”

Edited by Malfatron

2 hours ago, theuntouchable said:

Just curious here, if you only count it as 1 60+ yarder (I actually agree with that viewpoint) are you saying he can’t be because it’s only 1? 

What!? Is that what you think I mean? Somebody can't do something that they have demonstrated they have the ability to do? Come on.

I was merely pointing out that he doesn't hit 60 yarders "with regularity". Rather he has hit ONE in an actual NFL game, in over a decade of work, and it was in the thin air in Denver.

That's all I'm saying. His statement was grossly inaccurate.

5 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Wait. That's a generic calculation? Eh, I don't think that's valid when discussing the circumstances of a specific game.

It's not necessarily generic but the OP just simply wasn't smart enough to actually look at the data he provided and didn't understand it first before trying to pass it off as gospel.

6 hours ago, incognito_man said:
6 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I'm curious: if the Lions had the ball with 1:30 left and the ball on the 20, down by 1 with 0 timeouts, what do you think the odds are that they win the game?

< 30.49%

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

http://pfref.com/tiny/3wI01

cant input timeouts, hence the <

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

but take issue when you find out it was generated using data from every NFL game in history? I'm actually laughing at the absurdity. :)

You should actually look at the data, consider the resource and understand it first before you post it because there are so many things wrong this. 

1) PFR has not updated it's win probability format since 2016 mid season. They still provide the EPA in the game by game but the win probability calculator has been broken for 3 years now. 

2) It only dates from 1994-2016, not in NFL game history like you tried to pass it off as.

3) It's a VERY small sample size. There are only 26 TOTAL PLAYS listed in that link you provided. 26 plays out of a total of 813 regular season games since 1994! Hell, that's not even a small sample size. 

4) The vegas odds that you selected was wrong as well. You put in 4 and PFR's resource had the vegas odds at 3.5 which even by this outdated format bumped the odds up to 40%.

For reference to everything I have said. Click on the link you posted where it says See all plays in this situation » and notice the heading. 

Current search:

From 1994 to 2016, any team vs. any team, in the regular season, in the fourth quarter, 01:30 or less remaining, at Team 20, on 1st down, 10 yards to go, scoring margin is between -1 and -1, sorted by yards descending