Is the NFL rigged?

Millenhater

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

My solution is simple but will not be well received initially. Make every single penalty challengeable.

This was considered a blindside block.

agree. With the tech on their side, they should be able to solve this , it's just a matter of how and when. The problem is that the nfl and it's hierarchy aren't willing to change much and if they do it's a bit at a time.

If they review the penalties, the nfl sees this sa as way of saying " you hired bad refs, they can't make the right call etc",  but then they hype the game saying the players are faster etc.  Maybe if the players are faster and offences more advanced, the officiating should be as well? Just a possibility isn't it?

Fans will accept a slight delay /proper call instead of this rubbish they are dealing with now. 

The nfl seems to continuously get ridiculed for the officiating and the rules the league has in place. It's time for them to clear the past and present and start over for the world of 2019. Will they? No , of course not, because they will wait a few more years until it becomes the topic of fan posters/banners in stadiums , media and more fines against players etc.  Imagine getting fined for complaining about a bad call xD 

• Pardon me as I put my phone and pepsi down as I try on a new pair of nikes at footlocker while wearing my Kelce jersey:D

10 hours ago, Malfatron said:

I think players would have to even be better to fix games

I would say the OC and DC can control the game the most, then the officials and of course the review booth.  I don't know what to make of this league anymore, it's flag happy and has some rules I don't like that makes it unfair for defenders. Being in my late 40's, I miss the hitting and violence of the game and this league is much different.  Now the refs are getting more criticism than I could ever remember too. What's next though? How are the prices of hot dogs and a pepsi at the game?

50 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I'm not a Packers fan and officials job is to apply the rules to what they see

They probably do this, the problem is the pace and sometimes the view the ref sees the game from. Time to let tech enter the picture and get the calls right, that's all, simple does it. Wait, that will cost a bit more though, the nfl will hire temps off the street for min wage/no benefits to run the extra camera(s).

I would say many penalties could be solved in under 30 seconds, then there would be the resetting of the gameclock.  

Goodell makes $40M+ a year , maybe he can offer an idea or two?

Edited by 3rivers

Q: would it be impossible to correct the officiating to the point where games outcomes aren't effected nearly as much? 

A: (goodell) there is a great tradition the nfl wishes to preserves and the human element in officiating is a part of the great history of this game. After several discussions with league representatives  and owners, we have concluded that the officials are doing the best they can , and will continue to do so under the existing conditions. We appreciate the fans concerns and look forward to continuing to provide a quality product on the field as we always have.

Mark Cuban nailed this with his pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered comments.

The NFL has decided that refs are more important than fans.

We should stop buying hats, shirts, keychains, jerseys, and pretty much everything outside of actual games.

Detroit should pull a New Orleans and have almost no one watch on Sunday.

You can't have the Jeff Heath hit on the Dolphins defenseless receiver be perfectly OK and then a ref justifies calling the same play a penalty when a Lion does it to a Packer. If the rules are arbitrary then there are no rules.

Until the NFL feels it in the wallet, they will continue to treat us like peasants.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 2

I don’t think you can rig games. I would say that refs are lenient towards certain teams and players without a doubt. Is it a mandate by the league? I don’t think so because it would have come out by now. It’s probably what the OP calls the Jordan effect. When you expect a team to play well, close plays go their way.

51 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If they made the review process as quick as Baseball does it (or even faster) I'd be in favor of making all penalties reviewable, but if all reviews are going to be 5+ minutes long, no thanks.

They can't. Baseball is very black and white and has far less judgment and subjectivity to it. 

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I hope things don’t escalate, but these refs need to get their ish together before the mob mentality intensifies. 

it's about time for another event like this , just a matter of times. For some reason I don't expect it to happen to a certain few QB's teams though

48 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

it's about time for another event like this , just a matter of times. For some reason I don't expect it to happen to a certain few QB's teams though

Here is the thing. Those officials deserved to be punched in the face. It was the wrong call to go back 2 plays. Same way that whether you like it or not it was the wrong call to overturn the fumble in the Steelers game. They 'conference about it' while someone chirped in their headsets to say that it was interference on a non-reviewable play, technically taking the time to review it. The officials called it a fumble and wrong call or not, it should've been one. 

Not because it was the Steelers because it's the rules, it's a NON-REVIEWABLE play that they technically reviewed. 

Edited by wwhickok

4 hours ago, JonMcC2018 said:

I hate to break it to you but unfortunately all human beings are inconsistent. Quarterbacks throw interceptions. Offensive tackles miss blocks. Linebackers miss tackles. Refs miss calls.

There has always and will always be inconsistency.

I’ve watched the NFL for decades. The NFL is becoming unwatchable. I’m not going to wear a tin foil hat and say that there’s rigging going on. It’s way too inconsistently bad for it to be rigged. There’s just a high level of incompetence capped by confusing enforcement of rules and a very apparent effort by officials to throw a hissy fit about rules they should be  enforcing. I can’t for the life of me understand how people can say that it hasn’t gotten significantly worse compared to say 10 years ago. 

If they never showed replays, then most of this wouldn't be discussed.

Since they show replays all the time in HD and slow motion, they are going to have to employ that tech into making better calls  on the field somehow. I don't expect the nfl to do it until they are being severely criticized  and possibly losing ratings and fanbase.

Edited by 3rivers
  • Like 2