Is the NFL rigged?

Millenhater

5 hours ago, lancerman said:

Absolutely not what I'm asking and it takes an absurd leap in logic to come to that conclusion

On 10/14/2019 at 11:51 PM, lancerman said:

The hands were in the neck area. The ref can call a flag after that if he thinks it's signficant enough. Soft flags are a thing. If Flowers didn't want the call, he should have kept his hands lower

Huh. It's almost like you said it verbatim.

5 hours ago, Pugger said:

Packers fans know the officiating in the league sucks these days.  But I'll say this - if YOUR team was the beneficiary of those calls last night you wouldn't be complaining.  Every team gets jobbed and every team gets breaks.  If this game wasn't on national TV nobody but NFCN fans would be talking about it.

For sure. As it stands, the Lions were lucky to even be in that game with all GBs mistakes. We're all pretty used to having 12 crush us at the last second. It's literally expected.

I'd still be complaining about officiating, I just wouldn't be heated about it. I'd be laughing at how pathetic it was, like the Cowboys/Jets game. Laughing all the way to the Win bank.

• Like 1

to answer the question, I don't think the NFL is rigged in the sense that they want certain teams to win in all and are trying to make that happen.

but i wouldn't be surprised if they're intentionally keeping games close, they have reason to.

Edited by Dome

8 hours ago, Pugger said:

The first hands to the face, according to an announcement by the NFL on Tuesday, was the correct call.  If they don't call the second one we would still be able to kick a FG there to take the lead.

I find it curious that folks are declaring we get all the calls in our favor.  Fail Mary says hello.

Who cares what the NFL announced? I know what my eyes saw, and neither were fouls. The NFL coming out and admitting to one being wrong is them trying to appease the masses without making themselves look even worse.

I'll bite. If the second isn't called, at least it gives the Lions a fair chance of driving for a game winning FG. Win or lose, I think the first call gets brushed under the rug and nobody is overly upset other than the normal "refs suck". That second call took any chance the Lions had away by allowing GB to run the clock out.

I never said anything about GB favoritism in regards to penalties. Refs are sucking league wide at a rate that would make the adult film industry proud. 

• Like 1

I was told the league rigged the Jags Pats AFC title game to get Brady in the Super Bowl so he could win his 6th championship. You know because he’s the “golden boy”. Those same people two weeks later were never able to explain why the nfl then allowed their “golden boy” to lose a Super Bowl to a backup QB.

Edited by CP3MVP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SWATcha said:

Who cares what the NFL announced? I know what my eyes saw, and neither were fouls. The NFL coming out and admitting to one being wrong is them trying to appease the masses without making themselves look even worse.

I'll bite. If the second isn't called, at least it gives the Lions a fair chance of driving for a game winning FG. Win or lose, I think the first call gets brushed under the rug and nobody is overly upset other than the normal "refs suck". That second call took any chance the Lions had away by allowing GB to run the clock out.

I never said anything about GB favoritism in regards to penalties. Refs are sucking league wide at a rate that would make the adult film industry proud. 

Exactly.

The first call was extremely soft but can be explained by POV, slight graze, etc.

But to then back it up a few minutes later with a phantom call on the same player that essentially ended the game?

Awful.

1 hour ago, SWATcha said:

I know what my eyes saw, and neither were fouls.

I'll not debate you on what you think you saw, but put that aside for a moment and try this at home

Pull your hand toward your chest with your palm facing your chest and grasp the collar of your shirt so the back of your hand is facing forward and your fingers are wrapped around your collar and pointing downwards. Now - you'll note that in this position, your fist is actually touching your neck, seemingly punching yourself in the neck. Now imagine an NFL DL doing the same thing, grasping the collar/shoulder pads and controlling the OT. It's hard to do that without punching the OT in the neck -  and that is indeed a foul in the NFL.

Its a flaw in the way the rules are written and enforced. The moment the DL grabs on, he's setting the stage to punch the OT in the neck, regardless of his intent. And that's why the Packers OT Bakh went to the Refs and said: " This guy is punching me in the neck over and over, can you please keep an eye on it ? "

The other thing to note is that when you grasp an OT like that, each move of your hand jerks the OTs head back and forth and that's what the Ref saw. He saw a fist on the neck and the head jerking, so he threw a flag. The fans scream: "But he didn't touch the facemask !" 
But the facemask isn't The Decider they imagine it to be, the neck is also part of the rule

I've reffed football games and its the hardest thing I've ever done in life... No replay, no second looks, only one angle. You have a micro- instant to make a call and you do the best you can. In many cases, you'll see a guy doing a dirty deed several times and warn him, and eventually throw a flag. Fans get bent out of shape over the one instance shown in super slo-mo, but they aren't aware of all that happened on previous plays. That's the value of having these Refs on the field vs adjudicating everything from New York. Using both together is probably best, but the logistics of that system are still being worked out

And one final comment about the alleged rigging of games. ( uh, no)

In many cases, these rulings are coming from the NFL owners telling the Refs to call this or call that or emphasize this or focus on that. That's what makes the Refs jobs so hard; they are beholding to an ownership group that wants to keep the game violent enough for us to stay tuned in, but safe enough that they don't lose precious revenue or hinder their future. And the Refs are stuck in the middle of that conundrum, being told what to do vs doing what's right from their POV.

Why did Hochuli and Steratore retire suddenly ? Because they were tired of the owners telling them how to do their jobs, which in many cases went against what they believed was right and good for the game. If you let the Refs ref without interference from ownership, some of the angst and screaming goes away imo
IF you need somebody to be pissed at, there's 32 owners who need to grow a pair and own this problem - because they created it in their never-ending lust for mo money. The Refs are doing the owners bidding and so the Refs take the hit... while the owners are on their yachts counting their billions

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CP3MVP said:

I was told the league rigged the Jags Pats AFC title game to get Brady in the Super Bowl so he could win his 6th championship. You know because he’s the “golden boy”. Those same people two weeks later were never able to explain why the nfl then allowed their “golden boy” to lose a Super Bowl to a backup QB.

The NFL was going with the "long con" by screwing the Saints in the NFC Championship Game last year. It's brilliant.

13 hours ago, Pugger said:

Packers fans know the officiating in the league sucks these days.  But I'll say this - if YOUR team was the beneficiary of those calls last night you wouldn't be complaining.  Every team gets jobbed and every team gets breaks.  If this game wasn't on national TV nobody but NFCN fans would be talking about it.

I only hope to live long enough to know what that feels like.  

Maybe you could describe it and I could live vicariously through you.

On 10/14/2019 at 10:50 PM, ChazStandard said:

Rigged, no.

But refs are either just way too easily influenced by the crowd, or favour certain teams. Seattle, KC and GB especially get insane officiating at home. And it’s always the same handful getting the worst - Browns and Lions have insane bad luck.

Remember that time a Browns player was standing next to the ref holding a fumble he just recovered, and the refs award the ball to the other side? It’s crazy how it happens all the time.

Yeah, Seattle, KC, GB 

But DEFINITELY not NE lol

• Like 1