Is the NFL rigged?

Millenhater

4 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:
9 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

It's kind of a shame because if that game ending call wasn't a 3rd down, or a final drive, I don't think there is nearly as much heat on it. So do we change what we call depending on where you are in the game? 

Not defending the refs, but I just don't know anymore. 

Nah, just don't make minor calls like that an automatic first down. 

Fine with me! I support making it a 5 yard, not auto first down penalty. 

5 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

Totally understand that view point as well. With the number of stoppages and everything else it’d be hard to add even more. There’s always going to be mistakes regardless. As you start adding on ways for things to “get better” it will inevitably uncover more and more plays that should be reviewed or scrutinized etc etc. 

From my perspective, there should be some way to review something like that and say yea we’re not gonna do it that way. A ref up in the booth with access to all angles? Idk because it could still open up a bigger can of worms. 

One of the proposals this off-season was just that, having a in-the-box ref with full authority over calls, I believe

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Rigged, no.

But refs are either just way too easily influenced by the crowd, or favour certain teams. Seattle, KC and GB especially get insane officiating at home. And it’s always the same handful getting the worst - Browns and Lions have insane bad luck.

Remember that time a Browns player was standing next to the ref holding a fumble he just recovered, and the refs award the ball to the other side? It’s crazy how it happens all the time.

pretty much this. i'll add that it's very obvious in terms of which QBs get protected with roughing the passer calls and which ones don't.

10 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

I would agree if Trey only got flagged once. But an identical phantom call, on the same guy, both in the 4th quarter, both on failed 3rd down conversions. This has to be unprecedented.

I'm not saying they were good calls, I'm not saying it's totally fair (although some pictures from the game show his hands did make contact with the face), but they were similar plays with similar motions and physical reactions from Bahk. If the ref thinks he was right on the first one, maybe he was looking for it again since it's in his head.

Not trying to justifying, just saying I don't think it was as insane as others are making it. Many other blown calls come to mind as being more inexplicable.

Hard to argue that it isn't with what happened last night. 

In my opinion its not that it's out right rigged. Its that the officials are biased again certain teams and players they don't like. Just watch Cam Newton career till now. They also are human beings. And with that they get emotional too. They don't like being called out and yelled at and being told they're wrong. So they make calls out of spite and they also throw make up calls when they mess us to try and cover their ***. 

In general they are pathetic.

Edited by RabidPanther89

Just now, DannyB said:

I'm not saying they were good calls, I'm not saying it's totally fair (although some pictures from the game show his hands did make contact with the face), but they were similar plays with similar motions and physical reactions from Bahk. If the ref thinks he was right on the first one, maybe he was looking for it again since it's in his head.

Not trying to justifying, just saying I don't think it was as insane as others are making it. Many other blown calls come to mind as being more inexplicable.

The biggest part of it that bugs me is that bahks hand was directly on Flowers facemask and pushed his head back on that same play. Without that, I’d chalk it up to a close call that didn’t go the right way. 

3 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

One of the proposals this off-season was just that, having a in-the-box ref with full authority over calls, I believe

I believe so too and it’s most likely the ideal solution. Someone who has quick access to all view points and can buzz in and say wait a minute. 

I think the idea of a coach challenging a flag is meh at best. I understand they put it in for pass interference but we can see what type of success that has had so far. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waterfish_21 said:

Have you not watched a single game this year ( serious question, no seriously).  They are using technology and the refs are still getting it wrong with technology.  Adding more tech that the refs refuse to use won't help much.

Basically after 90% of PI replays the refs should just say, "After reviewing the play, I did not actually review the play because I'm the ref and I get to call it what I want, and I'm not going to admit we were wrong in the first place."  Because that is what happens.

That’s a league decision. Not a ref decision 

12 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Having just watched the Lions get jobbed AGAIN, does anyone think that perhaps the NFL is rigged?  Why is it that certain franchises always and I mean ALWAYS have the bad luck of blown calls?

Call it the Jordan effect or whatever but if you’re  a Lions fan and it happens repeatedly how can you come away with any other thought than the league doesn’t want you to win?

If your franchise is snakebiten what are your thoughts?

Well, so far my 49ers are 5-0. 

Outside of emotional reaction, I wouldn't say games are rigged, as in clear who will be named victor,

I do think many games are PUSHED by ref calls.. and pushed intentionally. Whether this is due to ref bias, gambling, or a more League-wide corruption from the top, I don't know. 

Whether it's a team I like or don't like that gets the win, there is a bad smell on many games I have watched.. and this isn't new. Just sucks, when you realize (time and again) that you wsted hours of your time on a oft-disingenuous matchup. 

9 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

That's not how officiating is supposed to work. I can't fathom why some Packers fans are defending officials. It's ludicrous. They aren't on your team. You hated them until today. Stop it.

I'm not a Packers fan and officials job is to apply the rules to what they see

6 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

The risk hasn't stopped it from happening in other sports... How do we know it doesn't happen in the NFL and no one has been caught yet? I'm not saying it does happen... But it's certainly possible.

What do you think the NFL being "rigged" means? I don't classify the league as rigged if a ref or even player is bought off. That would be a game being rigged at most. For the NFL itself to be rigged that would have to be the top brass itself deciding who wins and loses games/Super Bowls. That has never happened and certainly isn't happening now.

7 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I'm not a Packers fan and officials job is to apply the rules to what they see

Well the calls that get called that weren't there couldn't have possibly be seen.

There is too much assuming from referees. If you don't see it with certainty don't throw the flag. Unless they make commissions from flags thrown, then that makes more sense to their actions.