Lions VS Packers Takeaways

Just Want A Title

This was a frustrating game to watch for a lot of reasons.  That said:

1.  The referees really blew this game at the end.  The no-call on the pass interference and the two hands to the face penalties were killers.  The unnecessary roughness call on Tracy Walker wasn't great either.  This is an embarrassment to the NFL.  I hope this officiating crew gets fired.

2.  Our interior pass-rush showed signs of life.  Kevin Strong had a couple of good plays.  Damon Harrison picked up a sack caused by Jahlani Tavai.  

3.  Our edge pass-rush is putrid.  We need more sacks from our D-Line.  Period.  You can't let any NFL quarterback, let alone Aaron Rodgers sit back with all the time in the world.  Romeo Okwara, where are you?

4.  Our secondary is playing awesome football but they can't carry the defense.  

5.  Paul Pasqualoni gets too conservative too quickly.  His schemes keep us in the game but start to resemble "prevent defense"  too often.  It may be time to change coordinators.

6.  Our offense struggled in the red zone and really fizzled out as the game went on.  We need more touchdowns.  Whatever Pasqualoni has, Bevell catches it late in the game also.

7.  Overall, I this coaching staff seems to be thinking too much.  They lack a killer instinct and it is showing up at the worst possible times.

8.  Is Jesse James ever going to be involved in the passing game?  He caught 40 balls last year.  

9.  I don't know if it was the Packers defense or what but the passing game in the middle of the field was non-existent.  What gives with that?

10.  Our RT situation is not great.  Rick Wagner is getting paid way too much to get beaten like he did tonight.  The problem is Tyrell Crosby is a better LT than RT.  Not sure what we do about that.

11.  We have a couple of good young safeties.  Tracy Walker is playing really well.  Will Harris is starting to flash also.  

12.  Jarrad Davis is a great locker room presence but he seems out of place as an ILB.  He would be way more effective on the outside.

Thoughts?

Here’s a take away that I’ve noticed so far this season: Hock has to learn to secure the catch. I feel like he’s dropped a few TDS already. Maybe he just needs to get stronger but he really needs to not have drops in the end zone. 

Oh and the refs screwed us again. You know. The usual. 

Offensive line is a real issue. Wagner got beat several times, and just whiffed a few times. We've spent too many resources there to be this bad. We're likely going to have to get 2 or 3 new starters in there if we want to have a solid unit... and that includes both tackles. Unfortunate. I believe our offensive line issues have a direct correlation with our failures to score in the red zone. We can't run super effectively, so we're still pretty one dimensional.

Edge pressure isn't a huge concern for me right now since we aren't giving up the edges and we're playing in coverage so often. Our secondary is really nice.

Jarrad Davis... I agree entirely. I love his heart and energy but he seems a bit out of position. Tavai has really impressed.

No point in talking about the officials. Can't control the officials.

Our redzone offense was putrid and while theres plenty of blame to go around, I think Bevells play calling is the biggest issue. We have too many good targets to be so bad there. 

Our tackles are so inconsistent it scares me.

And Jarrad Davis is looking more and more like a bust. Only thing he does well is blitz and we hardly do it.

I’m still to upset about the outcome last night to articulate my thoughts. However this is close with a nice breakdown of each blown call and the impact. 

Also, it’s nice to see a lot of respected people voicing their displeasure with the officiating not just us Lions fans. 

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/10/15/20915153/packers-lions-monday-night-officiating-aaron-rodgers

12 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Here’s a take away that I’ve noticed so far this season: Hock has to learn to secure the catch. I feel like he’s dropped a few TDS already. Maybe he just needs to get stronger but he really needs to not have drops in the end zone. 

According to the new rules, one could (rightfully) argue that Hockenson's catch in the end zone should've been called a TD. There is no longer a "surviving the ground" requirement to completing a catch.

According to the NFL rulebook:

A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) in the field of play, at the sideline, or in the end zone if a player, who is inbounds:

a. secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

b. touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

c. after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so. 

Hockenson catches the ball securely, gets both feed in bounds, then clearly tucks the ball away. It's only when his body hits the ground that the ball comes loose, but this was removed as a requirement of completing a catch.

• Like 1