Jump to content
Broncofan

OAK puts K Sebastien Janikowski on IR with herniated disc (back)

Recommended Posts

Broncofan    73

Three interesting points even though it's just a K involved:

1.  Raiders approached Janikowski for a pay cut earlier this offseason as final cuts were coming up and he resisted unti he finally agreeing to go from 4M to 3M.  Thing is there was no guaranteed $ the Raiders could have saved all the $ if they had cut him before 53-man roster deadline last Saturday.   Now all 3M guaranteed.  He's lucky they didn't cut him outright.  

2.  His career could be done - interesting to see if he gets any HoF consideration given his longevity and long range prowess in his peak years.   If Morten Andersen gets in...well you get the idea.  

3.   The Raiders signed their PS kicker but you wonder if they call back the guys who auditioned last week (Josh Lambo stands out from that group  ).  Maybe Aguayo (unlikely)? 

 

Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)
Kicker news: The #Raiders have promoted Giorgio Tavecchio to the active roster and placed Sebastian Janikowski (disc) on Injured Reserve.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EliteTexan80    283

We all like to knock this as a 1st round pick wasted, but Seabass was a consistent K for nearly two decades. That's an incredible ROI for that pick. 

Hope to see him kicking again, but wouldn't blame the big guy if he retired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OleXmad    71

Back injuries for a kicker? oof....At 38ish this is probably his last year as a raider. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jakuvious    114
4 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

We all like to knock this as a 1st round pick wasted, but Seabass was a consistent K for nearly two decades. That's an incredible ROI for that pick. 

Hope to see him kicking again, but wouldn't blame the big guy if he retired.

He spent like half his career in the bottom half of the league in FG%. Along with a handful of seasons last in the stat, and like 6 in the bottom 5.

He had a phenomenal leg, but as far as kickers go, consistent might be the last thing I'd call him. A handful of years as one of the league's worst, a few as one of the league's best, and several in between.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

He spent like half his career in the bottom half of the league in FG%. Along with a handful of seasons last in the stat, and like 6 in the bottom 5.

He had a phenomenal leg, but as far as kickers go, consistent might be the last thing I'd call him. A handful of years as one of the league's worst, a few as one of the league's best, and several in between.

Um, inconsistent overall sure, but he had at least one stretch where he was virtually automatic.  Plus being able to have a leg you can even be ok with trying from 60 has been invaluable over the years, especially on the inept teams we've fielded.  

 

I'm far from the only Raider fan who loves Seabass and has 0 regret over that pick.  He's our franchise leading scorer and has played for us for almost 20 years.  That isn't very common for kickers any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jakuvious    114
3 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Um, inconsistent overall sure, but he had at least one stretch where he was virtually automatic.  Plus being able to have a leg you can even be ok with trying from 60 has been invaluable over the years, especially on the inept teams we've fielded.  

 

I'm far from the only Raider fan who loves Seabass and has 0 regret over that pick.  He's our franchise leading scorer and has played for us for almost 20 years.  That isn't very common for kickers any more.

So you agree?

Never questioned his leg nor his longevity. But he did not have a consistent career at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomas5737    147
34 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

So you agree?

Never questioned his leg nor his longevity. But he did not have a consistent career at all.

He has missed 101 FG attempts but 45 of those have been beyond 50 yards. He wasn't special inside 50 but he was good from anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RuskieTitan    20

So strange with the whole pay cut, not wanting it then accepting it, and now going on the IR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jakuvious    114
5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He has missed 101 FG attempts but 45 of those have been beyond 50 yards. He wasn't special inside 50 but he was good from anywhere.

Sometimes. You can completely omit the 50+ yarders and he still had stinker seasons. 2013 he was 78% under 50 yards. 2002 he was 77%.  74% in 2005. A couple years around 80% in 06 and 07 and 15. He still had multiple years where he was not a consistently accurate kicker with or without the long attempts included. He was not a consistent player over the course of his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bzane    15

Is Sea Bass about to be released?? Sure looks that way!

Image result for sea bass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
domepatrol91    209

One hell of a career if he decides to hang 'em up.

I thought Roberto was gonna be the next high pick legend at the kicking position, Seabass is in a league of his own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomas5737    147
8 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Sometimes. You can completely omit the 50+ yarders and he still had stinker seasons. 2013 he was 78% under 50 yards. 2002 he was 77%.  74% in 2005. A couple years around 80% in 06 and 07 and 15. He still had multiple years where he was not a consistently accurate kicker with or without the long attempts included. He was not a consistent player over the course of his career.

He wasn't an all-time great nor was he consistent when compared to an all-time great (of recent years) but just as a random kicker lasting 17 years with the same team proves he was consistently good. While he had shanks at times his powerful leg made up for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×