State of the Titans (their place in the league)

KingTitan

Conversation about our place in the league caused for this thread.
What separates us from what many consider the bottom basement teams of the league?

Miami and Ciny was mentioned

Last 10 years: Miami has 72 wins,  Cincy has 85 wins and we have 68 wins ( not counting this year).

Cincy has 6 playoff appearances in that span (no wins)
Dolphins and us both have 1.  

I think we are exactly who the Dolphins are, except we have better PR, if you want to call it that.

Are we a bottom basement team? Are we just in the forest and not seeing the trees? 

• Like 1

I’ve shared my thoughts in the Mariota thread, and have expressed this before — but so soooo much of it is the fact that we don’t have a coach who instills a winning mentality and culture in this team. Grit, passion, fire, accountability, resiliency. Five things this team lacks.

I highly doubt there are many Serie A fans in here, but when Inter Milan signed Antonio Conte over the summer to coach the team, they’ve done a complete 180. Now they went and grabbed some young and talented players to fill out the roster that Conte wants to play with, but several players have come out and said things like “Conte gets us believing in ourselves” and “Conte has established a new mentality here.” And they’re now competing with Juventus for the top of table. 

for me, if you’re winning 8 games a season you might as well be winning 5, because it really, really doesn’t matter. So if three wins a season are what separates us from the Browns or Jets of the world, then so be it. But the gap between us and the Jets is much smaller than the gap between us and the Ravens. 

look at the offense we run for Pete’s sake. You have intelligent FANS online breaking down the All-22 tape and showing how elementary it is. Imagine what defensive coordinators think when they look at Art Smith’s tape! Name another team that would even HIRE Art Smith in the sham OC search we had. I’ll wait. 

Our biggest issue isn’t whether or not we have enough talent, it’s that we cannot get out of our own way. One step forward, two steps back. To me, that’s a crappy franchise. That’s a loser franchise. 

This is a basketball comparison that nobody other than me will understand, but that’s fine. We are the Bucks before they drafted Giannis. Sometimes we’re terrible, most of the time we’re fine, occasionally we will sneak into the playoffs and do nothing.

We’re a mediocre franchise that nobody cares about nationally and our one trademark is that, no matter who the GM is, who the HC is or who the players are, we will be one of the most boring teams in the league. 

We aren’t lovable losers because we win just enough to not be bottom dwellers. We’re certainly not favorites or a team with any sort of history or tradition. The best thing you can say about us is that we exist.

• Like 1

Didn't someone bring up the winning statistics and we were like 17th over 10 years?  That would be far from bottom of the league, but then again, just because the Dolphins are the worst team this year doesn't make them the bottom over the last 10 years.

Is 10 years the metric that makes us look the worst? How are we over 20 years? 5 years?

25 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Didn't someone bring up the winning statistics and we were like 17th over 10 years?  That would be far from bottom of the league, but then again, just because the Dolphins are the worst team this year doesn't make them the bottom over the last 10 years.

Is 10 years the metric that makes us look the worst? How are we over 20 years? 5 years?

10 years is just a standard number. But saying we are bottom of the league, but we aren't ahead of teams that have the perception of being bottoms feeders. 

20 years you end up with the "different era of football" claim. When people compared numbers of Marcus to Steve you get the different day statement.  

10 years to me gives a snapshot picture. And is relevant. 

Irrelevant to me are when teams say we've won 5 Superbowls and 4 of them came in the 70s. 

5 years we are up there I think being 3 winning seasons of 24 wins in there. 

8 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

10 years is just a standard number. But saying we are bottom of the league, but we aren't ahead of teams that have the perception of being bottoms feeders. 

20 years you end up with the "different era of football" claim. When people compared numbers of Marcus to Steve you get the different day statement.  

10 years to me gives a snapshot picture. And is relevant. 

Irrelevant to me are when teams say we've won 5 Superbowls and 4 of them came in the 70s. 

5 years we are up there I think being 3 winning seasons of 24 wins in there. 

I didn't really consider the Bengals or Dolphins bottom feeders. They just are this year. A few years ago the Cowboys picked 3rd overall, doesn't make them a bottom feeder though.

Dolphins average over 8 wins a season throughout that timeframe, certainly not a bottom feeder.

On 16.10.2019 at 12:16 AM, deeluxx3 said:

I’ve shared my thoughts in the Mariota thread, and have expressed this before — but so soooo much of it is the fact that we don’t have a coach who instills a winning mentality and culture in this team. Grit, passion, fire, accountability, resiliency. Five things this team lacks.

I highly doubt there are many Serie A fans in here, but when Inter Milan signed Antonio Conte over the summer to coach the team, they’ve done a complete 180. Now they went and grabbed some young and talented players to fill out the roster that Conte wants to play with, but several players have come out and said things like “Conte gets us believing in ourselves” and “Conte has established a new mentality here.” And they’re now competing with Juventus for the top of table. 

for me, if you’re winning 8 games a season you might as well be winning 5, because it really, really doesn’t matter. So if three wins a season are what separates us from the Browns or Jets of the world, then so be it. But the gap between us and the Jets is much smaller than the gap between us and the Ravens. 

look at the offense we run for Pete’s sake. You have intelligent FANS online breaking down the All-22 tape and showing how elementary it is. Imagine what defensive coordinators think when they look at Art Smith’s tape! Name another team that would even HIRE Art Smith in the sham OC search we had. I’ll wait. 

Our biggest issue isn’t whether or not we have enough talent, it’s that we cannot get out of our own way. One step forward, two steps back. To me, that’s a crappy franchise. That’s a loser franchise. 

While I can respect any mention or parallel to European football, if we really want to be Inter Milan with Conte, then we really are not asking for any big of a switch in philosophy. Conte's style of play is far from anything to be excited about. Players and fans initially loved him at Chelsea as well, until his system was exposed and they fall further and further away from the title contenders they once were, and he began to look more like a mad man. 

If we want to be a team that will be, very likely, at the most a potential threat to Juventus in Serie A, but nothing more than that at the big boys' table, showcased by them being lucky to sneak by with a draw at home against Slavia Praga, we're not wanting to be winners.

Also, yes, Miami and Cincy are not bottom feeders, unless we only look at this year. They, just like us, are teams stuck in the middle, for whom the lack of a legit franchise QB has caused even the talented rosters they once had to go to waste.

40 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

While I can respect any mention or parallel to European football, if we really want to be Inter Milan with Conte, then we really are not asking for any big of a switch in philosophy. Conte's style of play is far from anything to be excited about. Players and fans initially loved him at Chelsea as well, until his system was exposed and they fall further and further away from the title contenders they once were, and he began to look more like a mad man. 

If we want to be a team that will be, very likely, at the most a potential threat to Juventus in Serie A, but nothing more than that at the big boys' table, showcased by them being lucky to sneak by with a draw at home against Slavia Praga, we're not wanting to be winners.

Also, yes, Miami and Cincy are not bottom feeders, unless we only look at this year. They, just like us, are teams stuck in the middle, for whom the lack of a legit franchise QB has caused even the talented rosters they once had to go to waste.

The Conte comparison is not about style of play (but his fits like a glove in Serie A), but the GRINTA he has brought that club. He might be a guy that wears out his welcome, but the job he did with Juve and the Azzurri was top notch coaching and he’s able to get the best out of mediocre players. 

Right now we're just existing in the league and we have for a long time. Until we get a QB that can really energize the fan base and make us an exciting offensive football team along with a competent offensive line we're always going to be near the bottom of the league in terms of actually mattering in the grand scheme of the league year to year. If we had a competent offense to go along with the defense we currently have there's a real possibility we're 6-0 right now and in the thick of the discussion as one of the best teams in the AFC.  But offensively we just don't have the QB/Offensive Line or the coaching staff right now to have that type of success, and our offensive struggles have unfortunately been haunting this Franchise for the majority of our existence. So right now we're at a real low point, and I don't feel like there's a big gap at all between where we currently are at and the laughing stock teams of the league like the Dolphins and Redskins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

The Conte comparison is not about style of play (but his fits like a glove in Serie A), but the GRINTA he has brought that club. He might be a guy that wears out his welcome, but the job he did with Juve and the Azzurri was top notch coaching and he’s able to get the best out of mediocre players. 

I guess if we're really trying for this football to NFL parallel, best I could describe it is that Antonio Conte is for the HC position in European football what someone like Alex Smith is for the QB position in the NFL. There is some effeciency in what they do and you might see some results in there, but hardly anyone to get excited about or that would put you over the top.

Anyway, it's been fun arguing a different type of football for a while. If you are indeed an Inter fan, though, while it may be fun to finally see someone else triumph in Serie A, I personally wouldn't get my hopes up for anything bigger than that. Just my two cents, as a Chelsea fan :D

The Titans are in the proverbial wilderness. The Dolphins are a good comparison. I think it goes to show how difficult it is to build a winning franchise, because I truly believe AAS has had the best of intentions. The organization has just ultimately been unable to get out of its own way between poor draft picks (specifically wasting 4-5 years a piece on Young and Locker) and poor coaching/GM hires. Now we have finally put a decent roster together and have matched it with what appears to be a coaching staff that can't find its rear end with both hands. It's frustrating to put it kindly. 

My lack of confidence in Marcus Mariota has been no secret over the last year and a half, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see him leave and flourish elsewhere, because his talent has never been an issue. We've absolutely butchered any confidence he had along with any chance he had to succeed here. 

Long term, who tf knows? Maybe we'll finally hit on a QB and coach at the same time or maybe we'll totally bottom out in the coming years.