Browns trade C Austin Corbett to Rams for 2021 Day 3 pick

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I loved the other 3 top 4 picks the Browns had so I assumed it was probably a decent pick even though I really had no clue. I was hoping for Chubb when we took Corbett but we got him anyway so I was happy. A lot of Browns fans who scout a lot of players weren't thrilled though but 2nd round picks aren't much more than coin flips for the best scouts so who cares if you miss them from time to time.

He was projected to go late 1st early 2nd so it wasn't a reach at all.  He looked good at the senior bowl as well.   It wasn't an OMG terrible pick like some make it out to be.

On 10/16/2019 at 12:10 AM, rocky_rams said:

Is Corbett any good? Does he have potential?

He was the first pick in the 2nd round of the draft 2 years ago and he was essentially just cut off the roster if that tells you anything. The Browns tried him at multiple different positions to see if one stuck, similar to Cam Erving and he didnt do great at any of them. From watching the snaps he got in the preseason, his biggest weakness is that hes just not that smart of a blocker. He thinks too much and gets people blowing by him whenever there is a stunt or blitz pickup. 

Hes also not overly strong and lacks any sort of finishing ability against d-linemen. Hes always seemingly getting pushed backwards or whiffing on assigned blocks.

Maybe a change of scenery could do it but he just doesnt seem to play with any decisiveness or punch when he meets the defender. Almost like hes constantly just fighting to keep his head above water. I wish him the best and hope he gets a nice turnaround in LA. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sryan66611 said:

He was projected to go late 1st early 2nd so it wasn't a reach at all.  He looked good at the senior bowl as well.   It wasn't an OMG terrible pick like some make it out to be.

When Will Hernandez was on the board, it was considered a reach and a 'overthinking it' pick from the very jump. They are lucky they struck gold with the very next pick with Nick Chubb.

The next pick was Hernandez, the pick after was Darius Leonard and 3 picks later was Courtland Sutton (when the really needed a big body #1 WR pre OBJ). Any of those 3 would have been obviously better picks.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

When Will Hernandez was on the board, it was considered a reach and a 'overthinking it' pick from the very jump. They are lucky they struck gold with the very next pick with Nick Chubb.

The next pick was Hernandez, the pick after was Darius Leonard and 3 picks later was Courtland Sutton (when the really needed a big body #1 WR pre OBJ). Any of those 3 would have been obviously better picks.

Your right I didn't realize WIll Hernandez was picked after Corbett...    As for the other prospects, I dunno because im, not a browns fan and have no idea what they needed at the time.

41 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

Your right I didn't realize WIll Hernandez was picked after Corbett...    As for the other prospects, I dunno because im, not a browns fan and have no idea what they needed at the time.

They didn't need a Guard at the time at all they had Zeitler and Bitonio, they needed a OT to replace Joe Thomas. It was almost like they took Corbett as luxury pick in hopes that after a year of seasoning he could convert into a OT which obviously didn't work.

Their needs were WR since at the time there was only Landry and Higgins hadn't yet developed into the player he is now so I remember pounding the table for a OT/WR.

Can you imagine if the Browns walked away from that draft with Mayfield/Ward/Sutton/Chubb. Sheesh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

They didn't need a Guard at the time at all they had Zeitler and Bitonio, they needed a OT to replace Joe Thomas. It was almost like they took Corbett as luxury pick in hopes that after a year of seasoning he could convert into a OT which obviously didn't work.

Their needs were WR since at the time there was only Landry and Higgins hadn't yet developed into the player he is now so I remember pounding the table for a OT/WR.

Can you imagine if the Browns walked away from that draft with Mayfield/Ward/Sutton/Chubb. Sheesh

That would have been a pretty amazing haul man...    I like Sutton he is a bad ***... I don't know how people didn't see that when he was at SMU.   I thought it was pretty obvious.

1 minute ago, sryan66611 said:

That would have been a pretty amazing haul man...    I like Sutton he is a bad ***... I don't know how people didn't see that when he was at SMU.   I thought it was pretty obvious.

Suttons profile coming out of college was almost identical to Demaryius Thomas'. Big, fast, strong and playmakers but the knock on both of them was that they came from systems that almost exclusively made them deep vertical threats and a lot of scouts questioned their route running. Almost viewed them as 1 trick ponys. Sutton was pegged as a mid-late 1st rounder that slide 8 picks into the 2nd round because of it. Safe to say both players proved to not ignore talent in frames that like.

• Like 1