Jalen Ramsey traded to the Rams

Scalamania

8 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Unless they get an offer they couldn't refuse.

2 1sts and another mid rd pick for a corner that is about to command 18-20M per?

Id say that's right about there...

I think the bolded is a hugely underrated aspect of this trade.

The Jaguars aren't just getting a couple 1st round picks and a mid-rounder for Jalen...they're getting maybe $20M of future cap flexibility too.  Not that Jalen was ever re-signing in Jacksonville in the first place...but people acting like the Rams acquired a bargain deal are really only going to be right for this year.  It's just going to skyrocket from there.

8 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Something for Rams fans to be aware of:

He is no longer on talking terms with his dad who coaches him up until a couple years ago. His agent is in his head and he has a lot going on behind the scenes.

I would wish him luck but it's hard to have a good view of him right now based on social media and his attitude for me right now.

Funny how you've embraced the "Jalen is a distraction" sort of thing now.  After defending him for so long, and denying it was an issue.  But it's a legit problem.  He's got one heck of an ego on him, and absolutely craves the spotlight and attention.  Now on top of it, he's got an agent who is banking on Jalen's new deal basically buying him a private island or something...it's not something you can just ignore.

8 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Picks are 100 percent overvalued. But for a corner, to get 2 1sts+, is extraordinary.

I'll miss Ramsey the player, he was elite and a potential HOF, but he also wasn't personally taking us anywhere. 

He is an elite CB, but yeah...it's been pretty well established that DBs don't win championships...and Jalen alone isn't the guy who dragged that Jaguars team to an AFC Championship game.  That defensive front was the real superstar as a group.  Along with the rest of the secondary around Jalen being top tier as well.  As was Fournette being a horse.

8 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Extremely relieved the Eagles didn't do this. That's a STEEP price for a non QB or pass rusher. 1 CB won't change any team. Honestly really like this move for the Jags. Go Foles!

Exactly.  An elite CB is hugely valuable...but fundamentally, you don't build a championship team around one.  Especially not one who is about to run off their Rookie Deal value and command absolutely huge money.  There's just a cap on how much an individual CB can impact the game as a whole.  It's a position that has become very scheme specific, and where you can use that scheme to "hide" or "enhance" less well-rounded DBs and flatter them with strong DLine play and the right deployment to their strengths.

8 hours ago, JonStark said:

A lot of haters in this thread. Bet they'd be singing a different tune had their team traded for him.

Like a poster said before, he's 24 and the odds of finding a player like him with those two picks aren't great. I love everything about this. 

It's more than that though.  Chance any of those two 1st round picks becomes a better player than Jalen?  Slim to none.  Odds those two players combined end up with a net impact comparable to Jalen as a CB...more plausible.  You add in the fact those two 1st round picks combined are probably going to cost less than half of what Jalen does...with 5 potential years of control, and that's a pretty big value addition in this transaction.

8 hours ago, Forge said:

The only problem is that he obviously has shown that he will sit if he doesn't get what he wants.

Amen.  You've got a proven pattern here...where Jalen will abstain and make up "injuries" and dawdle around, if he doesn't get what he wants.  What in this whole fiasco makes anyone think this is a guy who is going to play on a 5th year option, or even a Franchise Tag?  He's hinted pretty clearly at the fact he's going to set an entirely new benchmark for CB pay scale, or he's not going to play.  It very well might even be beyond that sort of number, and impinging on the "highest paid defensive player" sort of territory.

5 hours ago, Ryan_W said:

Rams can still make the playoffs. as the 3rd from the West

it'll be a battle; but not as bad as it might appear

the Panthers schedule looks like it will get them murdered, the Vikes QB is as bad as Goff, just don't lose to Dallas and 10-6 could be the last WC

not the worst acquisition; though they need that O sorted out if they don't want an embarrassing early exit

Technically yes but I would think at least 2 teams out of the NFC North make it

10 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

You haven't drafted a player in the first round since 2017, and now you won't until 2022. If you don't win it all this year while Ramsey's still cheap, this could go south financially really quickly. You're going to have the highest cap hits at QB, RB, DL, WR (6th) and now CB. That limits your overall depth considerably. 

No denying you got a great player, but you're conveniently ignoring the cost benefits of having players on rookie deals.

It's a good thing that's not my job to figure out and I can just enjoy watching the best CB in the league play in a Rams uniform. It's just hilarious how people try to make acquiring a guy like this a BAD thing.

Trading a ton for Mack worked out. Trading for Cooper worked out. I'm fine with what we paid. 

6 hours ago, SBLIII said:

This is beyond stupid. Jaguars win this trade by a landslide.

The Rams just gave up 2 firsts for an inconsistent corner who take up a ton of cap while ignoring other issues. Their roster depth will be completely shot.

This is a desperate move.

When will teams learn that is about developing a deep roster and not about just acquiring superstars in the NFL? Just look at the situation that Elway has the Broncos in. New England never has the most talented team come postseason time but they always focus on filling the entire 53 with solid players.

This has the potential to be a disaster for the Rams' future. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JonStark said:

It's a good thing that's not my job to figure out and I can just enjoy watching the best CB in the league play in a Rams uniform. It's just hilarious how people try to make acquiring a guy like this a BAD thing.

Trading a ton for Mack worked out. Trading for Cooper worked out. I'm fine with what we paid. 

Yeah my point is you might not enjoy watching the Rams in the future. You missed my point because your heads too far in the sand- yes, the moves as a one off are fine. When you continually trade away picks like the Rams have done, that's when it can be very, very risky. Especially when you have a garbage OL, and the highest paid QB in the league seeing Ghosts- and I don't mean your direwolf. 

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Edited by 1ForTheThumb
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Yeah my point is you might not enjoy watching the Rams in the future. You missed my point because your heads too far in the sand- yes, the moves as a one off are fine. When you continually trade away picks like the Rams have done, that's when it can be very, very risky. Especially when you have a garbage OL, and the highest paid QB in the league seeing Ghosts- and I don't mean your direwolf. 

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Cool, I'll worry about then. Until then, we have a division to win. 

You still get a football for the GOT references though.