Jalen Ramsey traded to the Rams

Scalamania

8 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

He fit the same scheme implemented when we had a #1 defense just fine

Yeah.  This mythos that he didn't fit the Jaguars scheme is pretty much rubbish.  He was utilized plenty well, as part of an absolutely beastly defense.  It's not as though the Jaguars defense has radically shifted schematically since then either.

Sure, it may not always be what Jalen personally would want to play every snap...but that just opens a whole different can of worms.  If playing the coverage he personally wants to play is more important to him than being an important cog in a terrific overall defensive unit where he might be asked to use his flexible skillset to do other things...what does that really say about him?  If he's going to pout and half-*** snaps because he doesn't feel like playing a particular called coverage as part of the unit...what does that really say about him?

It seems like it's more, "Jalen fancies himself a coach", rather than the actual coaches just flagrantly "misusing" his skillset.  He's more than capable of excelling the way they generally used him - if he puts in the effort.  Part of what does make him such a special talent...is that versatility he brings to the table.  But versatility doesn't mean much, if the player stubbornly isn't willing to use all the tools at their disposal.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  This mythos that he didn't fit the Jaguars scheme is pretty much rubbish.  He was utilized plenty well, as part of an absolutely beastly defense.  It's not as though the Jaguars defense has radically shifted schematically since then either.

Sure, it may not always be what Jalen personally would want to play every snap...but that just opens a whole different can of worms.  If playing the coverage he personally wants to play is more important to him than being an important cog in a terrific overall defensive unit where he might be asked to use his flexible skillset to do other things...what does that really say about him?  If he's going to pout and half-*** snaps because he doesn't feel like playing a particular called coverage as part of the unit...what does that really say about him?

It seems like it's more, "Jalen fancies himself a coach", rather than the actual coaches just flagrantly "misusing" his skillset.  He's more than capable of excelling the way they generally used him - if he puts in the effort.  Part of what does make him such a special talent...is that versatility he brings to the table.  But versatility doesn't mean much, if the player stubbornly isn't willing to use all the tools at their disposal.

This is completely fair commentary but the thing is... Wade Phillips runs the exact type of scheme Ramsey wants to play 

They aren't going to ask him to do what he doesn't want to do. They are going to have him play press man... a lot 

So your entire post becomes moot, and it's why this was a savvy move for the Rams. I have no idea who they will play on the other side, and I still think you can have their safties with speed, but their defense was horrible this year and now their defense should be a lot better

No one was talking about how bad their offense was until they ran into the best defense in the NFC last week. Everyone was talking about how bad their OL was, and that Goff struggles while pressured. Not everyone will pressure him like the 49ers pressured him. 

What they are doing isn't sustainable but that's tomorrow's problems. Worry about that other stuff when it happens. Killer moves on their part but that still won't get them a home playoff game this year  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

What they are doing isn't sustainable but that's tomorrow's problems. Worry about that other stuff when it happens. Killer moves on their part but that still won't get them a home playoff game this year  

Do the Rams even play Home games in that Stadium technically? Won't matter "advantage wise" either way IMO.  

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

The Rams are not Ali... Get that nonsense outta here.

Rams might be Ricardo Spain, walked into a fight with Mike Tyson and got womped...

I think you mean Manny Pacquiao. Sure, we didn't beat Floyd Mayweather, but he's Floyd Mayweather for a reason.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N4L said:

This is completely fair commentary but the thing is... Wade Phillips runs the exact type of scheme Ramsey wants to play 

They aren't going to ask him to do what he doesn't want to do. They are going to have him play press man... a lot 

So your entire post becomes moot, and it's why this was a savvy move for the Rams. I have no idea who they will play on the other side, and I still think you can have their safties with speed, but their defense was horrible this year and now their defense should be a lot better

No one was talking about how bad their offense was until they ran into the best defense in the NFC last week. Everyone was talking about how bad their OL was, and that Goff struggles while pressured. Not everyone will pressure him like the 49ers pressured him. 

I bet NCR plays there in the rare "Base 3-4" set, and my money is on David Long playing on the perimeter the rest of the time. Best press corner in the 2019 NFL draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I think you mean Manny Pacquiao. Sure, we didn't beat Floyd Mayweather, but he's Floyd Mayweather for a reason.

Zab Judah. Very competent fighter, won a title once, but is mostly remembered for that one embarrassing loss that people remember...

Don't ever play with matches...

1 hour ago, HoboRocket said:

I bet NCR plays there in the rare "Base 3-4" set, and my money is on David Long playing on the perimeter the rest of the time. Best press corner in the 2019 NFL draft.

NRC doesn't leave the slot. It'll be Troy Hill or David Long.

20 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

That is rich and ripe with wishful thinking. :D 

I don't think he's talking about the matchup between the 49ers and the rams moving forward. I think he's talking about the fact that the offense this season hasn't been a problem, and technically, he's right. They were averaging nearly 30 points a game prior to the 49ers game. The offense wasn't really having issues. I think he takes offense to people saying that offense isn't as good as it was just because of the 49ers game. 

• Like 2