Jalen Ramsey traded to the Rams

Scalamania

I'm not really big on draft picks when it comes to elite players.  I would always take a young elite player over future draft picks.  I feel like Jacksonville got all they could get and they did a great job.  On the Rams side, I think it was a great trade.  I wouldn't have been upset if Seattle had done the same thing.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, showtime said:

I'm not really big on draft picks when it comes to elite players.  I would always take a young elite player over future draft picks.  I feel like Jacksonville got all they could get and they did a great job.  On the Rams side, I think it was a great trade.  I wouldn't have been upset if Seattle had done the same thing.

As a fan of a team that dumped a ton of picks for Larmey Tunsil, I concur.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If you go back and look at that thread, I said the same thing.  Tunsil was 100% worth what they gave up.  He's one of the best young tackles in the league.  If you keep the draft pick and draft a tackle, you will HOPE that the player you draft is as good as Tunsil. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

NRC doesn't leave the slot. It'll be Troy Hill or David Long.

Forgot where I saw it yesterday, but NRC will play opposite Ramsey on 1st/2nd down and then Troy Hill will come in on 3rd. Something similar happened last year and NRC played on the outside when Talib was out. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Forgot where I saw it yesterday, but NRC will play opposite Ramsey on 1st/2nd down and then Troy Hill will come in on 3rd. Something similar happened last year and NRC played on the outside when Talib was out. 

Maybe I'm wrong, then. But I have a hard time believing that. We played Troy Hill or Sam Shields (mainly Hill) when Talib was hurt last year.

20 minutes ago, ET80 said:

My outlook has always been that there are only 10 to 20 elite players in the NFL at a given time. If you can get a guy who is one or can be one, it's worth the price.

• Like 2

Just now, jrry32 said:

My outlook has always been that there are only 10 to 20 elite players in the NFL at a given time. If you can get a guy who is one or can be one, it's worth the price.

People freak out about picks too much. Too much risk involved, too much effort to mold them into a guy you can rely on - if you can mitigate that risk by bringing in a guy who you know can perform at a very high level from day one and can still be a long term piece of your puzzle, why wouldn't you do it?

If a #1 WR can get locked up and give Aaron Donald an extra second to get to the QB, that's a HUGE plus. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

One way I saw it phrased and which I whole heartedly agree is....Rams were likely picking #18-#25 in the 2020 NFL Draft. Would you be willing to jump up to the top 5 in the 2020 draft to get Jalen Ramsey? The cost would likely be a 2021 1st round pick and 4th round pick. I'm completely OK with that to get an Elite talent. Difference in the way this played out is that we KNOW he is Elite, but we have to pay him earlier than if we would have actually drafted him in 2020.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ET80 said:

People freak out about picks too much. Too much risk involved, too much effort to mold them into a guy you can rely on - if you can mitigate that risk by bringing in a guy who you know can perform at a very high level from day one and can still be a long term piece of your puzzle, why wouldn't you do it?

If a #1 WR can get locked up and give Aaron Donald an extra second to get to the QB, that's a HUGE plus. 

And, I mean, look at the Rams. It's not like they haven't traded picks for players before. They traded a 2nd-rounder for Marcus Peters. They traded a 2nd or 3rd for Sammy Watkins. They traded a 1st for Brandin Cooks. That's the thing - Les Snead is used to trading early picks for established young players. And for the most part, it has worked out. They flipped from the worst team in the NFL down the stretch in 2016 to a division title in 2017 and a conference title in 2018. 

Les Snead is generally money on day 2 and in the later rounds of the draft (though he did draft Brian Quick at the top of round 2 in 2012), but he's hardly had a great record in the 1st round. Yes, he got Aaron Donald, but people forget that earlier that same draft, #2 overall, he drafted Greg Robinson. He drafted defensive end Michael Brockers, who has been a solid run-stopper and a leader in the locker room, but in general, I'd call him a disappointment, considering that Brockers is like 30 and has yet to really breakout or become even an average pass rusher. He drafted Tavon Austin and Alex Ogletree in the 1st in 2013, and Austin never figured out how to play WR (unless you're counting this past week in Dallas) while Ogletree was traded away for like a 6th round pick. Greg Robinson was a massive, massive bust. You could even question the Todd Gurley pick, because there were concerns over his knees even back in the lead-up to the 2015 draft, and there's the neverending argument about RB value. I think it was a good pick, but there are definitely arguments against it, since Gurley is playing like a 32 year old and his rookie contract wouldn't even be over yet (2019 would be the 5th year). Jared Goff has been inconsistent, and yes, he has played at an elite level, but he also has played like trash. He was widely regarded as the second-best QB prospect in the 2016 draft, even within the Rams Front Office, but Les wanted him, and I'm not sure if he's better than Wentz. Anyways, his 1st-round record isn't very good, but what he has done in the past is trade away picks for Vets, and that's worked out really well.

Last year, he traded a 1st for Brandin Cooks, and he has paid dividends already. Look at how 1st-round WRs have done dating back to 2016. We have yet to see a 1st-round WR reach 1,000 yards in that span. Cooks had 1,300 yards last year as the team worked its way to SBLIII. 

I like the Jalen Ramsey trade.

• Like 1

Just for reference:

Les Snead 1st-Round Picks:

Michael Brockers

Tavon Austin

Alec Ogletree

Greg Robinson

Aaron Donald

Todd Gurley

Jared Goff

Les Snead Day 2 Draft Picks:

Brian Quick (bust)

Janoris Jenkins (pro-bowl starter)

Isaiah Pead (had a great rookie season)

Trumaine Johnson (high-end starter)

TJ McDonald (solid starting safety)

Stedman Bailey (career derailed by getting shot in the head)

LaMarcus Joyner (pro-bowl starter)

Tre Mason (also had a great rookie season)

Rob Havenstein (has been a starter since his rookie year, was great last year)

Jamon Brown (was a solid pass-blocking starter, but outplayed by Austin Blythe)

Sean Mannion (bust)

Gerald Everett (not featured enough, but we all know he's a stud)

Cooper Kupp (stud WR)

John Johnson III (one of the top safeties league-wide)

Joseph Noteboom (starter but it's early for judgement)

Taylor Rapp (looks great but only a rookie)

Darrell Henderson, Jr. (rookie)

David Long (rookie)

Bobby Evans (rookie)

24 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Just for reference:

Les Snead 1st-Round Picks:

Michael Brockers

Tavon Austin

Alec Ogletree

Greg Robinson

Aaron Donald

Todd Gurley

Jared Goff

So he's good at drafting in the first round.

Maybe Jags should have just swapped Jalen for him.

A little late to the party but I'll chime in.  I'm not sure I get this move for the Rams.  I know Talib is on IR now and he's a FA at season's end but I thought the tandem of he and Peters was just fine.

Besides that looking at the Rams cap figure for 2020 it's hard to see how they will fit in a new contract for Ramsey considering all the other high paid players they have.

Anyway I guess it's a good problem to have when you have that many high caliber players to sign...I just don't know if this move will necessarily put them over the top considering Gurley is hobbled and doesn't appear as if he will ever return to his former dominant self, and the offensive line isn't that good and now you have no 1st round pick for the next 2 years.

Ramsey is a great player but this feels like a desperation move to me. 

Edited by topwop1