Jalen Ramsey traded to the Rams

Scalamania

3 hours ago, N4L said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/richard-sherman-says-jalen-ramsey-has-all-leverage-after-rams-trade

Rams have no leverage. I expect Ramsey to get 20m aav. 5 years 100m with 80m guaranteed is my guess 

Exactly

Rams have to basically give him everything he wants, or they are out two 1sts +. Would be devastating. 

• Like 4

I have been sitting on my thoughts for a few days trying to form a solid opinion. I like the move, cause I love Ramsey, but I don't think this saves our season.

The injuries just keep piling up, the offensive line is a mess, Gurley just doesn't look the same and we just Lost Talib and JJ to IR.

Ramsey better bring some real fire to save this season, can he? Sure... Will he? Probably not.

• Like 1

Mortgaging your future for a player who hasn’t even grown into being a mature adult yet is never going to be a recommended way to get ahead in this league. Ramsey both wants to be paid and wants to win. Even after they pay him, if LA continues to regress going forward I could very easily see him try to force his way out in a couple years just like he did in Jacksonville. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

@jrry32 @Riftty @JonStark

How much of the offensive line troubles has to do with the inability to scheme the run effectively, and in doing so use the play action to slow down the rush VERSUS the actual declining play of the individuals along the line? 

I think it's a little of both, but the declining play is the bigger factor. We haven't used play action near as much as we did last year, but it's probably because the new guys on the line are getting beat so quick that if they don't get faked out, Goff will get lit up.  Brian Allen is really, really bad at playing center.

That being said, Mcvay needs to do a better job at balancing the pass/run ratio. Last week, the entire first drive was rushing plays and they looked great. He should've then used some play actions and passing on first down to keep them guessing, but he continued to do the same thing. Goff only had 9 pass attempts over halfway through the 3rd quarter, two weeks after dropping back 70 times. 

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

@jrry32 @Riftty @JonStark

How much of the offensive line troubles has to do with the inability to scheme the run effectively, and in doing so use the play action to slow down the rush VERSUS the actual declining play of the individuals along the line? 

It's a perfect storm of losing Saffold to FA, our center play being atrocious and a rapidly declining Whitworth.

Not to mention Gurley's ability to explode through the holes he is given just isn't there anymore. 

Combine those two things with Mcvay abandoning the run the second we have a few bad drives and you have the current state of the Rams.

28 minutes ago, Riftty said:

It's a perfect storm of losing Saffold to FA, our center play being atrocious and a rapidly declining Whitworth.

Not to mention Gurley's ability to explode through the holes he is given just isn't there anymore. 

Combine those two things with Mcvay abandoning the run the second we have a few bad drives and you have the current state of the Rams.

You forgot the part where Havenstein forgot how to play right tackle 

Edited by rocky_rams

3 hours ago, JonStark said:

I think it's a little of both, but the declining play is the bigger factor. We haven't used play action near as much as we did last year, but it's probably because the new guys on the line are getting beat so quick that if they don't get faked out, Goff will get lit up.  Brian Allen is really, really bad at playing center.

That being said, Mcvay needs to do a better job at balancing the pass/run ratio. Last week, the entire first drive was rushing plays and they looked great. He should've then used some play actions and passing on first down to keep them guessing, but he continued to do the same thing. Goff only had 9 pass attempts over halfway through the 3rd quarter, two weeks after dropping back 70 times. 

Ha. Payton 2.0. He's gotten better the last 2-3 years as Brees has declined some, but man it was frustrating at times.

Run is working great.....let's pass 15 times in a row!  or  Let's pass 15 times in a row and not run at all. O.o

Mark from Richmond, VA

Seemed kinda weird when linebacker Myles Jack and cornerback A.J. Bouye were being interviewed Thursday. They were trying to be all PC when answering questions about the trade, but you could hear screaming from other players, then Jack would have a smirk. Man, I would love to know the real vibe in the locker room. Do you really think our guys feel like 20 quit on them? Or are they like “Go get your money any way you can?” To some degree I think that some players might not like what he did but would never say it. It’s all about the money, though, right? I don’t know what to think anymore but I’m juuuuuuust about ready to move on.

Oehser: I’ve told readers the real vibe about this, but I will again: Players support players when they’re seeking better contracts, and they always publicly support offseason actions toward that end. They also will support teammates if those disputes extend into the season. But once the season is underway and once a player is committed to that season, then there becomes an element of, “We’re in this together and fighting for one goal.” When Ramsey requested an in-season trade following an incident in which he perceived himself to be disrespected, that went outside doing what a player must do for his family or for his financial security. That was much more about “I didn’t get treated the way I wanted to, and I didn’t like getting yelled at by somebody.” To want off the team based on that seemed to cause the locker room to lose patience with the situation. Players wanted Ramsey on the Jaguars. They know he made them better. They didn’t dislike Ramsey. But after years of being around him, they also knew what he was about and knew he approached things about Ramsey first and team second. That’s why there never was locker-room division over his situation. It got to the point by the end of the Ramsey saga that there was a collective eyeroll and a weariness with the act. Again: they didn’t hate it. It didn’t cause division. It just was what it was. They would have preferred him to stay because of his talent, but it wasn’t if they lost a leader or someone core to the fiber of the locker room. They lost a great player, but not necessarily a great teammate or friend.

4 hours ago, Riftty said:

The OL is a sum of its parts. I think Whitworth is the same player he was last year. If he has declined, it's not significant. He hasn't been a guy who blanks great pass rushes for years. They win a couple battles throughout the game. But in past years, those plays were less likely to blow up on us because the rest of the OL was sound. Whitworth is still a phenomenal blocker in space and wins the vast majority of plays. The problem is that Havenstein has played terribly and the new guys haven't gelled well. Blythe will generally play at the level of the guys around him, so his play has fallen off too due to Allen and Hav. I still hope that we find a group that can gel and play well. It might well be the group of Whit-Edwards-Corbett-Blythe-Hav. We'll see. Allen needs to step his game up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Mark from Richmond, VA

Seemed kinda weird when linebacker Myles Jack and cornerback A.J. Bouye were being interviewed Thursday. They were trying to be all PC when answering questions about the trade, but you could hear screaming from other players, then Jack would have a smirk. Man, I would love to know the real vibe in the locker room. Do you really think our guys feel like 20 quit on them? Or are they like “Go get your money any way you can?” To some degree I think that some players might not like what he did but would never say it. It’s all about the money, though, right? I don’t know what to think anymore but I’m juuuuuuust about ready to move on.

Oehser: I’ve told readers the real vibe about this, but I will again: Players support players when they’re seeking better contracts, and they always publicly support offseason actions toward that end. They also will support teammates if those disputes extend into the season. But once the season is underway and once a player is committed to that season, then there becomes an element of, “We’re in this together and fighting for one goal.” When Ramsey requested an in-season trade following an incident in which he perceived himself to be disrespected, that went outside doing what a player must do for his family or for his financial security. That was much more about “I didn’t get treated the way I wanted to, and I didn’t like getting yelled at by somebody.” To want off the team based on that seemed to cause the locker room to lose patience with the situation. Players wanted Ramsey on the Jaguars. They know he made them better. They didn’t dislike Ramsey. But after years of being around him, they also knew what he was about and knew he approached things about Ramsey first and team second. That’s why there never was locker-room division over his situation. It got to the point by the end of the Ramsey saga that there was a collective eyeroll and a weariness with the act. Again: they didn’t hate it. It didn’t cause division. It just was what it was. They would have preferred him to stay because of his talent, but it wasn’t if they lost a leader or someone core to the fiber of the locker room. They lost a great player, but not necessarily a great teammate or friend.

Gosh, pretty damning stuff, there! I wonder how the In Context believers- they who have defended Ramsey desperately as being a misunderstood innocent abused by a villainous front office- would answer that?

-And I would tend to believe the players and the writers close to the team, over the opinions of fans watching the games on television and following a team on an internet forum.

"Keep buying into the lack of context. There's a reason not a single Jaguars fan on here is saying Jalen has been a problem, despite every one of us knowing he's going to be gone.

But I'm sure you reading that little glimpse of the timeline told you everything you needed to know and he's actually the bad guy in spite of what everyone who has watched him for years is saying. Every single Jaguars fan in here has reason to take the franchise's side over Jalen's, knowing Jalen is going to be gone. And yet they're not doing it the way Pittsburgh fans did with Bell and AB, or Raiders fans did with AB (and even a few did with Mack), or any other public break up across the league. Why do you think that is?"

Edited by bzane

On 10/18/2019 at 7:09 AM, JonStark said:

This x1000.

Everyone is preaching that we should've went after OL, but not one person is giving actual options. The Redskins (and Browns) have repeatedly said that Trent Williams won't be traded. Name me another available OL that would make a bigger impact than Ramsey.

Yea the NFL just isn't like the MLB. Bad teams in the NFL hold on to everything valuable, not like you can just go out there and trade for an OL/pass rusher/QB like they grow on trees. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bzane said:

Gosh, pretty damning stuff, there! I wonder how the In Context believers- they who have defended Ramsey desperately as being a misunderstood innocent abused by a villainous front office- would answer that?

-And I would tend to believe the players and the writers close to the team, over the opinions of fans watching the games on television and following a team on an internet forum.

"Keep buying into the lack of context. There's a reason not a single Jaguars fan on here is saying Jalen has been a problem, despite every one of us knowing he's going to be gone.

But I'm sure you reading that little glimpse of the timeline told you everything you needed to know and he's actually the bad guy in spite of what everyone who has watched him for years is saying. Every single Jaguars fan in here has reason to take the franchise's side over Jalen's, knowing Jalen is going to be gone. And yet they're not doing it the way Pittsburgh fans did with Bell and AB, or Raiders fans did with AB (and even a few did with Mack), or any other public break up across the league. Why do you think that is?"

Because Jaguars. Kind of comes with the territory of playing for a smaller team. I think we all kind of thought he wouldn't be here long term. He helped take us the farthest we have been in a long time and if not for some stupid play calling and a bad call on the fumble maybe he actually stays because we could have been a champion. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I think Whitworth is the same player he was last year. If he has declined, it's not significant.

I thought he did a nice job on bosa. He lost a few battles, but I thought overall bosa was less if an issue for the Rams than he had been against other teams. 

Dee Ford was a much bigger issue for that line

• Like 1