Jalen Ramsey to Rams!

RamPackFan

11 minutes ago, pwny said:

He’s the best corner in football. Full stop. Lockdown man corner, and in my opinion, he’s the best Corner since Revis. There’s occasions that he’s not a great tackler, but it’s not a major issue.

Fans always turn on disgruntled players, because it’s easier to hate a guy who is upset than to admit your franchise is run like a clown show top to bottom. Jalen isn’t the only one in that locker room that feels like he does (and I know this for a fact), it’s just that he’s the only player that’s both outspoken enough to say something and has the talent to make his grievances known without the diva tag ruining his stock in the league. Dante Fowler had the same exact grievance with the front office, and Allen Robinson admitted that same reason is why he didn’t stay with the Jags, even though he was offered the same deal he took with the Bears. Over the last few weeks, Telvin Smith has posted a bunch of stuff on social media that all but said that he decided to not play this year for the same reason. I’m not going to throw any players under the bus by naming them, but I have heard from someone connected to the team that several other players on the team feel the same way too. I posted in the thread in News a bunch of other players that have had major issues with the team over the last two years as well. The Jaguars are a clown show, and Jalen wanted out. His behavior to put pressure on the team was a bunch of mundane stuff, but it got people big time mad.

I should note that there’s a rumor floating around that he knocked out his girlfriend. It’s been floated by someone who has a connection within the team - who claims to have known about it for a while but only mentioned it the night after Jalen asked to be traded. The person has been right about a good number of things happening, but has also been wildly wrong about some of his claims, and the timing is extremely suspect. Take from that what you will.

Hope the last part is not true because that’s disgusting. Thanks for the rest. Hopefully he balls out. We had hopes peters could be that. 

58 minutes ago, pwny said:

He’s the best corner in football. Full stop. Lockdown man corner, and in my opinion, he’s the best Corner since Revis. There’s occasions that he’s not a great tackler, but it’s not a major issue.

Fans always turn on disgruntled players, because it’s easier to hate a guy who is upset than to admit your franchise is run like a clown show top to bottom. Jalen isn’t the only one in that locker room that feels like he does (and I know this for a fact), it’s just that he’s the only player that’s both outspoken enough to say something and has the talent to make his grievances known without the diva tag ruining his stock in the league. Dante Fowler had the same exact grievance with the front office, and Allen Robinson admitted that same reason is why he didn’t stay with the Jags, even though he was offered the same deal he took with the Bears. Over the last few weeks, Telvin Smith has posted a bunch of stuff on social media that all but said that he decided to not play this year for the same reason. I’m not going to throw any players under the bus by naming them, but I have heard from someone connected to the team that several other players on the team feel the same way too. I posted in the thread in News a bunch of other players that have had major issues with the team over the last two years as well. The Jaguars are a clown show, and Jalen wanted out. His behavior to put pressure on the team was a bunch of mundane stuff, but it got people big time mad.

I should note that there’s a rumor floating around that he knocked out his girlfriend. It’s been floated by someone who has a connection within the team - who claims to have known about it for a while but only mentioned it the night after Jalen asked to be traded. The person has been right about a good number of things happening, but has also been wildly wrong about some of his claims, and the timing is extremely suspect. Take from that what you will.

I wonder if that's wanting to protect himself until he gets paid. Dude was a LB/S hybrid his first couple years in college. He could definitely hit and tackle back then. But I agree. He's arguably the best in the NFL, and he's the man corner we needed. Wade clearly wants to get away from the zone-heavy scheme that Peters forced him to run.

Here's his quote on Goff from that GQ interview last year, FWIW:

"Jared Goff, he's average to above average. He reminds me of Jimmy Garoppolo a little bit. Year one, he wasn't good. He wasn't even good enough to earn his own starting role. Like, if you the number one pick, you expected to start now. Period. He wasn't ready to do that. He wasn't able to do that. Then when he did get in, he didn't really do that good. But in his second year, they got a new offensive coordinator. Your offensive coordinator is just your brainiac. When we played them, it felt like his offensive coordinator was drawing up perfect plays and then he was hitting the open man. For what his team ask him to do, yeah, he's good."

• Like 2

Congrats on getting an elite level CB and quite possibly the best in the game. Didnt want to do it but he wasnt happy here and we got a good return rather than wait 2 years for a comp pick. I do really hope he is done with the antics. I am very curious how the extension will work with such high dollar guys already on the books but i do think it’s possible without crippling the team like most people seem to think

• Like 3

Wanted to sit on this a day before I commented my thoughts on this specific trade.

Argument 1: "Oh you won't have a first round pick in 5 years".

Oh, well those have just turned in to Goff, Cooks, Ramsey, Taylor Rapp and David Long. 3 Pro Bowlers and 2 prospects, all here for a while (save for Ramsey, 2 years for now). I'll take proven players >>> projects all day.

Argument 2: The cap.

It's like people don't think they have a plan? They offered the same deal the Bears did for Mack last year but our picks were going to be too low. The idea was sign, play a season, trade and recoup the picks with minimal cap damage. How is this any different? They'll make aggressive trades for cap relief.

We were 20th is Pass DVOA. We needed help. We saved ourselves from forcing into a Peters extension while our best man corner went down. I'm convinced Peters held us back from playing man. Man is how you beat good teams. Look at what Mahomes said last week. Ramsey is signed for this and next year. We just got the best man corner in the game, who did not hold out until he got face to face with his coach. This is a great trade to win now.

Now as for other trades. I see people complaining and wanting Williams instead. That's fine. We do need OL help. But I think they are all too sure that people are willing to move along the line. What if Whitworth doesn't want to play guard or RT? Switching to righty, when all you've worked is lefty is not as easy as you think. Now, if he says he is willing to move, I would not complain getting Williams.

So here we go again, it seems like i'm the only one here to hate this move...

What's the point to trade all these pick for Ramsey if we don't have any chance to go to the PO ? 

Our defense is not the biggest issue right now. Offense is and  i don't think the C from the Browns is enough to fix that issue. 

But once again, we will pay Ramsey a big chunk of money and his performance will fall down. Of all big contract we have offer, only Donald play at the level of his contract. 

Having Ramsey is nice but it won't change anything in offense. I would have prefered rebuilding the depht with the draft instead of using these pick for one player.

23 minutes ago, Flounch said:

What's the point to trade all these pick for Ramsey if we don't have any chance to go to the PO ? 

Our defense is not the biggest issue right now. Offense is and  i don't think the C from the Browns is enough to fix that issue. 

But once again, we will pay Ramsey a big chunk of money and his performance will fall down. Of all big contract we have offer, only Donald play at the level of his contract. 

Having Ramsey is nice but it won't change anything in offense. I would have prefered rebuilding the depht with the draft instead of using these pick for one player.

We really only spent a first round pick to get him. A first covers getting Jalen Ramsey and the 4th we spent was covered by the 5th we got back from the ravens for Peters. It's not so bad.

37 minutes ago, Flounch said:

Looking at this trade as right now and only right now is not the way to do this.

1. Who said we have no shot at the playoffs? The Niners are a good team with the best front in the league. We put up points vs Bucs. Gave up 48. We should have beat the Hawks. Gave up 30. Scored first drive vs Niners, and should have QB sneaked from the 1. OL is not great, but we did need corner help. Bottom line is we got better as a team yesterday through the trades.

2. Who said we were paying him? Like I said above, we went through this with Khalil Mack. Who is to say we don't sign and flip him? Wait and see.

and his performance will fall down

this is just you being Eeyore.

3. You'd rather have 2 complete risks taking at around 20-30 instead of a proven All Pro player and the best man corner in the league? That's on you. The way people overvalue draft picks is insane.

Edited by btfd16
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, btfd16 said:

3. You'd rather have 2 complete risks taking at around 20-30 instead of a proven All Pro player and the best man corner in the league? That's on you. The way people overvalue draft picks is insane.

No i would rather trade for a player that make sense and that upgrade our need. 

2 first round and 4th are too much for a corner even if he's the top 5 CB. I would rather trade these pick for a top 5 OL than a top 5 CB. 

THe impact of Ramsey will not be significant while a top OL would have been a real upgrade on this team. 

But again, enjoy Ramsey if you want, 'im eager to see most of you changing their opinion on this trade in a few weeks.  

Having a top CB is a luxury you can afford when you already have all the piece in place to win a championship. It's not our case right now. 

27 minutes ago, Flounch said:

No i would rather trade for a player that make sense and that upgrade our need

2 first round and 4th are too much for a corner even if he's the top 5 CB. I would rather trade these pick for a top 5 OL than a top 5 CB. 

THe impact of Ramsey will not be significant while a top OL would have been a real upgrade on this team. 

But again, enjoy Ramsey if you want, 'im eager to see most of you changing their opinion on this trade in a few weeks.  

Having a top CB is a luxury you can afford when you already have all the piece in place to win a championship. It's not our case right now. 

We are 20th in Passing DVOA. Talib went down. Johnson went down. Peters can't play man. The secondary is a need. How do you not see that?

Who are you going to trade for top 5 on the OL? You can't just magically trade for Trent Williams and expect Whitworth to be a guard or switch his entire job to a RT? I'm curious what top 5 OL you would trade for without knowing the inner workings of the team or Whitworth's thoughts?

1 hour ago, Flounch said:

No i would rather trade for a player that make sense and that upgrade our need. 

Who is the top OL that is available? The Browns reportedly are trading a first and their stud young TE (former first round pick) for Williams. That means we would have had to outbid them. I'm not giving up Ramsey compensation for a 31 year old player. Also, a top CB is not a luxury. Great teams build around elite players. They replace the guys who aren't elite. Ramsey is an elite player. An elite player is never a luxury. And that's especially true with Wade clearly wanting to go back to a M2M defense. Do you remember the assets that Denver put in the CB position during Wade's time there?

3 hours ago, Flounch said:

Corbett may or may not be enough. But who were the other options? Trent Williams certainly wasn't a good option. Outside of Trent, who should we have traded for instead of Ramsey? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Corbett may or may not be enough. But who were the other options? Trent Williams certainly wasn't a good option. Outside of Trent, who should we have traded for instead of Ramsey? 

Well obviously we could have traded two first rounders to get (enter stud LT who no team would ever trade save for the Dolphins in tank mode) :D

• Like 2