Artificial Intelligence in the NFL - It's coming

Gmen

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

$75000? What a joke. The winner should get millions 

That’s the beauty of crowdsourcing. You’ll get hundreds of brilliant researchers working on your problem, for much less than it would cost to employ one researcher for a year. But the prize money is still tantalizing to poor graduate students all around the world, so they’ll compete for it. Not to mention it would look great on your resume. 

17 hours ago, Gmen said:

That’s the beauty of crowdsourcing. You’ll get hundreds of brilliant researchers working on your problem, for much less than it would cost to employ one researcher for a year. But the prize money is still tantalizing to poor graduate students all around the world, so they’ll compete for it. Not to mention it would look great on your resume. 

i hate to be That Guy but imho i reckon @sammymvpknight really hit the nail on the head... i wouldn’t call that the beauty of crowdsourcing, i’d call that a system that tech broverlords have set up to milk student labour and give the workers a vastly unfair portion of the surplus they create with the guise of “resume building”, making it out as if, actually, us getting your surplus for no reward to you is good

more on the topic, again hate to be That Guy, but while a lot of the suggestions in the OP are on the surface really fun sounding i don’t like them... one of my favourite parts of any sport, especially nfl, is that even though it’s the greatest form of twelve dimensional chess on grass, it is still open to that folly and human error

and

for me that’s one of the best things of sports, that it’s the human domain and it’s susceptible to the limits of human hubris and decision making... it’s great to see the colts run a swinging gate, or watch as big ben hoicks it in to triple coverage and then throws a hissy at a receiver... watching belichick do belichick things to hold the greatest show by surf to three in the super bowl, or seeing as marcus williams takes bad angles and diggs! sideline! touchdown!

all of those things go out the window with AI calling plays or calling shots, and it’s just watching a set of thirty two incarnations of the pats offense, all efficiency and without any of that element of humanity, insanity, and all the madcap things that make football such a good time

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 9:00 PM, TheGame316 said:

I kinda miss the days of just turning on a game at 1:00 on Sunday and it being over at 4:00. Watching Sportscenter at 11pm to catch up on the sports news and moving through the rest of the week without missing anything

You can still do that. You just have to deal with in-game advertisements from Cris Collinsworth on the football analytics site he owns.