Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

14 hours ago, beekay414 said:

So it's either lose to Minnesota b2b years or get boat raced in Indy. Which will it be, boys (and pugger)?

If the defense keeps playing like it has been lately we won't be Indy this year.  :/   Even if MN wins the West they aren't gonna beat OS in Indy either.

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

50% agreed. Joel was at least a Greek god in the looks department. Coan looks like a special ed version of Derek Carr. 

Yes, Coan does look like Carr!   Joel was pretty good looking, big and tall like they want QBs to be but he never made a NFL regular roster and is a FA today.  Coan might be good enough to be a back up at the next level.  I doubt he gets drafted, tho.

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Words can’t describe how much I’m excited for this Steelers game.

*Insert Mason Rudolph is a racist prove me wrong guy with a stand meme*

Browns fans smacking a Mason Rudolph pinata with a helmet is legitimately hilarious.

Long term though, I like the duck guy for the Steelers more than Rudolph. Not because I think he's better, I just think we're all safer when Big Ben is surrounded by a guy who knows how to use a whistle.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Browns fans smacking a Mason Rudolph pinata with a helmet is legitimately hilarious.

Long term though, I like the duck guy for the Steelers more than Rudolph. Not because I think he's better, I just think we're all safer when Big Ben is surrounded by a guy who knows how to use a whistle.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

On 8/6/2019 at 10:35 AM, Ozzy said:
Not sure why I keep getting referenced in these threads.  So here is a quick breakdown of the two rosters and PS I could do this for many college football programs currently, so is nice to have a little perspective unlike some.

It was an amazing finish last year that was completely not expected for Minnesota especially after the awful start.  Go from losing at home on Senior day to Northwestern and losing because they were outmatched physically and in terms of toughness in the cold weather.  On the verge of being 5-7 and not going to a bowl game.  Then they go ahead and win at Wisconsin which has not been done since 1994 and first time beating Wisconsin in general since 2003.

Obviously D coordinator was fired after being destroyed by Illinois was a turning point.  Illinois was one of many teams that just dominated them and ran all over the place.  Maryland, Iowa, Nebraska etc.  Chris Williamson starts to play more as a LB/S and that helps, and the run game just takes over offensively and they can run down the clock and keep the defense fresh also.  I would say right now Daniel Faalele is the most talented true SOPH OL prospect in the country.  He was wildy impressive last year and will only get better, kid moves people and is a great athlete for being such a mountain of a man.  He alone will change the culture of the team because you can build around him and run behind him all game long and get production.

Sure Wisconsin has Mertz who is a hyped QB prospect but will see how great he actually is.  And hard to not be better than what they have had in the past though but will have to wait and see just how good Mertz is.  Is the most hyped QB that school has ever had arguably, see if he can live up to it.  And no Russell Wilson does not count because he was not recruited there out of high school and just transferred in, but many claim him as their own when really he was a awesome player before he got to Wisconsin, just helped being with a team who could run the ball and play D in terms of getting more wins. They lose four starting offensive lineman from last year, one had to retire which was too bad and the rest were drafted in the NFL.  Note none 1st round picks which I thought would never happen honestly despite the hype some gave them early on and honestly they did disappoint as a group last year.  Biadasz is a great center and arguably top 20 pick in the 1st round next year but outside of him there is a lot to be desired and will see who can develop.  They have a strong WR core with Davis, Pryor, Taylor and Cephus coming back, not to mention a potential star TE in Ferguson.  Taylor obviously as well running the ball and Groshek along with Shaw and others, will see if they run Taylor and his career into the ground with over use but the guy has a chance to put up another 2000 yard season no question.  So offensively they should be pretty good and better than last year if the OL can hold up and the new guys do well.  Defensively is a huge step back though, last year they could barely get pressure on the edgres compared to the years before and now they do not have Edwards in the middle or Connelly or Van Ginkel who was one of the few who could get after the QB.  Do not have Sagapolu in the middle either but do have Loudermilk and Hennigsen on the DL.   Orr is ok at ILB but will have to take a huge step forward and Baun is nothing to be scared of on the outside.  How they will get pressure, will see because last year that LB core was down big time in terms of edge rushers compared to the few years before.  Not to mention the corners are pretty weak as well and Nelson is really the only decent player in that secondary but that could change.  

Gophers have a platoon of RBs that is arguably deeper than Wisconsin in terms of total bodies with experience, they have Ibrahim, Smith, Brooks, Williams and could even put Seth Green in that mix as a wild cat QB.  If Smith and Brooks can stay healthy they will really be hard to handle with in terms of depth and fresh legs.  At WR they are very solid with Tyler Johnson who is better than any WR on Wisconsin hands down.  Bateman is super talented and came on very strong as a FR and should be even better this year and Autman-Bell can make some plays as can Douglas.  If they can find a TE they will be even more dangerous.  Clearly have improved their ability to pass the ball with that new system in, they are more natural at doing it and QB might be the only real question.  Annexstad who is a better leader is out for awhile and Morgan did good enough last year but nothing amazing, still has room to grow.  On the OL again Faalele is one of the best in the conference potentially and if Dunlap can play well at OG and Olson handle the center spot they could be good again and better than last year.  Defensively they got Coughlin who is better as a pass rusher than anyone on Wisconsin.  Thomas Barber is strong up the middle but they will miss Cashman and Huff big time up the middle.  Winfield will be back at safety so that will help a ton especially if he can stay on the field healthy.  T. Smith at corner showed flashes as a freshman I thought.  Howden showed some ability as well and K. Thomas showed some ability at times as did some other DBs.  And on the grand transfer front they got Benjamin St- Juste a very talented long DB from Michigan who has a lot of upside I feel.  And they apparently have Austin Winfield who is the son of Antoine and brother of Antoine Winfield Jr so he might be a player also.  If they can get some DLs to show up and play well that would greatly help the group and make them much more complete as a unit. Mafe could be one of those guys same with DeLattiboudere and they need a DT to develop and they have some who might.    

Wisconsin has to play Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State.  The Gophers have to play none of them and just that alone makes their schedule way easier and seeing them have a better record than the Badgers overall is not hard to believe.  PJ Fleck I was not a huge fan coming in and he was really in question the first part of the season in the Big Ten, but hard to not like the results of his team late in the season last year.  Made some historic performances in terms of Gophers football.  Pathetically it should not be historic beating a Wisconsin team that had a so so defense and a QB who throws INTs and were honestly not all that motivated for the game but it has been so long it was a huge accomplishment for his program and culture.  Will see if he can build off that momentum or not.  Two years ago all the good players were not players he brought in, but last year recruits he brought in with his staff played extremely well and were very key parts of the team and starters.  So he can recruit if those guys are any indication and is getting more and more talent into the program.  If that can keep that defensive momentum going again with the easy schedule they have this year they could do quite well.  

Recruiting the 2018 class on Minnesota totally dominated compared to the 2018 Wisconsin class, granted some guys could develop more for them but out the gate the Gophers have multiple starters from just that class.  The 2019 class is more hyped for Wisconsin with some good OL and QB talent of course who are highly ranked, will see if they can be that good on the field.  Logan Brown is what the highest rated OL they have got since Josh Oglesby being a 5 star recruit.  Great get for them and my guess is Brown starts right away and is a big reason why he went there being able to play right away I think.  Obviously Mertz is the highest rated QB they have ever got also but they better be great on offense because of that D potentially dropping down.  Last year Minnesota had 113 players and 60 of them were either freshman or RS FR, 53.1% the highest in the country.  So one would assume improvement off those freshman players as well.  So to say the Gophers are not trending upward well they are, will see if that can continue or not and who can recruit and develop better players over the next 3-5 years or so.

Here’s a good post to bump up mwhahahahha.

Just reliving the glory days of page 125-130.

Edited by candyman93