Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

5 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'd post this in the general recruiting thread but Herm Edwards dropped Marcus Mbow and Garrette Gillette. So if any of you were worried about Arizona State continuing to poach our walk on pool, yeah that ain't happening any more. Ask Gary Andersen what happens to your recruiting when the HS coaches don't respect you.

Wow, that's brutal. It's kinda bull**** that coaches can just drop kids after offering them scholarships but kids are locked into NLI's the moment they sign them. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Wow, that's brutal. It's kinda bull**** that coaches can just drop kids after offering them scholarships but kids are locked into NLI's the moment they sign them. 

For the record, absolute complete and total **** move on the part of Herm Edwards. I just posted it here because our walk on pipeline has been raided by Sparty, Iowa, Directional Michigan, NIU, and now ASU was moving in too. But yeah not anymore.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Glad you guys are playing tonight and not tomorrow. Get to watch to see if you actually have a QB now which, IMO, has been your Achilles' heel for quite some time.

It's been poor secondary play, especially at CB more than it's been QB play tbh. If you want to watch Wisconsin and start to wonder when you should be worried (the answer is never, but, hypothetically), it's when we're able to consistently recruit fringe 4* CBs.

You can scheme around a bad QB. It hurts, but you can. And we built a program that's really good at it. You can also kind of scheme around having 1 bad CB. Put your good one on an island with the best WR, and give the bad guy some safety help. But most years, we have zero shutdown corners and on defense if you have 2 guys at CB that aren't good enough there's nothing you can do, it's just hail marys kicking you in the nuts until the game is over.

57 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's been poor secondary play, especially at CB more than it's been QB play tbh. If you want to watch Wisconsin and start to wonder when you should be worried (the answer is never, but, hypothetically), it's when we're able to consistently recruit fringe 4* CBs.

You can scheme around a bad QB. It hurts, but you can. And we built a program that's really good at it. You can also kind of scheme around having 1 bad CB. Put your good one on an island with the best WR, and give the bad guy some safety help. But most years, we have zero shutdown corners and on defense if you have 2 guys at CB that aren't good enough there's nothing you can do, it's just hail marys kicking you in the nuts until the game is over.

I always worry about you guys when we play but I've always had faith in our defense to be able to stop your CBs. Your line play is usually stellar and if you can hold your own there, the other stuff will fall into place at times. I remember '18 just being very poor, offensively. No denying that CB is an issue though. I'm not trying to gloat by any means but w/ the WRs that OSU is getting, especially right now, you're absolutely right that quality CB play is a must. I tend to value the CB position a little less than most people though, at least in the NFL. 

Our CB composite ratings the last decade...

Darius Hillary (.8416) - mid 3*
Devin Gaulden (.8166) - low 3*
Terrance Floyd (.8033) - low 3* 

Hugs Etienne (.8373) - mid-to-low 3*
Reggie Mitchell (.8144) - low 3*

Sojourn Shelton (.8671) - mid-to-high 3*
Keelon Brookins (.8523) - mid 3*
Jakarrie Washington (.8020) - low 3*
TJ Reynard (.7800) - high 2*

Derrick Tindal (.8214) - low 3*

None

Dontye Carriere-Williams (.8450) - mid 3*
Caesar Williams (.8213) - low 3*
Deron Harrell (.8000) - low 3*

Madison Cone (.8333) - mid-to-low 3* (moved to safety)
Faion Hicks (.8258) - low 3*

Travian Blaylock (.8721) - high 3* (moved to safety)
Donte Burton (.8710) - high 3*
Rachad Wildgoose (.8574) - mid 3* (moved from safety to CB)
Alexander Smith (.8423) - mid 3*

Semar Melvin (.8674) - mid-to-high 3*
Dean Engram (.8580) - mid 3*
James Williams (.8479) - mid 3*

Max Lofy (.8526) - mid 3*

At least we're making progress? lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I unironically think you can pretty much show Wisconsin's progress as a program over the past decade with our recruiting rankings at skill positions and QB, so yes.

Still gotta work on WR though lol. It's the one position that's dragging behind the others.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That's more to do with Leonard than anything else. And who knows how long we'll have him.

Paul Chryst is only 54 so I'm not sure a "coach-in-waiting" type thing will work for Leonhard, considering he's going to be HIGHLY sought after by both collegiate and NFL teams. You just hope he flat out loves Madison and doesn't want to leave. Keep paying him. Sack up and make him the highest paid coordinator in football so he doesn't leave.

Looked at WR. We've done okay recruiting wise, we've just been terrible at developing them, I guess. Definitely a better list of HS prospects than CB was. Just a lot more disappointments. We just haven't gotten a good one since Danny Davis. 

Edited by beekay414

These are our recruits at WR since getting Davis and Pryor in 2017...

Aron Cruickshank (.8784) - more of a gadget guy than a true WR (transferred to Rutgers)
Taj Mustapha (.8614)
AJ Abbott (.8581)
Isaac Guerendo (.8580) - moved to RB

Stephan Bracey (.8481)

Chimere Dike (.8727)
Isaac Smith (.8456)
Devin Chandler (.8316)

Skyler Bell (.8540)

Still early on all these guys but none of them being able to beat out Adam Krumholz or Jack Dunn yet doesn't seem promising.

Edited by beekay414

Our WR room next year is going to be totally unproven.

Scholarship
AJ Abbott (rJr.)
Skylar Bell (Fr.)
Stephan Bracey (rSo.)
Devin Chandler (rFr. or So.)
Chimere Dike (rFr. or So.)
Taj Mustapha (rJr.)
Isaac Smith (rFr. or So.)

Walk-on
Haakon Anderson (rFr. or So.)
Jordan DiBenedetto (rSo. or Jr.)
Mike Gregoire (rSo. or Jr.)