Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

Nothing good ever happens in Evanston. Unbelievable how poorly reffed these games always seem to be. That being said we just got dominated offensively. Mertz looked like a freshman, and loss of our weapons pretty much killed our pass attack. We don't have the talent to be a 1 dimensional run attack. Ugly, ugly game on offense. Bad execution, bad playcalling, bad everything. Only positive is the D holding them to 17 despite 5 TOs and 1 TD drive gift wrapped to NW from the refs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Sure, but there's absolutely nothing there to say he's a sure bet to make the jump from DC to HC and be better than Chryst. 

Also you're at square one with the offense too as he's got nothing there. 

I'd rather be at square one again, with someone that shows potential in the ability to make adjustments, than stuck with a lame duck who, when thrown off script, has no idea wtf do to. Listen, it's a repetitive issue with PC. I'm consistent with bitching about coaches like that. I've done it with Mac, DC and Pettine and I've done it with Kidd and Budenholzer. I have an issue with coaches that can't or just won't adjust. Watching the same issues happen every time we're in a dog fight, grows old. Watching Pat Fitzgerald, with lesser talent, continually take PC's cookies gets old.

11 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'd rather be at square one again, with someone that shows potential in the ability to make adjustments, than stuck with a lame duck who, when thrown off script, has no idea wtf do to. Listen, it's a repetitive issue with PC. I'm consistent with bitching about coaches like that. I've done it with Mac, DC and Pettine and I've done it with Kidd and Budenholzer. I have an issue with coaches that can't or just won't adjust. Watching the same issues happen every time we're in a dog fight, grows old. Watching Pat Fitzgerald, with lesser talent, continually take PC's cookies gets old.

Any OC that's got potential is going to be fast-tracked ala Aranda. UW doesn't pay enough to keep them from taking a higher paying lateral job or trying their hand as HC of a lesser school, and I feel like OCs get poached much quicker than DCs in today's game.

If the players on the field don't turn the ball over 5 times and the refs show some ability to do their job, we still probably win. I'm just content with Chryst, he is what he is sometimes but he wants to be here and he recruits and coaches in a way that builds a program that sustains success. 

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Any OC that's got potential is going to be fast-tracked ala Aranda. UW doesn't pay enough to keep them from taking a higher paying lateral job or trying their hand as HC of a lesser school, and I feel like OCs get poached much quicker than DCs in today's game.

If the players on the field don't turn the ball over 5 times and the refs show some ability to do their job, we still probably win. I'm just content with Chryst, he is what he is sometimes but he wants to be here and he recruits and coaches in a way that builds a program that sustains success. 

I don't care about fast tracked coordinators. Worrying about how long someone will stick around is how you end up with lesser candidates. That's little brother thinking. 

The simple fact is, we didn't win, and the same issues that show themselves in every one of our losses, showed themselves again. Those turnovers were overcome-able because our defense kept us in the game. Our offense, in all aspects, couldn't take advantage of a damn thing and the "shell" playbook shares massive blame for that. We literally saw what happens in an entire season where PC doesn't "trust" his QB in 2018. It was the worst year of watching Badgers football since the end of Alvarez's time here. Even Bielema's 8-6 team was a better watch because Bielema wasn't a sackless turd who is risk adverse in his playcalling. Think about that. A Matt Canada offense was more enjoyable to watch than a Paul Chryst offense. Matt. Canada. The. Meme. Guy.

I refuse to be "content" for any reason whatsoever. That's just loser talk and little brother bull****. If I wanted to have a mid-major approach, I'd go root for Buffalo and Leipold. 

Edited by beekay414

24 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I don't care about fast tracked coordinators. Worrying about how long someone will stick around is how you end up with lesser candidates. That's little brother thinking. 

The simple fact is, we didn't win, and the same issues that show themselves in every one of our losses, showed themselves again. Those turnovers were overcome-able because our defense kept us in the game. Our offense, in all aspects, couldn't take advantage of a damn thing and the "shell" playbook shares massive blame for that. We literally saw what happens in an entire season where PC doesn't "trust" his QB in 2018. It was the worst year of watching Badgers football since the end of Alvarez's time here. Even Bielema's 8-6 team was a better watch because Bielema wasn't a sackless turd who is risk adverse in his playcalling. Think about that. A Matt Canada offense was more enjoyable to watch than a Paul Chryst offense. Matt. Canada. The. Meme. Guy.

I refuse to be "content" for any reason whatsoever. That's just loser talk and little brother bull****. If I wanted to have a mid-major approach, I'd go root for Buffalo and Leipold. 

It's not little brother talk when your university can't or won't (not sure which honestly) spend or recruit with the big boys, and also will never hold the athletic programs to a higher standard than the academic programs. 

Year after year we beat teams who have the means to outspend and recruit us. That's because we know what we're doing. We've heard how Chryst recruits, it's "here's the program, here's the campus/facilities, here's what we see your future as, come here or don't." We're not hosting sleepovers or showing off rings. He gets the kids who like the fit and want to work. We win, develop NFL talent and are just now starting to recruit classes at the same clip as the nation's best. I see no reason to give this up because we're tricking ourselves into thinking we can be Bama, OSU or Oklahoma. We cannot without changes outside of the athletic department.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's not little brother talk when your university can't or won't (not sure which honestly) spend or recruit with the big boys, and also will never hold the athletic programs to a higher standard than the academic programs. 

Year after year we beat teams who have the means to outspend and recruit us. That's because we know what we're doing. We've heard how Chryst recruits, it's "here's the program, here's the campus/facilities, here's what we see your future as, come here or don't." We're not hosting sleepovers or showing off rings. He gets the kids who like the fit and want to work. We win, develop NFL talent and are just now starting to recruit classes at the same clip as the nation's best. I see no reason to give this up because we're tricking ourselves into thinking we can be Bama, OSU or Oklahoma. We cannot without changes outside of the athletic department.

Again, you're bringing up stuff that I'm not taking issue with. I've clearly stated my issue is in-game stuff with Chryst. So everything you keep repeating is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. I'm not unaware of how we operate. 

And I'm not asking us to be Alabama or Ohio State. I'm asking us to win friggin' once against a team of that caliber (I'll even settle for Oregon FFS) and just one season where we can put it together and at least get a CFP berth. But, nah, our AD is obsessed with just winning the West and getting to Pasadena. That's our sight every year despite the fact that we haven't won there in two decades.

14 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Again, you're bringing up stuff that I'm not taking issue with. I've clearly stated my issue is in-game stuff with Chryst. So everything you keep repeating is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. I'm not unaware of how we operate. 

And I'm not asking us to be Alabama or Ohio State. I'm asking us to win friggin' once against a team of that caliber (I'll even settle for Oregon FFS) and just one season where we can put it together and at least get a CFP berth. But, nah, our AD is obsessed with just winning the West and getting to Pasadena. That's our sight every year despite the fact that we haven't won there in two decades.

This team is definitely on a trajectory to get there with Chryst IMO. Maybe that's why I'm not sweating a bad loss with a frosh QB. Chryst's offense with Wilson got him a HC gig. With more time together with Mertz it will be there again.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This team is definitely on a trajectory to get there with Chryst IMO. Maybe that's why I'm not sweating a bad loss with a frosh QB. Chryst's offense with Wilson got him a HC gig. With more time together with Mertz it will be there again.

I just have my issues with how every loss it's the same stuff that causes it. We make mistakes or get put back into a corner and PC just curls into a ball rather than turning into a cornered animal. That's all. It's highly predictable and why I found myself laughing during the game today.

Edited by beekay414

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I just have my issues with how every loss it's the same stuff that causes it. We make mistakes or get put back into a corner and PC just curls into a ball rather than turning into a cornered animal. That's all. It's highly predictable and why I found myself laughing during the game today.

He needs some analytics influx on his staff for sure. Too many old football mentalities in him, there's still more gut feels coaching football than other sports, but there's some things he just does that make you feel like it's 1998.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

He needs some analytics influx on his staff for sure. Too many old football mentalities in him, there's still more gut feels coaching football than other sports, but there's some things he just does that make you feel like it's 1998.

I loved PC until 2018 happened. I know it was still a winning season but it was just miserable to watch and we had a friggin' 2000 yard rusher that year. The shell/safe offense, the "play not to lose" and lose gameplan just peeves me more than anything in sports.