Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

More than schemes or coaching this team just needs better athletes. Been apparent all year that we have minimal NFL talent on this starting roster as it stands. 

Bring me whoever the search committee thinks is the best recruiter out there and we'll figure out the rest. If that's Leonhard I'm fine with it, but there should be a national search before we give it to anyone.

Next season is completely dependent on the transfer portal as this incoming class sucks. We were never going to get Caleb Williams, but could we get someone at the level of Jayden Daniels? With Graham Mertz back next year will be a colossal failure.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

I don’t know what to think. Part of me wants them to burn it down and start over. Another part of me wants to hire Leonhard and make him hire a new offensive staff. The other part wants a new coaching staff except Leonhard (and have him be DC). There are problems with all of those.

On principle,  I don't think forcing a HC to keep a coach in a specific role or forcing a HC to have to hire a new set of coaches is a good idea.

Ultimately if McIntosh feels Leonhard is the best person for the HC position, you hire him and give him full freedom to fill out his coaching staff as he wants to.  

I don't think Leonhard has shown enough to warrant him being hired prior to a full fledged national search.  Reports that there could be an announcement early this week seems quick, but maybe that is what is needed in this crucial recruiting window over the next few weeks.

For me, Leonhard would have needed to really been impressive during an interview with some details of what his vision for UW football is/ should be and who his staff will/ could be comprised of to see that vision to reality. 

Edited by squire12

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

On principle,  I don't think forcing a HC to keep a coach in a specific role or forcing a HC to have to hire a new set of coaches is a good idea.

Ultimately if McIntosh feels Leonhard is the best person for the HC position, you hire him and give him full freedom to fill out his coaching staff as he wants to.  

I don't think Leonhard has shown enough to warrant him being hired prior to a full fledged national search.  Reports that there could be an announcement early this week seems quick, but maybe that is what is needed in this crucial recruiting window over the next few weeks.

For me, Leonhard would have needed to really been impressive during an interview with some details of what his vision for UW football is/ should be and who his staff will/ could be comprised of to see that vision to reality. 

I agree. A national search is needed. The only things keeping me from saying Leonhard isn’t it, are 1) How much could we expect him to improve the play if the players just aren’t good enough? And 2) how much effect does a defensive coach have over offensive performance?

38 minutes ago, squire12 said:
53 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

I don’t know what to think. Part of me wants them to burn it down and start over. Another part of me wants to hire Leonhard and make him hire a new offensive staff. The other part wants a new coaching staff except Leonhard (and have him be DC). There are problems with all of those.

Well...I mean I guess, but not really.

The program needs new investment and focus in recruiting. That is a program decision, not a head coach decision. If Leonhard's desired assistant coaches aren't the type of people to recruit well, then Leonhard isn't the right coach, and UW needs to be getting confirmation of that during the interview process.

So sure, give the freedom to the HC to hire the people he wants but only after we verify that the HC will only hire from a pool a people with the characteristics we want.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

55 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

Wisconsin needs to realize that the mistake made was Chryst was given too much autonomy in hiring decisions and recruiting. He ended up letting the staffing in the recruiting department go to rot and hired coaches who didn't view it as a priority. We're feeling the sharp end of that stick now.

Don't get me wrong, that's a big mistake, but the program doesn't need open heart surgery. There's a blueprint to follow here, not only what we've done in the past, but hell, Michigan beat Ohio State yesterday playing our style of football. The program needs some money for staff, a renewed sense of vision, and a leader up top that gives us the warm fuzzies that it's gonna be okay.

• Like 3

Yesterday was a perfect example of what ruined this era of Badgers football, we lost to a kid that went to HS 90 minutes from us, never offered or recruited him. He's a hell of a lot better than anything at QB on this roster. I'm not sure what drove Chryst to get so damn lazy in recruiting, but it cost him a job he probably would've maintained as long as he wanted had we continued on the 9-10 wins a year route.

We cannot continue to just drop offers for the Southern scraps at DB and WR if we want to compete in this modern version of football. I would need a firm vision for what Leonhard wants his offense to look like, because this inspires no skill players or QBs to want to come here, and that's pretty much a death sentence for championship hopes right there. If Leonhard is the guy, the bigger hire is the OC.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Well...I mean I guess, but not really.

The program needs new investment and focus in recruiting. That is a program decision, not a head coach decision. If Leonhard's desired assistant coaches aren't the type of people to recruit well, then Leonhard isn't the right coach, and UW needs to be getting confirmation of that during the interview process.

Agreed its a program decision.  If Leonhard wants better investment in recruiting and that gets shot down, he shouldn't take the job.  If he doesn't care about investment in recruiting,  he shouldn't be hired.  

So sure, give the freedom to the HC to hire the people he wants but only after we verify that the HC will only hire from a pool a people with the characteristics we want.

The HC that gets hired should have a short list of OC, DC and position coach options as a starting point.  If they don't, they are not prepared for the job.

I'm not sure who "we" is pertaining to??  This forum?  Athletic department?

Assuming it's the latter....

That seems like It's teetering on restricting who the HC can hire onto their staff.

Wisconsin needs to realize that the mistake made was Chryst was given too much autonomy in hiring decisions and recruiting. He ended up letting the staffing in the recruiting department go to rot and hired coaches who didn't view it as a priority. We're feeling the sharp end of that stick now.

Don't get me wrong, that's a big mistake, but the program doesn't need open heart surgery. There's a blueprint to follow here, not only what we've done in the past, but hell, Michigan beat Ohio State yesterday playing our style of football. The program needs some money for staff, a renewed sense of vision, and a leader up top that gives us the warm fuzzies that it's gonna be okay.

Michigan won playing a style UW wants to play but doing so with much better resources in personnel.