Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Great move if they can make it work. Physical style of smash mouth football and he will poach a ton of the 3-4 star talent that OSU doesn’t offer in Southwest Ohio. 

Absolutely. And if he can somehow keep Leonhard on staff? Though I sometimes think it's better to not keep the interim coach around. If I'm Nick Saban, I'm offering Leonhard everything to be my DC (not that Leonhard needs the money).

Just now, JammerHammer21 said:

Absolutely. And if he can somehow keep Leonhard on staff? Though I sometimes think it's better to not keep the interim coach around. If I'm Nick Saban, I'm offering Leonhard everything to be my DC (not that Leonhard needs the money).

Fickell is a defensive savant, so as long as Leonard is willing to run his style of defense and stay on as almost an assistant DC, yes.

19 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Agreed its a program decision.  If Leonhard wants better investment in recruiting and that gets shot down, he shouldn't take the job.  If he doesn't care about investment in recruiting,  he shouldn't be hired. 

The HC that gets hired should have a short list of OC, DC and position coach options as a starting point.  If they don't, they are not prepared for the job.

I'm not sure who "we" is pertaining to??  This forum?  Athletic department?

Assuming it's the latter....

That seems like It's teetering on restricting who the HC can hire onto their staff.

We're saying the same thing. Trust, but verify first.

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Fickell is a defensive savant, so as long as Leonard is willing to run his style of defense and stay on as almost an assistant DC, yes.

Leonhard's gone. Fickell or no Fickell, we've made our decision as a program, JL's not the guy for us, but he will be a good HC at a smaller school.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Leonhard's gone. Fickell or no Fickell, we've made our decision as a program, JL's not the guy for us, but he will be a good HC at a smaller school.

Yeah probably unfortunately. Plus, while Fickell stayed on with Urban after being the interim, Meyer was an offensive HC. But of a difference here IMO, especially if the believe it’s a “culture issue”, which is really a reason why you go after Fickell. He’s going to turn any program into a physically, emotionally, and mentally tough team.

51 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

I can't imagine that Leonhard sticks around.  Getting passed over on the HC gig at his Alma Mater.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Would be funny for him to go to UC 🤷‍♂️ 

Let's get weird

Honestly, it'd be interesting to see what happens with him.  I know he turned down the Green Bay job last time the Packers were looking for a DC, I almost wonder if he'd have interest if Joe Barry gets fired this offseason.  I wouldn't be surprised if he landed with Baylor in an analyst role for a year.