Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m just guessing, but his goal from day 1 will be fixing your front 7. You’ll probably switch to a 4-3 and get more athletic in the secondary.

All for it. DBs have been the biggest issue this program has outside of QB. They just can't defend a pass game with a pulse. Hopefully we're done with 5'10" guys at CB across the board. I'm hoping he brings Hardaway with him but I question the academics and whether we'll open the door to get talent.

15 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

All for it. DBs have been the biggest issue this program has outside of QB. They just can't defend a pass game with a pulse. Hopefully we're done with 5'10" guys at CB across the board. I'm hoping he brings Hardaway with him but I question the academics and whether we'll open the door to get talent.

I doubt this changes academic standards for athletes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

We're not pulling Fickell if they neuter his recruiting base right off the bat. If they're serious about competing, they're going to have to make some concessions in that department, otherwise we're walking into another Gary Andersen situation. Also need to remember that Becky Blank is no longer chancellor. 

Edited by beekay414

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

We're not pulling Fickell if they neuter his recruiting base right off the bat. If they're serious about competing, they're going to have to make some concessions in that department, otherwise we're walking into another Gary Andersen situation. Also need to remember that Becky Blank is no longer chancellor. 

What I wonder is, once the athletes are in the school are they held to different academic standards (not necessarily GPA, but how hard it is to get grades, attendance, etc).

8 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

How this actually works, to the best of my knowledge, is that the final yes/no is not up to one individual, and there is not one single person in charge of athlete standards or anything like that. UW athletics (and pretty much the rest of the UW system, including the chancellor) has no direct access to the admissions department, their only option is to wait for the verdict and then try to appeal and schedule a meeting. But with no way to enforce any issues for admissions, the meeting is "can we address the concerns you have", not "we need him, change your mind".

So yeah it's not changing.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

How this actually works, to the best of my knowledge, is that the final yes/no is not up to one individual, and there is not one single person in charge of athlete standards or anything like that. UW athletics (and pretty much the rest of the UW system, including the chancellor) has no direct access to the admissions department, their only option is to wait for the verdict and then try to appeal and schedule a meeting. But with no way to enforce any issues for admissions, the meeting is "can we address the concerns you have", not "we need him, change your mind".

That's pretty ******* archaic tbqh. 

2 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

What I wonder is, once the athletes are in the school are they held to different academic standards (not necessarily GPA, but how hard it is to get grades, attendance, etc).

We have athlete classes to help bump GPA, and we have tutors who "help" students with homework for kinesiology degrees if people want that, but if you major in engineering and play football the standard is the same.

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

We have athlete classes to help bump GPA, and we have tutors who "help" students with homework for kinesiology degrees if people want that, but if you major in engineering and play football the standard is the same.

Ok interesting. If they’re getting this “help” anyways I’m not sure why the standards to get in are that different for our athletes compared to other schools.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's totally unaccountable in reporting or decision making by design. They don't want other people in the system influencing them.

Of course as fans we're gonna hate it.

I think it's pretty ignorant and shortsighted. It's a "one size fits all" rule to academics when not all academics are created equal. Completely destroys any chance for kids from lesser academic backgrounds from getting into school.

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Sheesh, we had direct access to admissions in D3. Every commit we had was turned into admissions as a football player. They even gave us 5 "no's" we could turn to "yes" every class. Granted they had to be close, they weren't admitting a 1.2 GPA kid or anything, but those 2.5-3.0 kids without a great ACT or resumes, that would've been rejected as basic students, we got them in.

1 minute ago, packerstk7 said:

Ok interesting. If they’re getting this “help” anyways I’m not sure why the standards to get in are that different for our athletes compared to other schools.

I mean, I think there's absolutely an argument for it:

The failure rate out of UW is crazy. Legitimately 25% of the dorm was just gone the first January. It's really hard for everyone, but especially if you came from a rural school where AP classes and everything were not an option for you. A lot of people see the learning rate, freak out, never try/party for 3 months, and drop out.

If that happens to our recruiting class every year, we are screwed. Injuries and football development are plenty of attrition, we can't be bringing in morons.