Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

If this was last year, GG.

The defense has been worse than it's ever been in the PC era though, so with 1 minute and 3 TOs I am sweating bullets.

Either way, hell of a drive by Horni. Problem this game has been our playcalling, he's been fine tonight. Sure, he only got a 28 yard gain instead of what should have been a TD with a proper armed QB, but oh well. His flaws can be played around, at least against teams like Iowa. 

Glad to escape with a win but as a fan you just can’t feel good about this game, this team or this program going forward. For one, we needed two flukey ST TOs to even win against a pretty average Iowa squad. We were the #4 team coming into the season but here we are just relieved to beat an Iowa team that we beat 38-14 (w/ 2 Horni pick 6s) last year. What the hell happened?

For the past offseason or so we’ve all been thinking “all we need is a QB, all we need is a QB” but that was assuming the defenses (particularly front 7s) we’ve had the past 5 years would become the norm here the way us having a good run game is the norm... but here we are, and our front 7 has gotten wrecked by BYU and Iowa in back to back games. I am growing very concerned that our stretch of nationally great defenses was either the Arranda effect (don’t underrate his influence, the man is getting paid more than many HCs for his defensive expertise!), or classes we just got lucky with. Lord knows we aren’t going to just start recruiting better talent, which means we are screwed if these coaches cannot develop talent as well as we thought.

7 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Glad to escape with a win but as a fan you just can’t feel good about this game, this team or this program going forward. For one, we needed two flukey ST TOs to even win against a pretty average Iowa squad. We were the #4 team coming into the season but here we are just relieved to beat an Iowa team that we beat 38-14 (w/ 2 Horni pick 6s) last year. What the hell happened?

For the past offseason or so we’ve all been thinking “all we need is a QB, all we need is a QB” but that was assuming the defenses (particularly front 7s) we’ve had the past 5 years would become the norm here the way us having a good run game is the norm... but here we are, and our front 7 has gotten wrecked by BYU and Iowa in back to back games. I am growing very concerned that our stretch of nationally great defenses was either the Arranda effect (don’t underrate his influence, the man is getting paid more than many HCs for his defensive expertise!), or classes we just got lucky with. Lord knows we aren’t going to just start recruiting better talent, which means we are screwed if these coaches cannot develop talent as well as we thought.

Wisconsin will continue to be Wisconsin. I'm not worried about our future at DL or LB at all. Nor am I OL, RB or TE on O. I'm hoping like hell Mertz is legit. However I don't see anything that tells me we'll get some WRs or DBs that scare anyone anytime soon.

Is there any chance we would bring in Kelly Bryant, and bench Horni his senior year? (I assume bringing him in would involve a promise that he will start). Honestly not even sure I'd rather have Bryant than Horni, and I pretty much know PC would never do his guy Horni like that.... but grad transfer QB season is the only time I feel like we can compete with the big boys in recruiting so I can't help but get excited even it doesn't make any sense, like in this situation lol