Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

15 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Really is a shame to waste a year of JT. Need Mertz to make an immediate impact, because there’s no way Taylor should stick around for his senior year and absorb another 300+ carries.

If his fumble problems continue and doesn't show he has ability to catch passes out of backfield then maybe he stays 4 years? (latter not that big of an issue because we never really utilize our RBs much in the passing game, and yet 2 of the best receiving backs in the NFL are Badgers, and Clement is not bad either, but he has had drops so bit of a concern)

I mean if I'm an NFL team I trust I can fix the fumbling and would take him in round 2 right now, but who knows what feedback he'll get from committee.

I, selfishly, want JT23 to stay four years. I want to see him absolutely shatter the FBS rushing record and challenge the entire NCAA rushing record (Nate Kmic, 8,074 yards). Hell, he could break it next year if all goes well. He's currently at 3,846 career rushing yards with 2 games to go. We'll stick with a little below his YPG for the 2018 season (170) and say he finishes the year with an additional 290 yards, which puts him at 4,136 after two seasons. Donnell Pomphrey owns the FBS record of 6,405 yards (which obviously wouldn't be the record if Ron Dayne had bowl game stats accounted for). JT23 would need one hell of a junior year to break it in 3 years but we've seen Melvin Gordon go for 2587 yards before! 

16 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Great throw and catch by Coan and DDIII there. Where has this been all year!? DDIII is a damn tease with all these sporadic flashes of greatness. Hopefully he puts it together by junior or senior year and actually becomes a stud #1 for us.

Yes, hopefully DDIII will show more of this the next 2 years.  I kinda like what I saw with Coan too.   If would be fun if he could become good enough QB so we can have a more balanced offensive attack.  I don't recall many times when we were down by 2 scores in the 4th and came back to win.

I'm going to temper my expectations on Mertz a bit. He made some throws in that video that would've been picked off at the major NCAA football level. He can get away with some of those throws against Kansas high school football players but it's not going to fly vs NFL talent that teams like Michigan and Ohio State pull in.

On 11/17/2018 at 9:22 PM, beekay414 said:

I, selfishly, want JT23 to stay four years. I want to see him absolutely shatter the FBS rushing record and challenge the entire NCAA rushing record (Nate Kmic, 8,074 yards). Hell, he could break it next year if all goes well. He's currently at 3,846 career rushing yards with 2 games to go. We'll stick with a little below his YPG for the 2018 season (170) and say he finishes the year with an additional 290 yards, which puts him at 4,136 after two seasons. Donnell Pomphrey owns the FBS record of 6,405 yards (which obviously wouldn't be the record if Ron Dayne had bowl game stats accounted for). JT23 would need one hell of a junior year to break it in 3 years but we've seen Melvin Gordon go for 2587 yards before! 

Want to add on to this...

Taylor, for his career, is actually averaging more yards per game than Ron Dayne did when he ran for 7125 yards so his numbers aren't a result of the extra games. Taylor is averaging 154 yards per game while Dayne averaged 151. 

If he does come back for his senior year, and stays healthy the entire time, he WILL break Nate Kmic's all-level record which would be practically untouchable on an FBS level.