Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Couldn’t agree more. Embarrassing showing. D played fine, but only fine by their standard. The win is 100% on them (even if they fell asleep in the end).

Offense was once again awful. There’s just no passing game, and the run game is good but not nearly good enough to carry an anemic pass game. The only RB who I’d call talented is 17, and the OL is one of our worst in recent memory. Just a mess.

I like Mertz, but is there anything he does particularly well? Just see 0 to look forward to with him. Has to improve in so many areas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I like Mertz, but is there anything he does particularly well? Just see 0 to look forward to with him. Has to improve in so many areas.

I wanna see what he can do with a real coach before I completely give up on him. The tools are evident but nothing about this offense is good so that kinda doesn't help him much.

Mertz has had 12 starts now since the immaculate debut, and the numbers are vomit inducing. Of course the coaching, supporting cast, etc., all play a role in this too but... yikes.

6-6, 20.8 PPG

1,883 yards, 56.4% completions, 6 TDs, 12 INTs, 105.1 PR

4 lost fumbles, 2 rush TDs

1,883 yards in 12 games in 2021 is just insane. Such an anemic passing attack can be pinned on just about every player/coach involved in this mess of an offense. The lowest passing yards a Wisconsin team has had over a 12 game regular season this century? 2000 and 2018 teams both had just 1,977 yards. Wait, 2018?... I guess it's no so insane after all given our coach. I think Jonathan Taylor single handedly covered up a quickly failing coaching philosophy and approach to program building that began 5 years ago. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Mertz has had 12 starts now since the immaculate debut, and the numbers are vomit inducing. Of course the coaching, supporting cast, etc., all play a role in this too but... yikes.

6-6, 20.8 PPG

1,883 yards, 56.4% completions, 6 TDs, 12 INTs, 105.1 PR

4 lost fumbles, 2 rush TDs

1,883 yards in 12 games in 2021 is just insane. Such an anemic passing attack can be pinned on just about every player/coach involved in this mess of an offense. The lowest passing yards a Wisconsin team has had over a 12 game regular season this century? 2000 and 2018 teams both had just 1,977 yards. Wait, 2018?... I guess it's no so insane after all given our coach. I think Jonathan Taylor single handedly covered up a quickly failing coaching philosophy and approach to program building that began 5 years ago. 

He's transparently too scared to play the position. If the first read isn't there, he panics and scrambles. He can't adjust in the pocket, he can't keep his eyes downfield, and he immediately curls up under any pressure.

I wish he was good, but he's broken, and playing him more won't help.

Yeah it's fallen apart for Chryst and Co this year, enough so that it might be enough for the athletic department to consider moving on. This is one of the more talented offense we've ever had and it's probably the worst I can remember watching in awhile.

Leonhard is an obvious choice to replace him, young offensive minds will want to link up to that defense so they can be recognized when we win and get a HC gig.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah it's fallen apart for Chryst and Co this year, enough so that it might be enough for the athletic department to consider moving on. This is one of the more talented offense we've ever had and it's probably the worst I can remember watching in awhile.

Leonhard is an obvious choice to replace him, young offensive minds will want to link up to that defense so they can be recognized when we win and get a HC gig.

How do you figure? Going off our standards this is a below average OL, RB group, and awful QB room. If by talent you mean 247 ratings, then maybe, but I think this is a very average offense talent wise that is combined with poor coaching to produce one of league’s worst Os.

13 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

How do you figure? Going off our standards this is a below average OL, RB group, and awful QB room. If by talent you mean 247 ratings, then maybe, but I think this is a very average offense talent wise that is combined with poor coaching to produce one of league’s worst Os.

Based on recruiting rankings this is one of the most talented offenses. We're the school that consistently coached up lesser talent, now we finally have some high end recruiting classes and we're coaching them down.