Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

I am still in disbelief we made this move. I do feel bad for Jim, but if Fickell was on the table we had to get him. What he did at Cincinnati is crazy. This is an exciting hire as it shows most commitment yet to taking the next step to some day competing with the Ohio States.

A bit risky in that he is not in the Alvarez tree and GA made it seem like the only way to succeed here was doing things Alvarez’s way, but we were never gonna make that next step that way. We’ll see if Fickell can upgrade Wisconsin like he did Cincy.

Next year could be a bit rough as a transition year, and I expect many transfers, but exciting times are ahead!

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Read these last night. I don't think there's a Badger fan on the planet that questions who Paul Chryst and Jim Leonhard are as men. This has nothing to do with that, as far as I'm concerned. It's just a clean break and an opportunity to land an incredible coach, with outside perspective, that fits our profile of what we try to be. Fickell is basically a seasoned Jim Leonhard. He's the absolute perfect hire outside of the Wisconsin Way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Read these last night. I don't think there's a Badger fan on the planet that questions who Paul Chryst and Jim Leonhard are as men. This has nothing to do with that, as far as I'm concerned. It's just a clean break and an opportunity to land an incredible coach, with outside perspective, that fits our profile of what we try to be. Fickell is basically a seasoned Jim Leonhard. He's the absolute perfect hire outside of the Wisconsin Way. 

Yeah posted it here because there are people who don't have twitter, and the stories about people after they leave are the ultimate test of character.

• Like 1

Hope this kills all the morons over on the cesspool Buckyville who said that McIntosh was impulsive and changed his mind last second after the Minnesota loss. Also, those that said the local media and Leonhard were done dirty because they lead him on and told people the job was his.

https://uwbadgers.com/news/2022/11/28/football-lucas-fickell-eager-to-help-badgers-grow-and-evolve.aspx

Fickell also met with Leonhard for about an hour on Sunday night.

"I look forward to spending some more time with him on Wednesday," Fickell said. "I'm really open-minded. Being in a unique situation (as Ohio State's interim head coach in 2011) that was probably very similar to Jim's position, I really understand a lot of the things he could be going through.

"I told him, 'I want to do what's best for you. I want to do what's best for the program. I want to do what's best for these kids. I don't know if we know exactly what that is. Where's your heart and your mind? I'm sure you need to take a little time here (to think about things).
"'Let's continue to talk and get to know each other better and see where it goes.'"

Fickell re-emphasized that he's "very open" to exploring every avenue with Leonhard. "I respect the hell out of Jim," he said. "I don't know him well. But I know him from afar. I know some of the guys who were on our (UC) staff have visited with him and they know him a little bit. Better than I did.

"Nobody has said anything beyond having the most respect for him. I know how he feels about this place. I think he will be able to give me a great indication of what he thinks is the best thing for him as well as the program and the team."