Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

10 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

We have a  very stable program that is steadily recruiting at a higher level each year. The talent level is going up, slowly, but surely.

Is our recruiting getting better or is the state of Wisconsin just having a talent bloom at the right time/a little more love from the recruiting services? I don't see any skill position players that we went out and won a recruiting battle for? Even Kaden Johnson doesn't look like he was that hotly recruited just looking at his 247 page. 

15 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is our recruiting getting better or is the state of Wisconsin just having a talent bloom at the right time/a little more love from the recruiting services? I don't see any skill position players that we went out and won a recruiting battle for? Even Kaden Johnson doesn't look like he was that hotly recruited just looking at his 247 page. 

We're recruiting better. If you add Berger, 3 OOS 4* prospects ties last year for our all time high. If you look by average recruit ranking, we are continuing to improve. Part of that is that Wisconsin kids are being ranked higher, but not all of it.

How we recruit better isn't by necessarily being a helmet school, it's by identifying kids early. Nick Herbig could have gotten a ton more offers, but we got him signed on pretty early. The same thing happened with the younger Sanborn brother. So the offer lists look deceptive since schools realize they're too late to the party.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any insight on the Berger recruitment? Every expert had him going to RU once Schiano went on his recruiting rampage. Seemed we shifted our focus to Bradford. Then a few days ago Evan Daniels reported that we were looking at RBs in the transfer portal for RBs, at that point people seemed to be worrying we were going to miss on Bradford. Now suddenly a flurry of Berger cystal balls a few days before he announces?

On 1/1/2020 at 8:38 PM, titans0021 said:

Everything had to go wrong in order to lose by one.

You can't turn the ball over 4 times and expect to win.  We lost to Illinois doing the same damn thing.   It didn't help when we couldn't run the ball and Coan won't throw the ball more than 5 yards 75% of the time.  I will say Oregon's defenders were great tacklers so only a couple of times did we get any YACs.

On 1/1/2020 at 9:58 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Of course I don't think we'd beat LSU or Clemson, but I think this was our best shot to make the playoffs and bump off Ohio State that we're going to see in a while. 

We're going to lose Taylor, Cephus, and Biadasz. Are Davis, Pryor, or Dunn looking like they're going to be half of what Cephus is? We're gearing up for another one of those years where we don't have a bellcow back, and frankly the interior of the line is going to be gone with all three guys and the top backup being gone. Van Lanen might even be gone. That group is probably going to be very mediocre next year. 

The two difference makers on this defense in Orr and Baun are also going to be gone. Big shoes to fill.

But Mertz might have been a difference maker in the Rose Bowl seeing we could run the ball worth a damn.  

15 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Does anyone have any insight on the Berger recruitment? Every expert had him going to RU once Schiano went on his recruiting rampage. Seemed we shifted our focus to Bradford. Then a few days ago Evan Daniels reported that we were looking at RBs in the transfer portal for RBs, at that point people seemed to be worrying we were going to miss on Bradford. Now suddenly a flurry of Berger cystal balls a few days before he announces?

He only took 2 officials, us and UCLA. He said himself this week he's committing to a school he took an official to, so I think that's why the crystal balls are all coming in.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

247 released a rankings update preview and said they might bump Jack Nelson to a 5*.

To go with Brown and Tippmann last year and also Wedig this year. Already have two 4* OL committed for 2021 and the top 2 OL in the country right now for 2022 are WI kids. Next RB here could have a field day so long as we develop talent on the OL like we're known to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pugger said:

Oregon got most of their points off turnovers.  We don't turn it over and the game isn't even close IMO.

And how does that make what I said untrue? There were literally 3 consecutive calls that made no sense, in the red zone, that took 4 points potentially off the board. There's your victory even with the TOs. Just because one aspect of the game was bad does not mean another wasn't. 

31 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

And how does that make what I said untrue? There were literally 3 consecutive calls that made no sense, in the red zone, that took 4 points potentially off the board. There's your victory even with the TOs. Just because one aspect of the game was bad does not mean another wasn't. 

That's like having your car's engine on fire and blaming a flat tire for why you can't drive it.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

That's like having your car's engine on fire and blaming a flat tire for why you can't drive it.

Lol no it's not. Bad playcalling is bad playcalling. We did stupid stuff A LOT on offense and it all wasn't just the turnovers. I mean, weren't we bitching for an entire half about not getting 87 the ball? But sure, you keep telling us the playcalling wasn't an issue. We scored 17 points and averaged 3.7 ypc on offense. If you're okay with that, fine, but you can't ***** at others that aren't. 

4 RBs and Jack Dunn. Might as well tell Oregon you're running the ball.