Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Any way Logan Brown plays a year of guard and then shifts outside? That IOL depth chart is terrible, then you have guys like Beach and Brown as backups. I think Beach is built a little lanky to play OG, but I think Brown could.

It's the Badgers though so I'm sure some prior walk-on guy has tried really hard for 4-5 years in practice and deserves the spot.

Everything I heard about of practice was that he was still learning and didn't get enough reps. I'd rather give them time to one of the other freshman who probably should stay inside than start shifting him around and making him learn anything besides LT.

Also @beekay414 of the 2 freshman tackles Wedig probably plays earlier. Nelson got ratings bumps because he's the leaner, new school OT and that's what 247 loves, but Nelson is like ~280 right now and Wedig has been 320 for a year plus now. I don't think any true freshman would play on our OL, but if anyone would, it'd be a Wedig type.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Everything I heard about of practice was that he was still learning and didn't get enough reps. I'd rather give them time to one of the other freshman who probably should stay inside than start shifting him around and making him learn anything besides LT.

Also @beekay414 of the 2 freshman tackles Wedig probably plays earlier. Nelson got ratings bumps because he's the leaner, new school OT and that's what 247 loves, but Nelson is like ~280 right now and Wedig has been 320 for a year plus now. I don't think any true freshman would play on our OL, but if anyone would, it'd be a Wedig type.

I just thought Nelson made sense at RT. Really not even sure what to expect on the OL so it's all best guess. Like PR pointed out, we'll probably start some massive walk-on dude vs App State. 

I'll say this though, if our starting backfield is Coan and Watson/Groshek, we're not going to put up points. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, beekay414 said:

2021 QB commit Deacon Hill is up to an .8680 247 composite rating. He was a low 3* for the longest time. We get in on another good one early like we did with Mertz?

His arm is bananas. I don't think he's Mertz good or anything, but it sounds like he's been steadily trimming the baby fat. If he can become more mobile in the pocket, then yeah I think he's in the 90-92 range using the 247 scale.

• Like 2

So, assuming we even have the season, which is most likely to happen without a real camp, who are we looking at as RB1? I'm assuming, by definition, it's going to be Garrett Groshek but who handles the majority of the runs? Are we going to go with a committee of Groshek, Watson, Berger, Davis until one of them distances himself? Is Julius Davis even going to get the chance at snaps? 

I really don't have any faith in Nakia Watson so he's my least favorite of the four options. He hit more ***** at the line of scrimmage than he did holes and his balance is just terrible. I know he was a freshman but he was not impressive at all. Groshek is a turd but he's got PC's trust so I fully expect him to be RB1 at the start. Berger is the sensational true freshman but the lack of camp could hinder his ability to be RB1 out of the gates, and let's be honest here, if JT23 wasn't RB1 out of the gates, there's no chance Berger is either. Julius Davis is the forgotten man but he's my favorite of the non-Bergers. I hope he gets that chance and they don't prematurely change his position. Is Isaac Guerendo still at RB or did we move him back to WR? If we kept him at RB, he's actually my favorite of the non-Bergers based on his tools. It's just whether or not he understands the RB position and how his vision is. He's a blazer and we could use him as a weapon in the pass game (much more than Groshek can be). 

Edited by beekay414

14 hours ago, beekay414 said:

So, assuming we even have the season, which is most likely to happen without a real camp, who are we looking at as RB1? I'm assuming, by definition, it's going to be Garrett Groshek but who handles the majority of the runs? Are we going to go with a committee of Groshek, Watson, Berger, Davis until one of them distances himself? Is Julius Davis even going to get the chance at snaps? 

I really don't have any faith in Nakia Watson so he's my least favorite of the four options. He hit more ***** at the line of scrimmage than he did holes and his balance is just terrible. I know he was a freshman but he was not impressive at all. Groshek is a turd but he's got PC's trust so I fully expect him to be RB1 at the start. Berger is the sensational true freshman but the lack of camp could hinder his ability to be RB1 out of the gates, and let's be honest here, if JT23 wasn't RB1 out of the gates, there's no chance Berger is either. Julius Davis is the forgotten man but he's my favorite of the non-Bergers. I hope he gets that chance and they don't prematurely change his position. Is Isaac Guerendo still at RB or did we move him back to WR? If we kept him at RB, he's actually my favorite of the non-Bergers based on his tools. It's just whether or not he understands the RB position and how his vision is. He's a blazer and we could use him as a weapon in the pass game (much more than Groshek can be). 

Watson gets the bulk of early downs, Groshek gets 3rd down/passing/screen situations, and you rotate everyone else for a few carries to spell them and see if anyone behind them pops.