Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

Just a little blip on the QBs from Jesse Temple's spring practices article from today...

It’s not a stretch to suggest that Mordecai and Locke represent the best 1-2 quarterback combination that Wisconsin has had in years. Mordecai has stacked five straight impressive practices together, finding receivers in tight windows, taking advantage of mismatches and throwing teammates open. On Saturday, he completed a pretty pass to Dike on the right sideline for a first down, delivering the ball in the right spot before Dike even came out of his break.

Spending last season playing at Mississippi State in Mike Leach’s Air Raid system clearly has helped Locke grasp Longo’s concepts. It’s a real coup for Wisconsin to have a backup quarterback the caliber of Locke.

It certainly feels as though walk-on Marshall Howe is making a strong push for Wisconsin’s third-string quarterback role behind Mordecai and Locke. Howe was the first quarterback to take snaps with the third-team offense in 11-on-11 team drills.

Oklahoma transfer Nick Evers went next and, on his first pass, overthrew a receiver across the middle. Later, Evers had a handoff exchange issue with running back Zach Gloudeman on an RPO look that led to a fumble, and he was immediately replaced by Howe. Myles Burkett also has earned reps with the third-team offense. Evers has a lot of ground to cover to be on the same level as Mordecai and Locke, but he has the talent to make a move over the next several months with more knowledge of the offensive system.

On 4/10/2023 at 11:41 AM, beekay414 said:
On 4/10/2023 at 11:34 AM, Tetsujin said:

UW was one of the last traditional ground n' pound running teams in major CFB. I'm gonna miss that.

We won't lol

I think I may actually miss it a bit.

The moment after the first 1st down on a long field that we run for where you think "oh we're gonna get 6 without throwing once" is great. The inevitability of it all something you don't get with the explosive offense.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think I may actually miss it a bit.

The moment after the first 1st down on a long field that we run for where you think "oh we're gonna get 6 without throwing once" is great. The inevitability of it all something you don't get with the explosive offense.

I'll gladly throw that all away for a 1st down pass lmao

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'll definitely quote that back during the season about how dumb it is. But I will also miss that feeling. Best part of being a Wisconsin fan IMO.

Just remember, Cinci has had some dudes at RB and TE who have really excelled in this system, so IMO it's a perfect bridge match. They have had guys like Ford who can flat out run the ball and some guys in the 2TE sets (you read that right) that have done really well despite the spread look.

From a personnel standpoint, it's not THAT drastic from what you'd think IMO.

24 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

It was still effective with Kevin Hogan

2012: 27.9 PPG (72nd out of 124)
2013: 32.2 PPG (45th out of 124)
2014: 27.2 PPG (80th out of 128)
2015: 37.8 PPG (18th out of 128) - this is where CMC came into the picture as RB1

So it was effective in 2 of 4 seasons under Hogan and one of them had a transcendent talent at RB. Now compare that to the seasons with Andrew Luck (35.5 - 12th, 40.3 - 9th, 43.2 - 7th). The drop off in "effectiveness" was significant after Luck left and until CMC became RB1. 2013 was also skewed by their early games. As the season went on, they averaged 28.4 PPG over their last 9 games and that included a 63 point outburst against a 1-11 Cal team (24.1 PPG vs the other 8 teams). Hogan also only averaged 196 passing yards a game for his career.

2017: 33.8 PPG (28th out of 130)
2018: 29.7 PPG (62nd out of 130)
2019: 34.1 PPG (23rd out of 130)

That is what Wisconsin did when Jonathan Taylor entered the picture. They were similarly ranked the 2 seasons that Melvin Gordon was a featured back. 

So, in the modern era of college football, to run an effective run heavy scheme, you either need a transcendent QB or a transcendent RB. It's not something that can be sustained. Just ask Iowa. They've had 3 offenses in the last 10 years average over 30 points and place top half of college football. 

Edited by beekay414